Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my AS level year, and I've just done my chemistry empa and I have 100% got a U. How many grades can this put my overall grade down by? It's only worth 20% so if I get As in my other 2 what will I get?

ReputationRep:
    It will reduce whatever you got overall by 20%. If you got 80% overall, then you will get 60% which is a C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    It will reduce whatever you got overall by 20%. If you got 80% overall, then you will get 60% which is a C.
    How does that work? because there is 9 marks between a U and an A in the empa which is barely any percentage. 32 out of 50 in a chemistry empa is a U so how would that drop my grade by 20%?

ReputationRep:
    If the unit is worth 20% then it's worth 20%. Your total grade will get pulled down by 20%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    If the unit is worth 20% then it's worth 20%. Your total grade will get pulled down by 20%.
    So say if I managed to get a D in the empa how much would that pull my grade down by?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethygirl)
    So say if I managed to get a D in the empa how much would that pull my grade down by?
    If a full marks is 100%, which is 20% of the empa. Then a D is about 50% of the total 100% right? Therefore, a D is probably around 10% of the 20%.

ReputationRep:
    People in my year have been saying that if you get a high A, you should still get an A if you get like a D or something in the EMPA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    I don't think that's how it works, if she doesn't get any marks then that's it, it just doesn't count towards the total, it doesn't pull her marks down any further

OP, your EMPA marks will be scaled to UMS, and assuming you get no marks (worst case scenario) that would mean you can then only get 80% max that year, so if you got 100% in all your other exams then you can only just scrape an A grade. If you get something like 50% in your EMPA, that will mean you've amassed 10% for your total UMS so to get an A (80%) you would need 88% average in the rest of your exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mallika)
    I don't think that's how it works, if she doesn't get any marks then that's it, it just doesn't count towards the total, it doesn't pull her marks down any further

OP, your EMPA marks will be scaled to UMS, and assuming you get no marks (worst case scenario) that would mean you can then only get 80% max that year, so if you got 100% in all your other exams then you can only just scrape an A grade. If you get something like 50% in your EMPA, that will mean you've amassed 10% for your total UMS so to get an A (80%) you would need 88% average in the rest of your exams
    That's what I said . The Empa doesn't "pull you down", it just means you will get less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    That's what I said . The Empa doesn't "pull you down", it just means you will get less.
    Ah okay, sorry I misunderstood

ReputationRep:
    so just to clear things up:
    If I get 2 not low but not super high As, what is the minimum grade I could get in my EMPA to keep it at an A/B?

ReputationRep:
    so just to clear things up:
    If I get 2 not low but not super high As, what is the minimum grade I could get in my EMPA to keep it at an A/B?
    Assuming the lowest A's you can get so 80% on both of your other exams:

So that's (0.8*0.8)=0.64 of your total UMS (64%)

You need 80% total for an A, 70% for a B.

You'd need an A in your EMPA to get an A overall
    To get a B overall you'd need 30% (surely that's below a U..)

Assuming 85% average:
    (0.85*0.80)=0.68 = 68%

To get a B you would need 2% more for your total UMS
    That means you need 10% in your EMPA

To get an A, you'd need 60 in your EMPA (a C)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mallika)
    Assuming the lowest A's you can get so 80% on both of your other exams:

So that's (0.8*0.8)=0.64 of your total UMS (64%)

You need 80% total for an A, 70% for a B.

You'd need an A in your EMPA to get an A overall
    To get a B overall you'd need 30% (surely that's below a U..)

Assuming 85% average:
    (0.85*0.80)=0.68 = 68%

To get a B you would need 2% more for your total UMS
    That means you need 10% in your EMPA

To get an A, you'd need 60 in your EMPA (a C)
    That's so helpful thank you!! what about for 90%?

ReputationRep:
    That's so helpful thank you!! what about for 90%?
    I'll teach you how to do it:

0.9*0.8=.72 =72% You will have aleady gotten an B.
    (average percentage of your other two exams, assuming they have the same weighting)*(how much those two exams are worth)=percentage you've achieved already
    To get an A, you need 80%. If we assume your total UMS is 300 (it doesn't matter whether it is or not since we're dealing with percentages)
    then you have
    300*.72= 216 UMS

An A is 240 UMS so you need 240-216= 24 UMS from your EMPA worth 20% (60 UMS)
    24/(300*.2)= 24/60=0.4

So 40%

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.