Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm starting Uni this. September studying BA accounting and finance at staffs uni.

As I lack igcse and a level qualifications to secure a graduate scheme, I am planning to study these while I am at uni.

So here it goes...

In the first year- sit igcse exams (6 Inc english and maths) exams in june.

Second year- sit 3 Cambridge AS level exams
    Third year- sit 3 Cambridge A2 exams.

The A levels can be taken in november or june.

So if all goes according to plan. I will have 6 igcse's, 3 A levels and a Degree.

How does this sound? I know it's going to be a lot of struggle for me and I need to study really really hard. Also it's difficult to get into grad schemes as they require 300+ Ucas points and grade Bs in english and maths at gcse.

Btw I'm 24 and visually impaired.
    thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    That's a hell of a lot of work to do. As a third year accounting student who's almost finished his degree, I couldn't do any of those courses on top of my degree, especially this year and second year. First year's workload wasn't as bad, but I couldn't have sat 6 GCSEs on top of my uni exams.

Really think hard about this, it will affect your degree performance if you can't stay on top of it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junaidm123)
    Hi

I'm starting Uni this. September studying BA accounting and finance at staffs uni.

As I lack igcse and a level qualifications to secure a graduate scheme, I am planning to study these while I am at uni.

So here it goes...

In the first year- sit igcse exams (6 Inc english and maths) exams in june.

Second year- sit 3 Cambridge AS level exams
    Third year- sit 3 Cambridge A2 exams.

The A levels can be taken in november or june.

So if all goes according to plan. I will have 6 igcse's, 3 A levels and a Degree.

How does this sound? I know it's going to be a lot of struggle for me and I need to study really really hard. Also it's difficult to get into grad schemes as they require 300+ Ucas points and grade Bs in english and maths at gcse.

Btw I'm 24 and visually impaired.
    thanks in advance.
    Hey, it's great you're being pro-active!

Few things, graduate schemes tend to look for a mixture of academic grades, work experiences, and extra-curricular activities.

1. There's a growing trend where UCAS points are becoming less important. 1 of the big 4 recently plan to remove UCAS points altogether from their screening process. Furthermore, you risk screwing your uni studies if you spread yourself too thin. University grades are just as important if not more than GCSE/A levels.
    2. As said above, academic grades aren't everything. You'll need good work experiences and extra-curricular activities to stand out. Based on the effort/reward, it's probably better if you focus on developing yourself as a person. Look for relevant work experiences (even if it's volunteering/unpaid), join a range of extra-curricular activities, and in 2nd/3rd year, aim to lead your favourite activity by joining the club committee.

ReputationRep:
    I'd focus on your undergraduate degree rather than jeopardise lower degree results which will undoubtedly happen if you try to take this all on.

Only 38% of graduate employers (those with formal graduate programmes) use A-levels as a screening tool for applications, and this number is dropping.

Given your visual impairment, I strongly recommend contacting Blind in Business when it comes to think about employment. They are a great organisation and used to run interview skills sessions for both employers who want to have a better understanding of how to accommodate reasonable adjustments, but also for candidates wanting to 1) meet employers, 2) get some interview practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kre)
    That's a hell of a lot of work to do. As a third year accounting student who's almost finished his degree, I couldn't do any of those courses on top of my degree, especially this year and second year. First year's workload wasn't as bad, but I couldn't have sat 6 GCSEs on top of my uni exams.

Really think hard about this, it will affect your degree performance if you can't stay on top of it all.
    Thanks Kre, like ur answer.
    I haven't started uni so I can't imagine what the workload will be like. Now I will take that into consideration.

At once I did thought of that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all. Really appreciated!!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by junaidm123)
    Thanks to all. Really appreciated!!!
    Hey there,

It's exciting to hear you're coming to Staffs! I've just seen this post, so thought I'd introduce myself as the Official Rep for the uni - if you've got any questions for me, please ask away.

I have to agree with the advice given on this thread. Taking on GCSEs and A-levels whilst studying for a degree is a lot of extra work. I would make sure you focus on your degree course to get the best out of it that you can. Uni is a real step up in terms of workload, especially by the time you get to third year.

The uni has a dedicated careers centre which can help give you advice with developing your career whilst you're at uni and for after you graduate. It's worth going and speaking to them about what your options are.

If there's anything else you'd like to know about the uni, let me know

Katie

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.