Turn on thread page Beta

The Away Goals Rule watch

• View Poll Results: Is the away goals rule a fair way of deciding cup ties?
    Yes
    21.43%
    Yes, but a minimum amount of goals scored should be set
    0%
    No, the rule should be abolished
    78.57%

ReputationRep:
    This has come into play so often in the last few years in many cup competitions, but what opinion do you guys have about the rule's relevance in the game? Is it a fair way of deciding cup ties, or should they be left to the final aggregate score and taken to extra time & penalties if the score is level?

ReputationRep:
    They should count up to 90 minutes and then be wiped out for extra-time. More often than not the advantage of getting effectively a two goal lead in extra-time far outweighs the home advantage that a team get's. Is it the League Cup that has this rule for the Semi-Finals, or is it just straight aggregate stuff for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    They should count up to 90 minutes and then be wiped out for extra-time. More often than not the advantage of getting effectively a two goal lead in extra-time far outweighs the home advantage that a team get's. Is it the League Cup that has this rule for the Semi-Finals, or is it just straight aggregate stuff for that?
    In the League cup, there is the away goal rule for the Semi-finals but counts up to 120 minutes rather than the usual CL away goal rule of 90 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    In the League cup, there is the away goal rule for the Semi-finals but counts up to 120 minutes rather than the usual CL awya goal rule of 90 minutes.
    I was confused about the League Cup because we scored an away goal to Liverpool and it still went to extra-time, so yeah must be 120 mins. CL is definitely 120 minutes as that's how we went out to PSG this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    I was confused about the League Cup because we scored an away goal to Liverpool and it still went to extra-time, so yeah must be 120 mins. CL is definitely 120 minutes as that's how we went out to PSG this year.
    Yh but in the CL it can end in 90 minutes if the scoreline is tied but one team has more away goals the the other. Where as in the League cup it will still go into extra time (like in the Liverpool vs Chelsea game) but won't go into penalties if the condition I just stated happens.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay yeah that sounds familiar. Think the League Cup situation is perhaps slightly fairer - although I always enjoy a penalty shoot-out when it's not my team involved. I kinda hate it tbh when a team scores a late winner in extra time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the rule is fine. The people that call for it to be scrapped are those that fall foul of it. Though with that being said, it's nice that the playoffs don't have it.

ReputationRep:
    The fair thing would be to have a tie-breaker match in a place where both teams are considered 'away'. Unfortunately, this might not be feasible.

ReputationRep:
    Should be scrapped. One goal is worth one goal, it should carry no extra value because of the stadium it was scored in.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd scrap it altogether, but I am CERTAINLY in favour of scrapping the nonsensical extra-time ruling. It's archaic and ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Should be scrapped. One goal is worth one goal, it should carry no extra value because of the stadium it was scored in.
    This, you already have a reverse fixture so it's not as if one team gets the advantage. Also at times I think home advantage can be a bit over exaggerated, there are teams with better away form than home form. though admittedly home form is generally a bit better.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.