Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am two months into gym training. My strength gains increase every week or two so im moving up gradually. So should i take creatine now or wait another 6 months or so when my strength gains start to slow down?

ReputationRep:
    Creatine (along with nearly every supplement) is unnecessary. Someone on creatine and someone not on creatine are not going to have any visible difference in muscular gains, let's be real.
    The side-effects of these are not known in the long term and you don't want to be that person who finds out that the supplement they were taking has adverse effects in the future when more research has been done into it. Just: Lift right, Eat right, Sleep right.

Stop buying into the supplement industry trying to suck money from us. The only useful one is Whey Protein (if you can't get enough from your diet)

Only thing that really helps you gain muscle in the gym is Determination (Gym partner can help with that) and motivating music (Rap/ Dubstep etc).

ReputationRep:
    Buy it, at least try it for 2-3 months. One container of creatine mono is £10, and it will last you a year, its hardly breaking the bank.
    Your body produces creatine, you need it as it release energy by regenerating ATP.

Regarding sups, I only consume a sup if I have a deficit within that particular area.
    My sup rack [zinc, potassium, multi, calcium, iron, creatine mono].

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutr.../10530050.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    Creatine (along with nearly every supplement) is unnecessary. Someone on creatine and someone not on creatine are not going to have any visible difference in muscular gains, let's be real.
    The side-effects of these are not known in the long term and you don't want to be that person who finds out that the supplement they were taking has adverse effects in the future when more research has been done into it. Just: Lift right, Eat right, Sleep right.

Stop buying into the supplement industry trying to suck money from us. The only useful one is Whey Protein (if you can't get enough from your diet)

Only thing that really helps you gain muscle in the gym is Determination (Gym partner can help with that) and motivating music (Rap/ Dubstep etc).
    You are correct about the fact that creatine is unnecessary and that he will see good gains without it if he lives the right way, but don't say that creatine has not been researched enough and is therefore dangerous.

Creatine has been taken as a supplement for about 40 years and is now the most researched and tested bodybuilding supplement this side of whey protein. It has also been shown to produce consistent, positive effects on muscle growth given a good training regime and proper diet over those who do not take it.

I will use myself as an anecdote. I'm doing 250lbs max on the Leg Press machine a few months back, getting enough sleep and getting good macros. After a week on creatine I could push up 265-275lbs. Creatine, essentially, puts more water in your muscles so that they can hold more glycogen i.e. do more work. That's it.

ReputationRep:

33:45 onwards

ReputationRep:
    I've been on it for a while, not cycling, consistent strength gains, although 100% agree that diet, sleep and a training partner are all factors.

Personally I'd go for Hydrochloride vs Monohydrate, needs less to be soluble in water, thus more is absorbed and you don't need to take a **** ton of it for the same effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appeal to reason)

33:45 onwards
    THISSSS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDaave)
    100% agree that diet, sleep and a training partner are all factors.
    This...

Training isn't even the main factor it's quality of nutrition and rest.

Strength will significantly decrease if unrested.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need it, but try it if you want I guess. It's not the magic pill some people seem to think it is, but it's cheap and isn't going to do any harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    You don't need it, but try it if you want I guess. It's not the magic pill some people seem to think it is, but it's cheap and isn't going to do any harm.
    its just the cherry on top of the cake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)

You will find that the only supplement scientifically proven to increase performance is creatine, you will also find that every sprinter in the world and pretty much every athlete which competes in anaerobic sport uses creatine.

ReputationRep:
    I've never taken any supplements. You can get all the nutrition your body needs through your diet, if you eat properly.

IMO, no you don't need it. But that doesn't mean YOU shouldn't take it. Try it out, buy some off MyProtein.com (they actually have a sale on both their popular creatine products today) and experiment with I for a month or so. You'll know if it works for you after that time.

I make my own pre-workout at home, using milk, coffee, oats and peanut butter. Coupled with my EDM, it's all I need to get me pumped for a workout.

ReputationRep:
    So, I'd advise listening to that (along with the other) episodes of Barbell shrugged, Andy Galpin speaks so much truth in that. Creatine is in your food too, so asking should you cycle it is asking the same as "should I cycle carbs".

So far as I'm aware the clinical dosage of creatine is ~5g per day. That equates to eating 500g of raw fish or red meat per day, raw because as soon as you start to cook meats the ability for your body to absorb creatine within it diminshes; if people are saying they get that naturally then fair enough to them, but I sure as hell don't...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDaave)
    So, I'd advise listening to that (along with the other) episodes of Barbell shrugged, Andy Galpin speaks so much truth in that. Creatine is in your food too, so asking should you cycle it is asking the same as "should I cycle carbs".

So far as I'm aware the clinical dosage of creatine is ~5g per day. That equates to eating 500g of raw fish or red meat per day, raw because as soon as you start to cook meats the ability for your body to absorb creatine within it diminshes; if people are saying they get that naturally then fair enough to them, but I sure as hell don't...
    Nice..

Now you can lol @ guys who are like the below pic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drewBusby)
    Nice..

Now you can lol @ guys who are like the below pic

LOL. I got told because I took BCAA's during and a preworkout that I wasn't natty.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.