Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there - I am doing a HNC (and possibly continuing to a HND) and I would like to understand the grading system in the UK.

Obviously the higher the grade, the better... but do I need to achieve high grades?
    I am doing the course vocationally what happens if I just average Pass grade?
    Will I just pass and get the HNC/HND? Do I need a certain amount of Merit or Distinction?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you want to do after it. If your aim is to go on to a top up degree at university after HND, the higher the grade the more likely you will be accepted. If you are looking to go in to employment, the higher the grade the more appealing you will be to prospective employers but as long as you pass you will still stand a good chance of finding work.

I am 1 month away from finishing a HND in Applied Chemistry. I will be going on to 3rd year of a BSc in Forensic Science and all distinctions will make the transition a lot more manageable.

ReputationRep:
    What happens if I average my HNC to pass? Will I still be able to continue to a HND on the same subject? As I am doing the HNC first and then the HND, if I want to do the top up, will it matter the grading of both or just the HND?

I am doing this course vocationally as it's not related to my work industry (who knows, I could change) though I would still like to finish it with okay grades. So far I have 2 merits and 2 passes and I am struggling to understand what is needed to keep grades consistent!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know its been a long time since you have done your top-up degree but how was it compared to the HND and if you moved out did you find suitable accommodation. Reason I am asking is because I will be doing a top-up in a few weeks.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.