Turn on thread page Beta

Tories: your thoughts on the cabinet?•""" watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you like it? Anyone who should go or be promoted?

I think it seems like a reasonably balanced cabinet with the various factions represented. Would have liked to have seen Clarke back but suspect he's gearing up for a last hurrah in 2017.

I also think it's more evident than ever that it's mr Osborne who is running the show.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Do you like it? Anyone who should go or be promoted?

I think it seems like a reasonably balanced cabinet with the various factions represented. Would have liked to have seen Clarke back but suspect he's gearing up for a last hurrah in 2017.

I also think it's more evident than ever that it's mr Osborne who is running the show.

Thoughts?
    I wanted Mr Javid as chief sec. to the treasury, apart from that I couldn't care less. Business secretary is still a good position. Michael Gove as Justice Minister was a mistake due to his previous ill reputation and previous comments about hanging, however true they may be.

ReputationRep:
    Am happy with the lineup though I won't be surprised there will be a major reshuffle not too far away especially in view of BJ no longer being Mayor of London.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Pleased that Sajid has a more business orientated role. If I remember reading correctly, he identifies himself as a bit of a Thatcherite?

I'm also very happy that Osborne has been given First Secretary of State

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there will be a big reshuffle for Boris.

I think Whittingdale is there solely for the BBC and when that is sorted Boris will get the DCMS.

The one mistake is Gove. He picks fights and in the case of education he lost out to the teaching unions. I think it is odds on he will pick a fight with the judiciary and legal profession over the Human Rights Act repeal and that will get bogged down. He would have been better at BIS or the Scottish Office (Gove is a Scot and therefore would have been credible even though representing an English seat) where he could pick arguments with the unions or Nicola to his heart's content.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a tory supporter, but I think the decision to put Michael Gove as Justice Secretary is absolutely diabolical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I'm not a tory supporter, but I think the decision to put Michael Gove as Justice Secretary is absolutely diabolical.
    Well they're determined to scrap the HRA and as far as I can tell the only Tories with legal experience have said that this is a stupid idea so Gove is actually a pretty good choice! I think most of the fuss is overblown though and that in reality this will be a superficial change trying to appease the loonier tabloids.

ReputationRep:
    I like the fact that Gove is back in the cabinet but he's in the wrong role.

Some pandering to the back benches occurring but if it keeps the peace then it will have been a good decision.

ReputationRep:
    Teresa May's still an awful, awful person who absolutely shouldn't be in any office, let alone one as important as that. Michael Gove will continue to alienate everybody who has to work with him on a regular basis, so I suppose it's good that he's in a job that doesn't involve as much active collaboration with devolved governments as he should have been doing in education.

ReputationRep:
    Not a Tory, but would have liked to see Gove back on education. Leaving Nicky Morgan in place is just a total capitulation to the teaching unions.

Keeping IDS where he is was a sound move. Ditto Osbourne and at a push, Hammond.

Bunch of Cameroonian wets in the rest of the cabinet mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    Not a Tory, but would have liked to see Gove back on education. Leaving Nicky Morgan in place is just a total capitulation to the teaching unions.

Keeping IDS where he is was a sound move. Ditto Osbourne and at a push, Hammond.

Bunch of Cameroonian wets in the rest of the cabinet mind.
    Nicky Morgan is doing pretty much what Gove was doing but isnt quite so confrontational as Gove.

Cameroonianism, if it ever existed is dead. George is calling the shots-half the ministers are his lackeys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Nicky Morgan is doing pretty much what Gove was doing but isnt quite so confrontational as Gove.

Cameroonianism, if it ever existed is dead. George is calling the shots-half the ministers are his lackeys.
    Osbourne is a Cameroon. Who do you think pushed gay marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

Gay Marriage is hardly the cornerstone of Tory Policy- I dont think George was personally bothered.

Cameron and Osborne have a Blair-brown plan in place. Just a theory mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Cameron's "one-woman focus group" Sam Cam.

I note that the Conservative "equality minister" who was vocally against the redefinition of marriage in the last parliament has been a good little apparatchik today. The price you have to pay for promotions:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    It's not. It's more that he thoroughly alienated literally everybody who had to work with him regularly, up to and including all of the devolved education ministers (turns out, changing shared qualifications without telling the people you're sharing with and threatening to take them to court when they try to regulate how their own exam board operates their own country does not endear you to them).

ReputationRep:
    Have I stepped into a parallel reality? A thousand facepalms.

In just over a week we've seen:

A homophobe 2 advocates of hanging and an opponent of child benefits. Repealing the ban on fox hunting, scrapping the human rights act; extending state surveillance power in order to combat extremism; expanding the definition of extremism to include political activism and much more.

This government has been accused of human rights violations against the disabled by the UN. Our high court determined this to be false. This is like me replying to: "You're a *^&%" with:"No I dont believe I am". These judgements are inflicted by external forces because a state cannot be trusted to act as its own oversight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phaedron)
    Have I stepped into a parallel reality? A thousand facepalms.

In just over a week we've seen:

A homophobe 2 advocates of hanging and an opponent of child benefits. Repealing the ban on fox hunting, scrapping the human rights act; extending state surveillance power in order to combat extremism; expanding the definition of extremism to include political activism and much more.

This government has been accused of human rights violations against the disabled by the UN. Our high court determined this to be false. This is like me replying to: "You're a *^&%" with:"No I dont believe I am". These judgements are inflicted by external forces because a state cannot be trusted to act as its own oversight
    Well a free vote on repealing the ban.
    HRA will be scrapped but you missed the part of it being replaced with a British bill of rights.
    The debate on security vs privacy is a good one.
    The bill is pretty authoritarian not gonna lie but activists that threaten democracy and use free speech to end free speech should be addressed somehow

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.