Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For The Road, Small Island, Rossetti and/or The Rime Of the Ancient Mariner in particular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jajoba)
    For The Road, Small Island, Rossetti and/or The Rime Of the Ancient Mariner in particular
    Hi, I only do Rossetti of those four. The only two Rossetti poems to have not turned up yet on a paper is The Apple Gatherer and Jessie Cameron, but Cousin Kate and A Royal Princess haven't turned up in awhile. I think Jessie Cameron could possibly be the question for Rossetti. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm doing Rosetti,Browning,The Great Gatsby and Birdsong.. Any predictions for section B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shalamcmahon)
    Hey I'm doing Rosetti,Browning,The Great Gatsby and Birdsong.. Any predictions for section B.
    Hi. I've looked at past Section B questions and they've asked you to write about protagonists and endings of stories but not about antagonists or beginnings yet so that's a possibility. I don't think they've asked about symbols and motifs in Section B yet as I can't find a question on it. I'm hoping for symbols. I have a Section B answer for symbols which is 41/42 if you want it but it's Tennyson, Rossetti and Hosseini.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)
    Hi. I've looked at past Section B questions and they've asked you to write about protagonists and endings of stories but not about antagonists or beginnings yet so that's a possibility. I don't think they've asked about symbols and motifs in Section B yet as I can't find a question on it. I'm hoping for symbols. I have a Section B answer for symbols which is 41/42 if you want it but it's Tennyson, Rossetti and Hosseini.
    Hey please can you attach that section B for symbols Id really appreciate it!!!!!! xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tj789)
    Hey please can you attach that section B for symbols Id really appreciate it!!!!!! xxxxx
    Here it is; hope it helps!

How are symbols and motifs used by the writers you have studied? (41/42)

In Khaled Hosseini’s ‘The Kite Runner’, symbols and motifs are used in a variety of different ways to get different points across. A main motif is the recurring mention of trees throughout the book. For example, in Chapter One, Amir says ‘I sat on a park bench near a willow tree’. Trees represent family and life and so this foreshadows to the reader that this book is about family, as Amir has to find his nephew; Sohrab. The book finishes with ‘A leaf in the woods’ – another reference to trees. This is said in relation to Sohrab’s first smile, illustrating that he might recover from his horrific past. It also makes the book come full-circle. The book starts and finishes with family and regaining a life as Amir no longer is haunted by the guilt he felt over Hassan and he was also given Sohrab back a life by adopting him and keeping him from the horrors of Afghanistan.

Another way trees are used is via the pomegranate tree, which symbolises fertility. At the beginning of the book Hassan and Amir read there and eat the fruit but as Afghanistan becomes unstable and dangerous, the tree begins to die. This symbolises the destruction the Russians and the Taliban brought, and the loss of Afghan values. Hosseini includes this to show how Afghanistan has changed from a cultural country to a wasteland and implies the Taliban are to blame. The pomegranate tree also symbolises Hassan and Amir’s friendship, as they carved their names into the tree as they played there; ‘Amir and Hassan, the sultans of Kabul’. Hosseini does this in order to show us how close they are to each other, almost like brothers. It is effective because as the book goes on and Hassan is raped, we see their friendship fall apart. When they visit the tree again, Amir beats Hassan with pomegranates, desperate for redemption from his betrayal. Hosseini shows us that what was once brotherhood is now filled with Amir’s regret and guilt. Soon, the tree dies, like their friendship.

Another motif is that of short life. Baba’s death contrasted Amir’s happy wedding and tells the reader how short life really is and how easy it can be taken away from us. Baba’s peaceful death serves as a contrast to Sohrab’s violent attempted suicide; ‘the blood soaked razor’ and expresses the idea that life is short. We also see that Amir has wasted most of his life feeling guilty about Hassan and is only able to let go after Sohrab is saved as he is able to forgive himself and look after his brother’s son.

In Tennyson’s ‘Mariana’, symbolism is used in the form of the ‘poplar’ tree – ‘The shadow of the poplar fell upon her bed, across her brow’. In literature, trees symbolise life, just like they do in ‘The Kite Runner’. The fact that Mariana is suicidal; ‘Oh God, that I were dead’, means that she is unnerved by the tree – it symbolises what she doesn’t want; to live. This is effective as it shows what women went through at the time this was written. Once they had become mistress to a man and then rejected, they weren’t wanted by anyone. They were almost better dead. ‘Mariana’ represents the problems faced by many women in the 19th century.

The Poplar tree can also be interpreted as a phallic symbol: it provides a break in an otherwise flat landscape and conveys her sexual hunger for her lover to the reader. This is another reason she dislikes the tree as it reminds her of her abandonment. The Poplar also represents broken promises. In Ovid’s ‘Metamorphoses’, Paris carved his promise to Oenone on a Poplar tree, yet deserted her and thus it has become a literacy device for broken trust and run away lovers. ‘Mariana’ is based on Shakespeare’s ‘Measure for Measure’, where Angelo broke his promise to her and leaves. This means the tree symbolises Angelo’s betrayal.

Tennyson has many characters in his poems that long for death such as in ‘Ulysses’ who is desperate for action after having grown old and mentions that maybe ‘the gulfs will wash us down’, wanting to die an adventurous death. In ‘Tithonus’, death is a constant motif for Tithonus. The world is mocking him with its ability to die while he rots slowly on Earth. The poem starts with ‘The woods decay, the woods decay’ showing that the trees are dying and their life cycle has ended. This is significant as Tithonus is stuck in between the land of the living and the dead as he is cursed to never die, yet continue to grow old; ‘Give me immortality’. Another symbol is shadows as Tithonus is now a shadow of what he once was – ‘for this gray shadow, once a man’ and he is now a ‘white-hair’d shadow’. This illustrates that he is neither alive nor dead and is in a purgatory where he can’t die. It also empathises his complete inability to change his situation as shadows are nothing – they can’t touch anything or have any power. He is a faded image of who he actually was.

In Rossetti’s poems, betrayal is a strong motif, such as in ‘Cousin Kate’ where the narrator is deceived by her own blood and by her lover. The narrator shows her hurt by saying that she might have ‘been a dove’ but ‘[He] chose you and cast me by’. The rejection leaves the narrator with little choice in life as her ‘fair-haired son’, born out of wedlock will leave her ostracized for life, reflecting the social values of the time. The narrator makes it clear that if she had been in Kate’s position, she’d ‘spit into his face’. Rossetti wrote about the lives of women after their lovers left them as she worked at a shelter for ‘fallen women’ who’d suffered this.

Betrayal is also seen in ‘Sister Maude’, where the opening line is ‘Who told my mother of my shame?’ This illustrates anger and hurt of the narrator until we find out that it was ‘Sister Maude’ who has caused all this suffering by ‘lurk[ing] to spy and peer’. In the last line of this poem, the speaker says ‘oh sister Maude, bide you with death and sin’ as the sister cannot get over the disbelief in what her sister has done – ruining her happiness with her lover and somehow causing the death of her parents. Rossetti writes that the narrator doesn’t forgive her sister. This leads to the idea that a reputation in Rossetti’s time was worth more that sisterly love. Her loss of what society perceived as ‘good’ was worth more than family to the extent that she could never forgive her sister for what she had done. Betrayal is also seen in ‘Maude Clare’ as the ‘lord was pale with inward strife’ as he married ‘Nell’ and rejected Maude Clare.

ReputationRep:
    Symbols and motifs was the 2014 question unfortunately!

ReputationRep:
    I'm retaking this year, symbols and motifs was the 3 text question last year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracelillyevans)
    I'm retaking this year, symbols and motifs was the 3 text question last year!
    No wonder I couldn't find it! Thanks, though I really hope they repeat it, they do that occasionally!

ReputationRep:
    No wonder I couldn't find it! Thanks, though I really hope they repeat it, they do that occasionally!
    me to! they also did a really nice section a, its a shame i got symbols and themes muddled up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracelillyevans)
    me to! they also did a really nice section a, its a shame i got symbols and themes muddled up!
    Good luck this time! Hopefully it will be an easy paper!

ReputationRep:
    I failed my English Lit coursework, and it's 40% of my overall grade! My exam is on Friday and I'm literally so scared. Will my coursework bring my grade down, even if I get an A in the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frizzybear)
    I failed my English Lit coursework, and it's 40% of my overall grade! My exam is on Friday and I'm literally so scared. Will my coursework bring my grade down, even if I get an A in the paper?
    What was your mark out of 60?

For GCSE, in one of my subjects I got a U in the coursework but an A* in the exam and it leveled out as a B

ReputationRep:
    I think i got around 24/60, and my teacher said that was U

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frizzybear)
    I think i got around 24/60, and my teacher said that was U
    Maths is not my strong point but if the entire A Level is out of 144 and lets say you get 80/84, 80+24=104. 104/144*100 = roughly 72% which is probably a B depending on the grade boundaries, if I've done that correctly. That means you will have to work incredibly hard in the exam. But it is possible

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm doing Frost Poetry, The Road, Gatsby and Ancient Mariner
    if anyone has any information etc on what is likely to come up please say!!!

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt that symbols & motifs or openings will come up as they both came up last year - May 2014.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 14, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.