Turn on thread page Beta
  • View Poll Results: How do you take care of meals while at uni?
    I cook myself
    78.57%
    I cook in turns with roommates
    7.14%
    I have a meal plan at a uni hall
    7.14%
    Other
    7.14%

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm a U.S. graduate, considering UoE for Computer Science msc next year. Uhm, it might sound trivial, but up until now, dinner and food in general was taken care by the college, while we had all the time to deal with classes etc.

As far as I can tell, there is no similar thing for postgraduates at UoE. Could you fellow mates please tell me how you manage to cook/have mean plan while studying for your degree?

Is there an option to be able to eat at the halls, but staying at a house in the city?... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnt5)
    Hi!
    I'm a U.S. graduate, considering UoE for Computer Science msc next year. Uhm, it might sound trivial, but up until now, dinner and food in general was taken care by the college, while we had all the time to deal with classes etc.

As far as I can tell, there is no similar thing for postgraduates at UoE. Could you fellow mates please tell me how you manage to cook/have mean plan while studying for your degree?

Is there an option to be able to eat at the halls, but staying at a house in the city?... :rolleyes:

Thanks!
    Well, um, I have a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I either make a packed lunch to take with me to the university of buy lunch while I'm here. I go home at dinner time and make dinner. If I'm working from home, I make my meals there.

I stayed in catered accommodation when I did my masters, and while the availability of plenty of hangover food at breakfast time was appreciated if ... well, hungover, the necessity to get back to eat at dinner time (and the lack of lunch) was frustrating, to say the least.

I think you need to accept that if you're considering moving to a new country for your studies, some things may be different!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Thanks!
    I don't think so, I started having to cook my meals in 2nd year of uni so I think you can manage.

Theres so many ready made meals if you are lazy and believe me I am. You don't need to make a fancy meal everytime, it just needs to be edible and when you are hungry enough you'll learn how to feed yourself. Its a basic human trait.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! I was thinking of ready-made meals too, seems like a good option.

ReputationRep:
    Hi John,

Pasta only takes 10 minutes to cook and you can microwave some sauce; prepared Pizza takes 10 too and you can get microwave-packs of mixed veg. Cereal/toast for breakfast= easy and lunch can be a sandwich bought on campus or a tin of soup.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Thanks!
    Seriously you are going to be a postgraduate now, you can cook your own meals.
    It is so easy to cook basic recipes and if you cannot manage that then there are ready meals and loads of places to eat. Learn to cook some spaghetti... It is literally pasta, mince and a sauce out of a jar. Make a big batch and you can freeze it so you have meals for a full week.

ReputationRep:
    Been studying in Norway for two years, and here it's not an option to live in catered accommodation, and food is so expensive most students won't be able to eat out more than maybe once or twice a month, so to me it's obvious to have to cook every day. I honestly wouldn't enjoy if all meals where prepared for me anyway. I want to be in control of what I eat and when I eat it, and I quite enjoy cooking, so I will probably keep doing this living in Edinburgh.

It's cheaper as well, and I do believe that everyone should learn how to cook in uni. It's quite an important part of real life and you're just going to make it more difficult for yourself after uni, if you never even learned to cook things like pasta while you were in uni.

ReputationRep:
    Going to be impossible now thanks to the @%#& sugar tax

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.