Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

About 3 weeks back my laptop crashed, the hard drive failed and I lost everything. took it to a shop and they had a look and told me they could perform data recovery and replace the hard drive for £200... i had no choice so went ahead with it. they phoned a week later and said they couldnt recover the data and would have to clone the hard drive... 'this is where things start to get exspensive' he said.

£550 for hard drive replacement and recovered files. it took two weeks in total... As a student I obviously coudnt afford it and my dad paid for it instead of paying his mortgage for that month. I've explained all to my tutor but he said computer crashes don't count for an extension... I was without my laptop for two weeks and pretty much couldnt do anything. now I'm going to fail because I can't get a small extension... my dad paid £550 for me to fail lol.

Is there anything i can do? I phoned the uni help line and they said speak to your tutor first, if that fails speak to the union... this isn't fair. I'm a top student, if i can get an extension it will be a solid A, the module is 50% of my grade...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonelink)
    Hi,

About 3 weeks back my laptop crashed, the hard drive failed and I lost everything. took it to a shop and they had a look and told me they could perform data recovery and replace the hard drive for £200... i had no choice so went ahead with it. they phoned a week later and said they couldnt recover the data and would have to clone the hard drive... 'this is where things start to get exspensive' he said.

£550 for hard drive replacement and recovered files. it took two weeks in total... As a student I obviously coudnt afford it and my dad paid for it instead of paying his mortgage for that month. I've explained all to my tutor but he said computer crashes don't count for an extension... I was without my laptop for two weeks and pretty much couldnt do anything. now I'm going to fail because I can't get a small extension... my dad paid £550 for me to fail lol.

Is there anything i can do? I phoned the uni help line and they said speak to your tutor first, if that fails speak to the union... this isn't fair. I'm a top student, if i can get an extension it will be a solid A, the module is 50% of my grade...
    im afraid other than talking to your tutor and union I can't see that you can do anything else. I'm also afraid you don't have a strong case- computer problems generally aren't accepted - you could have backed the work up on a usb stick or the cloud and or gone to the library and done the work in those 2 weeks instead of doing nothing

ReputationRep:
    you should have backed up your work and used the universities computers so you really don't have a case

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.