The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 20th May 2015 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PjsAndCoffee
When I first scanned through the paper I was like "YES this is a good paper!"... Then I attempted it and struggled.
I hated that cylinder question..

The cylinder question was the best question I think after binomial of course:biggrin:
Original post by joshjones453
And another point, getting A* at Maths GCSE is irrelevant, at this stage. At GCSE, there is no application of knowledge, you can honestly learn the whole syllabus the night before for every exam and come out with 5/6 A*s. So please do not bring GCSE into this. I think your son has failed to recognise the transition from GCSE to ALevel.

He clearly knew the transition, she clearly said it was a resit. I dont think it takes a resit to recognise the transition? In fact simply doing past papers does, but in this case past papers from previous years wouldn't help much according to this year's maths exams sadly
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by particlestudent
The cylinder question was the best question I think after binomial of course:biggrin:

urgghhhhh hate cylinders
I also hated that geometric series q.
Original post by Yousf
People said doing past papers from previous years set and spotting your mistakes, correcting these, was the best method of revision for maths. :frown:
Not the case anymore...

I did quite a few past papers (didn't have time for all of them) and they definitely helped me.
Im not sure but...
ur aiming for at least 80% overall then
Out of 225 (75 x3) you need at least 180 marks (0.8x225)
you already have 129 (according to your post)
180-129
so approx. 51/75.

what? UMS doesn't work like that
urgghhhhh hate cylinders
I also hated that geometric series q.

Yes that one was bad, finding a and r was too much for me, and that horrible trigonometry question. I
It wanted cos x in terms of k, so I was thinking how the hell do i get rid of cos squared x or can it go with k, so I just gave up
Original post by Yousf
He clearly knew the transition, She clearly said it was a resit. I dont think it takes a resit to recognise the transition? In fact simply doing past papers does, but in this case past papers from previous years wouldn't help much according to this year's maths exams sadly

Well that's exactly my point. If it's a resit - he hasn't done well the first time round, so hasn't learn the transition initially. Now he had to do it again today, and obviously hasn't learn from his initial mistakes in terms of revision and has started crying the 2nd time round. I'm afraid I have no sympathy, I understand people can have bad days, but resitting and still doing bad just shows poor revision technique - it's simple. You will only get the results if you put in the extreme hard work
Completely agree!!! Today's paper was nothing like any previous papers. Was ridiculous
i got the B-A=48 question wrong lol
Yes that one was bad, finding a and r was too much for me, and that horrible trigonometry question. I
It wanted cos x in terms of k, so I was thinking how the hell do i get rid of cos squared x or can it go with k, so I just gave up

I gave up too. These two exams have put me off S1
Original post by thenightslayer

probz the only one I got right :banghead:
so annoyed geometric proof didn't come up.

EXTRA ANNOYED THAT TRAPEZIUM RULE DIDN'T COME UP.
For question 8)i-, would I lose marks for saying that tan(theta)=√3 and solving for both positive and negative values for √3 ?
Original post by thenightslayer

Same. That and the damn trig costs me all the marks I lost.

Why did all the parts in the damn trig question have to be linked? Usually they are separated so you aren't screwed if you mess up one part.

Quadratic formula baby.

cos^2 x + 4cos x - k = 0 (i think off the top of my head)

Therefore a=4 b=4 c=-k

Factorise to get two solutions which are cos x = (1+/- sqrt [ 1+16k])/8
predictions for grade boundaries...to get a C?
Anyone saying the paper was nothing like past papers must've done like 1 past paper, if that lol.
What do you think the grade boundaries are? I think it'll be around 55 or less for an A. I really hope C1 is also low because that was shocking, but C2 was just plain difficult. Hopefully S1 is better, so I can get 100 UMS in that exam to bump up the grade.
Original post by EastGuava
Anyone saying the paper was nothing like past papers must've done like 1 past paper, if that lol.

It wasn't dude...
Original post by yashkp25
What do you think the grade boundaries are? I think it'll be around 55 or less for an A. I really hope C1 is also low because that was shocking, but C2 was just plain difficult. Hopefully S1 is better, so I can get 100 UMS in that exam to bump up the grade.

Very wishful thinking for C2, absolute minimum will be 60/61 for an A (wouldn't be surprised if it was higher), will not drop below that I can reassure you. The paper is designed to be accessible to all candidates, with the last few questions being the difference between a candidate getting a C, B or an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending