Turn on thread page Beta

Contacting the police watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I want to contact the police and ask them to do something about people cycling on the pavements. I have nearly been hit twice by bikes. Obviously I do not want to call 999 but do police stations have an email address or someone I can contact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1001)
    Basically I want to contact the police and ask them to do something about people cycling on the pavements. I have nearly been hit twice by bikes. Obviously I do not want to call 999 but do police stations have an email address or someone I can contact.
    Yes, your area force will have contact details. Google it.

ReputationRep:
    Look to see if you have a neighbourhood officer or PCSO who might be able to help you - check your force's website :-)

I've been knocked over on the walking side of a split track before - not a fun experience!!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you can call 101 but you're being an utter arsewipe if you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guills on wheels)
    I think you can call 101 but you're being an utter arsewipe if you do.
    No - bike vs pedestrian RTC can be serious, it's also called the Law. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda14)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can confirm

Witnessed one right in front of me one, was not pretty.

He's not being an arsewipe at all :rolleyes:
    There are rules for a reason, to keep people safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Can confirm

Witnessed one right in front of me one, was not pretty.

He's not being an arsewipe at all :rolleyes:
    There are rules for a reason, to keep people safe.
    I'm pretty accident prone but I do wonder why that particular bit of the rules of the road never gets enforced. The only time it is appropriate is for a trained cycle responder en route to an emergency call.You've definitely got my backing, so don't be put off by it being something most people ignore. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty accident prone but I do wonder why that particular bit of the rules of the road never gets enforced. The only time it is appropriate is for a trained cycle responder en route to an emergency call.You've definitely got my backing, so don't be put off by it being something most people ignore. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's just not enforced because you don't really see many police cyclists going around enforcing the rules. Most police are on the roads or on foot. I've never actually seen a police cyclist.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just not enforced because you don't really see many police cyclists going around enforcing the rules. Most police are on the roads or on foot. I've never actually seen a police cyclist.
    I just don't see police much on patrol I guess. Always good when needed in an emergency!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    just still a bit ****ed off from when my headteacher told me that I should be riding up a narrow road with cars doing 30 limit instead of the ****ing pavement when I was 10/11 years old.

I can understand your irritation but people may have reasons. What's the problem with just telling them to ride on the ****ing road?

ReputationRep:
    just still a bit ****ed off from when my headteacher told me that I should be riding up a narrow road with cars doing 30 limit instead of the ****ing pavement when I was 10/11 years old.

I can understand your irritation but people may have reasons. What's the problem with just telling them to ride on the ****ing road?
    Haha, yeah, I just have a problem with people who ride on the path when it's an empty road and no traffic or when the path is packed with pedestrians. The same way I have a bit of a moan when special cyclepaths are put in on corners where cyclists have actually died and people still use the road!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha, yeah, I just have a problem with people who ride on the path when it's an empty road and no traffic or when the path is packed with pedestrians. The same way I have a bit of a moan when special cyclepaths are put in on corners where cyclists have actually died and people still use the road!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're referring to Bow Roundabout then...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    my god are you actually?

are you ****ing thick?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it imo

ReputationRep:
    my god are you actually?

are you ****ing thick?
    Whoah.
    Why you so worked up over that comment? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Whoah.
    Why you so worked up over that comment? :rolleyes:
    Do you know about Bow Roundabout? How the cycle superhighway drawn there takes you across the path of traffic and three people on bikes were killed in I think as many months by lorries going over that superhighway?

and he's upset that people use the road instead; it's actually safer than the blue paint.

ReputationRep:
    So... what you are saying is... I am invulnerable to the law whilst on my push bike? Schweeet!

The ultimate get away vehicles.

*Goes on peddle powered crime spree*

ReputationRep:
    Do you know about Bow Roundabout? How the cycle superhighway drawn there takes you across the path of traffic and three people on bikes were killed in I think as many months by lorries going over that superhighway?

and he's upset that people use the road instead; it's actually safer than the blue paint.
    Ok, so you're right but I don't live in some massive city where we have "superhighways" and all sorts, but there are cycle PATHS off the of the road round here (they run a metre or so to the side of the road like a pavement for bikes) because there have been deaths on the corner, but people still cycle on the road - and complain when they nearly get hit. I'm not saying that they're all perfect - just that I don't understand why when it is clearly safer (and not exactly badly marked - it's bright red and there are massive signs) people still insist on coming face to face with a HGV or skip lorry - the same say *some people* like to walk the wrong side of pedestrian safety barriers there as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so you're right but I don't live in some massive city where we have "superhighways" and all sorts, but there are cycle PATHS off the of the road round here (they run a metre or so to the side of the road like a pavement for bikes) because there have been deaths on the corner, but people still cycle on the road - and complain when they nearly get hit. I'm not saying that they're all perfect - just that I don't understand why when it is clearly safer (and not exactly badly marked - it's bright red and there are massive signs) people still insist on coming face to face with a HGV or skip lorry - the same say *some people* like to walk the wrong side of pedestrian safety barriers there as well.
    well.. it's just london.

you repped my comment so I thought that was what you were referring to. I see what you mean though.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.