ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    What do you think happens?
    ur a great help m8 looool.

srsly what do u think happens

ReputationRep:
    What do you think happens?
    Top Left - Primary alcohol oxidised to an aldehyde then to a carboxylic acid. Just struggling to put it into context.
    Is this even remotely correct? Would the answer be the last part

ReputationRep:
    You're right... butan-1-ol is oxidised to butanal then to butanoic acid.

If you distil it as you react it, you can separate the butanal. If you reflux it, you will convert it to the acid. Do you understand what goes on in distil and reflux?

OCR A like you to show the oxidation to the acid in one step, i.e. CH3CH2CH2CH2OH + 2[O] -> CH3CH2CH2COOH + H2O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordBanter)
    Top Left - Primary alcohol oxidised to an aldehyde then to a carboxylic acid. Just struggling to put it into context.
    Is this even remotely correct? Would the answer be the last part
    Under reflux it oxidises twice to a carboxylic acid, with distillation it just oxidises to an aldehyde.
    When you react the alcohol with a carboxylic acid it forms an ester by nucleophilic addition elimination.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're right... butan-1-ol is oxidised to butanal then to butanoic acid.If you distil it as you react it, you can separate the butanal. If you reflux it, you will convert it to the acid. Do you understand what goes on in distil and reflux?OCR A like you to show the oxidation to the acid in one step, i.e. CH3CH2CH2CH2OH + 2[O] -> CH3CH2CH2COOH + H2O
    Okay I understand that reflux it will convert it to acid and distilling it will separate it. So the bottom left is CH3CH2CHCH2, is that the first equation i posted? the H2O is removed?

ReputationRep:
    Top left is CH3CH2COOH, top right is but-1ene,

bottom left is CH3CH2CH2COH , bottom right butyl ethanoate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasonpt)
    Top left is CH3CH2COOH, top right is but-1ene,

bottom left is CH3CH2CH2COH , bottom right butyl ethanoate
    why is the bottom left CH3CH2CH2CHO? http://i.picresize.com/EDEC is that why?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. When you distill it, it prevents the complete oxidation to the carboxylic acid.

ReputationRep:
    It is oxidised to an aldehyde because it is distilled rather than refluxed. Reflux is used to make c.acids because the primary alcohol can be fully oxidised.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 13, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.