Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The LAST DAY OF AUTUMN

This dream that I had in my sleep one night was special. It must have been magical. In it, I saw myself in my room. It was late afternoon on an autumn day. As I was standing in front of my window, it was getting dark outside, and a quiet evening was preparing to descend. It was raining slightly, and I could hear a quiet, monotonous sound of rain drops. And then... suddenly, I saw a purple light outside for a second, which seemed to have come from nowhere and then disappeared. And... the next thing I saw was golden - something like an object, a star or a comet - flying from the sky, very fast, very bright ; in a couple of moments it raced past my window and, again, disappeared without a trace, as if it just flew away, which could leave you wondering where it came from. Suddenly, I had this feeling that I was not alone in my room any more. And then... there was this lady standing next to me - so young, aged about 17 or 18 and with long, gold coloured hair. I did not know what to think and, to be honest, I did not think anyway - I was just so surprised and... so amazed. She did not say anything, but she took my hand with her own and held it for a while, looking at me, looking into my eyes. I cannot even say what her eyes were like - I only saw that they were amazing. Amazing, yes, and there is nothing else to say. And she was so pretty, so beautiful, but her face was serious, and she made no further movement, she was just standing there next to me, in the quiet of the autumn evening. And then... she just disappeared - in the same unexplained way as the golden object outside my window and the purple light - disappeared as though she was never there, in my room. She was gone like a distant dream, but, as we know, I was dreaming indeed. And I was left standing where I stood, still feeling the soft touch of her hand with my own. So, this was when I woke up, but my mind was still under the impression of that dream for a few days.

A couple of weeks had passed since my strange dream when I saw something unusual in the post while checking my mail on my way out for a walk. It was a strange looking envelope of a retro style colour that was something like pale yellow, and there was a drawing of a large tree on the envelope. It had an old fashioned, heavy seal on it, which seemed to be dark red. After a few moments of hesitation, I broke the seal and opened the envelope. There was an old looking sheet of paper inside, and, again, yellowish. Some unusual shapes were drawn on it, a number of them also looking like trees or, maybe, like some unknown animals. In the centre, a message was written with old style, sophisticated letters, and it said that I was invited to attend a dinner at the palace as a guest, on the last day of autumn. The letter also said that I could find the palace in the Old Garden. I knew the Old Garden, and I had been there before, long time ago, but I knew nothing about a palace being there, and I had never seen it. That was the end of the message, as the mysterious letter did not contain any other details or an explanation of why I was, actually, invited.

It did not take long for the last day of that autumn to arrive, and I must admit that I was curious since receiving the letter, which was on my mind quite often. So, on the 30 th of November, I accepted the invitation by making my way to the Old Garden. At first, I was moving through the familiar landscape, but things were about to change. Suddenly, I saw a shape of a palace in the distance. As I was moving closer to it, more of its features revealed themselves to me, and soon I saw that it was beautiful and colourful, with an amazing architecture. The shapes of ancient statues made of marble or stone were on its front, with some other figures or shapes between the floors or window levels of the palace. The building was painted with a whole variety of colours - they were mainly creamy, and, so, in a way, it resembled a large cake. But the palace was not the only thing to surprise me. On my way, the bushes and other plants of the garden also changed. Now I was seeing tall, bright green bushes that were neatly and accurately cut into different shapes and patterns - sometimes into shapes of people and animals. The varieties of flowers also increased, and I saw large, exotic flowers that never seemed to exist in the Old Garden. How could I not have known that such things were there ? Like I said, I visited the garden in the past. But could all this be somehow hidden from me ?

I was getting closer and closer to the palace, and I was now, it seemed, in an alleyway of some sort, with more exotic bushes and... mermaids. Beautiful, gold coloured fishtails. They seemed to smile, looking aside rather than directly at me. What was equally amazing was that I could not tell whether they were real mermaids or statues. Finally, I was there - by the large, purple coloured gates. I was excited ! I did not have to wait long, as the gates slowly began to open outward by themselves. And, so, I went inside. Then... at once, I was in a large hall, which was lit with a bright light. It had a very high ceiling with big chandeliers hanging from the top. I immediately heard a big number of voices, they seemed to be talking continuously, all at once. At first sight, I thought I saw a lot of people sitting behind a big, wooden, square table. Only they were not people - they were all gnomes. Every one of them wore bright clothes of their own, different colour. Blue, red, green, yellow, orange, purple, light blue and dark blue, etc, etc. They also wore hats, the gnome style hats, and just like their clothes, no two hats seemed to be of the same colour. And they had these beards, some beards also being gray. Suddenly, they all looked at me, and the lively conversation stopped at once. I came closer to this table they were sitting at, so that they could see me clearly, and I said that I was invited to a dinner here, at the palace. But they did not say anything to me, they just kept looking at me in silence. And then they resumed talking like before, eating and drinking, laughing and exclaiming at times, not paying any further attention to me. I did not know what else I could do, except join them at the table, which I did after finding a space for myself with one empty chair that was also made of wood. There were several small candles somewhere at the centre of the table, which were lit. They were made of wax of red and golden colours. I saw a lot of plates on the table, very beautiful ones, and they were decorated with unique, sophisticated patterns and drawings, mainly with the blue colour. The forks and the knives were all silver coloured, and I also saw a number of teapots, which were nicely decorated too. And there was so much food ! I soon started eating and really enjoyed the dinner ; I liked everything that I ate. There were these exotic vegetables, fruits and berries, some of which I never even tasted before. And many, many other dishes, including freshly made juicy salads and nicely cooked baked potatoes, which were still hot. I saw quite a number of varieties of bread too, white and brown, some with seeds or nuts in it, but each type of bread I ate seemed to melt in the mouth. Those delicious loafs looked like they were straight out of the oven too. There were also jars with cocktails - the gnomes drank them from elegantly crafted glasses that had these flower - like shapes. I tried the cocktails too, and they were fascinating - so refreshing ! One particular cocktail that I was drinking tasted like mint.

And I was sitting there at this table, dining and observing this large hall and the gnomes who seemed so occupied with talking to each other, thinking about this curious, mysterious palace I was at and about my walk there through the garden. It was like I even lost a sense of time for a while, having found myself in this unusual environment. Then suddenly I saw someone else at the dinner table - sitting opposite me - who was not among the gnomes and whom I definitely did not see earlier on. It was a lady - with long golden hair. I saw her raising her head, and she looked straight at me, her eyes having fixed on mine, and then... for a moment, her eyes shined and flashed with this bright golden light - and then it faded at once, having sent a mysterious signal. The next thing I knew, she was not at the table any longer, having vanished as unexpectedly as she appeared. But some instinct told me she had not gone far ; I had an urgent feeling that I had to go after her - I could not afford to lose her this time. I jumped up from my seat and ran back where I came from, to the large entrance gates. As before, they opened slowly, and I rushed outside... Now everything was quiet. I looked in all directions, looked everywhere, but there was no trace of the young lady. Maybe she was not real ? This was what I thought to myself. Maybe, just like the first time I saw her, I was just dreaming in my sleep ? Maybe all of this was a dream ? I was thinking of going back inside when suddenly I saw a mermaid by the gates - like one of those I observed in the alleyway. And... before my eyes the mermaid changed into the young lady. For a moment or two, she just stood there, looking at me. Her eyes were not shining any more, they were real now, and she had these beautiful blue eyes - so beautiful and so charming. And she smiled at me - it was nice and amazing. She still looked at me and just smiled... before turning into a white, marble-like statue, which disappeared seconds later.

And I have not seen her since. Not in my dreams, not when I was awake. But I will never forget her - nor will I ever forget that autumn and the dinner at the palace on its last day.

By / Author: me (Vlad83).
    The Text: originally composed in April 2013 / modified, edited and corrected on 7 September 2014.
    The Title: composed and added on 7 September 2014.

"It's all a dream
    (It's all a dream)
    I'm asleep i think
    In this bed dreaming
    please don't wake me
    cause this dream's too good"

(From the lyrics of the song "This Dream Is Too Good", performed by Justin Bieber. The Source: http://www.metrolyrics.com.).

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Luv this!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Please write moreeeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmEllie)
    Wow. Luv this!!!!
    AHH!
    Thank You so much!
    I am so pleased to hear! You are really nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vlad83)
    AHH!
    Thank You so much!
    I am so pleased to hear! You are really nice!
    and thanks for the follow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmEllie)
    and thanks for the follow!
    You are most welcome!

ReputationRep:
    You are a brilliant writer....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fadim)
    You are a brilliant writer....
    WOW !
    Thank You so much for this. I am really delighted to hear such a compliment !
    You are superb.

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for different types of short texts and stories to be able to improve my writing for IGCSE English exam.Your stories were really good source for me.I wish I could write like you but I know it is impossible because it is my second language, anyway... Thank you for your lovely stories.Please write more.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fadim)
    I am looking for different types of short texts and stories to be able to improve my writing for IGCSE English exam.Your stories were really good source for me.I wish I could write like you but I know it is impossible because it is my second language, anyway... Thank you for your lovely stories.Please write more.....
    You are most welcome ! And thank you for telling me about yourself. That is all very interesting, nice.
    Thanks again for your nice comments and for liking my writing, I am very pleased that you enjoyed my creations so much!
    And I am glad that I could be of use to you and that my short stories served a useful purpose and helped you as an educational aid and material so to speak. That is great .. and fulfilling - I must say!
    I wish you much luck with achieving your goals and in your exams etc but actually your English is already good and you can really write like me - and better (seriously) ! And no, it is not impossible, not at all, on the contrary it is very possible, and with practice, you could develop your own writing skills and your own style and could have success with creative writing and write your own stuff. Possible ! So it is worth believing in yourself and being optimistic.
    I might write more, who knows .. Thanks for your wishes and your interest !
    And wishing you all the best too !

ReputationRep:
    You are most welcome ! And thank you for telling me about yourself. That is all very interesting, nice.
    Thanks again for your nice comments and for liking my writing, I am very pleased that you enjoyed my creations so much!
    And I am glad that I could be of use to you and that my short stories served a useful purpose and helped you as an educational aid and material so to speak. That is great .. and fulfilling - I must say!
    I wish you much luck with achieving your goals and in your exams etc but actually your English is already good and you can really write like me - and better (seriously) ! And no, it is not impossible, not at all, on the contrary it is very possible, and with practice, you could develop your own writing skills and your own style and could have success with creative writing and write your own stuff. Possible ! So it is worth believing in yourself and being optimistic.
    I might write more, who knows .. Thanks for your wishes and your interest !
    And wishing you all the best too !
    Thank you so much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fadim)
    Thank you so much...
    You are very welcome !
    By the way, to what I have said I wanted to add that English is my second language too.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Really!!! Give me some advice to be able write like you.Pleaseeee........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fadim)
    Wow! Really!!! Give me some advice to be able write like you.Pleaseeee........
    Yes, really ! I am glad that you are impressed, thanks !
    And Thank You for seeking my advice on writing, this both compliments me personally and is really nice to hear and also shows your willingness and enthusiasm. I am really grateful.
    OK then, I can definitely mention some things by way of my own recommendation which I think will be relevant and applicable to any potential (or "practicing") writer.
    1. Quite importantly, never try to force yourself into writing (saying that just in case). Of course, motivation and willingness and practice are always good .. but I would advise to practice it naturally and at your own pace and not to push yourself or hurry up taking it too fast and not to feel that you "have" to write if - for example - inside you, you are not really feeling like writing at a given moment.
    2. On the other hand, practice and "training" does indeed help ! It will help you to develop your writing skills and polish your style (something I already touched on previously!) and will also make you more used to writing as a process, making you more familiar with it. And it might help to develop and strengthen one's personal patience and writing endurance - so to speak - too.
    3. Gradually, you may want to "seek out" and develop your own personal writing style - that could be fun! And it will bring out your individuality. However, please do not worry if it does not happen at once (it probably will not!) - it may well take some time and practicing (in other words, naturally or again - gradually) .. but eventually when you get there, it could be rewarding.
    I remember I once read somewhere that it is not uncommon for new writers, the beginners, to actually "copy" other authors, initially, whom they may have read - like maybe in terms of theme or writing style - or their works. But like I said, in time, your own style and "direction" will emerge. This is probably how it works. (But of course each person is different or slightly different).
    4. It should also be helpful to consider and think about what it actually is that you want to write about. Or possibly you already have an idea or a clear feeling about this ! But if not, that is fine too. It will come to you eventually. What genre? Which topic (s) ? What sort of character(s), if any? What sort of plot / story line ? Fiction or non-fiction ? Surrealism or reality ? Etc ...
    In short, whatever interests you in writing (or in reading). Once you figure it out or find out, it could give you a greater sense of "direction" and will be a "platform" to channel or base your creativity on.
    5. I would suggest reading stuff (if you feel like it and if you find it suits you). I would say reading helps writing, if you like to put it like that. Maybe read your own favourite books, novels or short stories .. whatever. This could give you examples or possible theme ideas to choose from or to think about. And it could also familiarize you with writing styles of other authors, showing you which methods they use, etc. In short, that could be beneficial too. But please do not push yourself here either ! Again, take it at your own pace.
    Anyway .. I hope the above helps.
    My best wishes - and good luck with your writing !

ReputationRep:
    Yes, really ! I am glad that you are impressed, thanks !
    And Thank You for seeking my advice on writing, this both compliments me personally and is really nice to hear and also shows your willingness and enthusiasm. I am really grateful.
    OK then, I can definitely mention some things by way of my own recommendation which I think will be relevant and applicable to any potential (or "practicing" writer.
    1. Quite importantly, never try to force yourself into writing (saying that just in case). Of course, motivation and willingness and practice are always good .. but I would advise to practice it naturally and at your own pace and not to push yourself or hurry up taking it too fast and not to feel that you "have" to write if - for example - inside you, you are not really feeling like writing at a given moment.
    2. On the other hand, practice and "training" does indeed help ! It will help you to develop your writing skills and polish your style (something I already touched on previously!) and will also make you more used to writing as a process, making you more familiar with it. And it might help to develop and strengthen one's personal patience and writing endurance - so to speak - too.
    3. Gradually, you may want to "seek out" and develop your own personal writing style - that could be fun! And it will bring out your individuality. However, please do not worry if it does not happen at once (it probably will not!) - it may well take some time and practicing (in other words, naturally or again - gradually) .. but eventually when you get there, it could be rewarding.
    I remember I once read somewhere that it is not uncommon for new writers, the beginners, to actually "copy" other authors, initially, whom they may have read - like maybe in terms of theme or writing style - or their works. But like I said, in time, your own style and "direction" will emerge. This is probably how it works. (But of course each person is different or slightly different).
    4. It should also be helpful to consider and think about what it actually is that you want to write about. Or possibly you already have an idea or a clear feeling about this ! But if not, that is fine too. It will come to you eventually. What genre? Which topic (s) ? What sort of character(s), if any? What sort of plot / story line ? Fiction or non-fiction ? Surrealism or reality ? Etc ...
    In short, whatever interests you in writing (or in reading). Once you figure it out or find out, it could give you a greater sense of "direction" and will be a "platform" to channel or base your creativity on.
    5. I would suggest reading stuff (if you feel like it and if you find it suits you). I would say reading helps writing, if you like to put it like that. Maybe read your own favourite books, novels or short stories .. whatever. This could give you examples or possible theme ideas to choose from or to think about. And it could also familiarize you with writing styles of other authors, showing you which methods they use, etc. In short, that could be beneficial too. But please do not push yourself here either ! Again, take it at your own pace.
    Anyway .. I hope the above helps.
    My best wishes - and good luck with your writing !
    Thank you so much . This is really beneficial to learn how to write better. I will try to read something everyday. Thanks for your suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fadim)
    Thank you so much . This is really beneficial to learn how to write better. I will try to read something everyday. Thanks for your suggestions.
    You are most welcome! And thanks for your nice comments.
    I am glad to hear that you found this helpful and useful.
    And I am pleased that you are prepared to apply my suggestion in practice, very nice of you .. and again - it shows your enthusiasm !
    Best of luck again !

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.