Name:  tumblr_lkhyqkldvz1qacnfuo1_500.gif
Views: 52
Size:  336.3 KB
Meg/an.7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mr Earnshaw brings gypsy child (H) to Wuthering Heights, his daughter Catherine forms a friendship whilst his son Hindley hates his new 'brother'. Catherine and Heathcliff are wild and do not fit with society, they are the complete opposite to Edgar and Isabella, the two Linton children who live in the beautiful and refined Thrushcross Grange.Mr Earnshaw dies therefore Hindley is then able to treat Heathcliff badly, Hindley also marries a woman called Francis. C and H go to the Grange to ridicule the Lintons, however Catherine is attacked by a dog and forced to stay. She returns a few weeks later but is changed; she begins to see Heathcliff less.Francis dies and leaves behind her son, Hareton Earnshaw; Hindley becomes an alcoholic .Catherine explains to the housekeeper Nelly, that Edgar has asked her to marry him, but that she will still be close to Heathliff, who she loves but that it would 'degrade' her to marry him. H leaves and Catherine marries Edgar. H returns a gentleman, and eventually elopes with Isabella Linton.Isabella Linton returns with Heathcliff, but escapes to the south after being cast off by her brother and badly treated by H. Catherine grows increasingly unstable, unable to explain her true feelings. She dies not long after giving birth to her daughter Cathy. Heathcliff gains WH from Hindley, who dies not long after.
Many years later, Isabella's and H's son Linton return to the Grange. Once H claims him, he plans to marry him to Cathy, therefore one day he imprisons her at WH. Edgar Linton is dying at this point on the novel. Linton and Cathy are married but Linton dies soon afterwards, along with Edgar Linton. This means that H now owns both the Grange and the Heights and is raising Hindley's son Hareton as a servant, with little idea of his true rights to WH. Heathcliff becomes more unstable; Nelly finds him dead in Catherine's room. They bury him next to Catherine like he had always wanted. He left no will, meaning that Hareton and Cthy inherit both the TG and WH. They decide to marry and move to TG.

Not a very quick summary but there's so much to include...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?