Turn on thread page Beta

Not sure this is in the right forum, but I wanted to be anon and it doesn't relate entirely to exams.

Basically, I've been trying to get to uni since forever but have suffered lifelong from chronic fatigue, severe anemia, hormonal problems etc. just to touch the surface. I thought I was finally getting somewhere recently - managed to get an A* in English Lit and high As in my Philosophy AS and actually got offers from every uni I applied to (Bristol, UCL and Warwick were the ones I was really interested in). Anyway, around a month ago disaster strikes - I've had a massive relapse, can't study for more than a few hours a day, sleep pattern all messed up - sleeping 12 hours + a day, but at the wrong times. I contacted all the unis I applied to and shockingly UCL offered to lower my offer to just 1 A-level (since I already have one); I'm delighted obviously, but also seriously worried about whether I'll even be able to do the 2 exams I've got coming up.

It's the last year of the syllabus (only re-take opportunity is next year). I'm stuck as to what to do. I think I'd probably manage one of the exams, but not sure I can do two at this stage. I've heard of situations where the exam board can give you a grade if you do 1/2 of the exams required - but then with it being the last year of the syllabus, am I right in thinking I'd need to at least right my name on the paper if I need to re-take (if the request to give me a grade on the basis of my AS, predicted grade and the A2 component got rejected).

My other option is to try and sit both, but I'm not confident I'd be able to get many marks in the second one (worth 20%) because for one thing I can barely revise due to illness - even typing this is exhausting and obviously I don't want to end up with a D grade or something because even if I recover and re-take next year, that wouldn't look great on a UCAS application and I probably wouldn't get into UCL/Bristol with that on my form.

I feel so depressed about the situation It's honestly always been my dream to get to UCL and it could be within my grasp if I hadn't fallen so ill, but the amount of revision I'm capable of doing is probably going to be barely enough to scrape a C. I keep bursting into tears thinking about it and just feel like ending it all at times I'm so low

Do I have any options?

ReputationRep:
    You can defer your application to the unis by a year - you can retake next year if you need to. The unis will look at your final a-level grades and if you have any worries about admission you could phone them and explain

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to mention - you don't put grades of things you are going to resit on the UCAS form so they won't see those grades anyway - just the finals!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about getting a bad mark, first and foremost do your best to try and sit the exam just in case.

I had a similar issue to you (not as severe) last year and got really abnormal grades on some modules as a consequence...(a D and an E when id never got less than an A before) and after explaining the situation to unis I was considering several allowed me to apply without and disadvantage and subsequently gave me offers. (This is for medicine).

My advice would be to contact the exam board to clarify how much you need to sit/what your options are, contact your school so they are aware of the situation and contact unis to explain everything (seems like you've done this one).

Good luck, and retaking after ill health (or even without) doesn't usually mean unis will disregard your application, many will view it exactly the same as others! Good luck, try to focus and do the best you can: you have so many options, you'll be ok. I was so worried that one bout of ill health could 'define' my future (a little dramatic) but unis are generally very accommodating of such circumstances pm me if you have any further questions

Thanks for responses

(Original post by Dr. Django)
    I wouldn't worry about getting a bad mark, first and foremost do your best to try and sit the exam just in case.

I had a similar issue to you (not as severe) last year and got really abnormal grades on some modules as a consequence...(a D and an E when id never got less than an A before) and after explaining the situation to unis I was considering several allowed me to apply without and disadvantage and subsequently gave me offers. (This is for medicine).

My advice would be to contact the exam board to clarify how much you need to sit/what your options are, contact your school so they are aware of the situation and contact unis to explain everything (seems like you've done this one).

Good luck, and retaking after ill health (or even without) doesn't usually mean unis will disregard your application, many will view it exactly the same as others! Good luck, try to focus and do the best you can: you have so many options, you'll be ok. I was so worried that one bout of ill health could 'define' my future (a little dramatic) but unis are generally very accommodating of such circumstances pm me if you have any further questions
    Hey, thank you for your response - just to clarify, are you saying I should sit both exams or just the first? I have had enough time to probably be able to sit the first, but have managed very little towards the second so am 99% sure I'd get a low grade in it and/or only be able to partially do it. I'm an external candidate anyway - I have informed the examination officer of the circumstances, though she hasn't got back to me yet.

It says on the AQA website that a grade for the missing module can be calculated based on other things - the missing module for me would only be worth 20% of the overall A-level, but obviously I would still require an A to get to UCL, soo I think I am best ringing them to clarify.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.