1+5t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I want to go into a science/medical related career when I grow up. I am currently in my exam stage for my GCSE's and I have chosen BTEC Level 3 applied science (double award) a language and I cannot decide between BTEC Level 3 I.T or Psychology. i am currently getting C's in my mock exams for my GCSE's and i want to go into a career which is similar to a doctor/dentist which has good pay but lower requirements as i am not hat clever. Thanks
asifa129
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, if you want to go down the medical route, id go for psychology. Its more of a science and also more varied and interesting than ict... i initially started with ICT nut found that it lackrd variety so switched fo psychology which i rnjoy greatly.

If you are looking to go to uni, check entry requirements. Remeember, even if you dont get the required grades you can do a foundation case at university prior to you syarting the course.

also, if you dont think you can avhive high grades ad you want to go in the medical field, consider NVQ's...its a much easier way of accessing the medical/dentistry field. if youvd been to orthodontics, many of their staff havr a NVQ in dentistry in oppose to an actual doctrate or masters

Good luck and all the best
1+5t
Rep:
?
(Original post by asifa129)
Hi, if you want to go down the medical route, id go for psychology. Its more of a science and also more varied and interesting than ict... i initially started with ICT nut found that it lackrd variety so switched fo psychology which i rnjoy greatly.

If you are looking to go to uni, check entry requirements. Remeember, even if you dont get the required grades you can do a foundation case at university prior to you syarting the course.

also, if you dont think you can avhive high grades ad you want to go in the medical field, consider NVQ's...its a much easier way of accessing the medical/dentistry field. if youvd been to orthodontics, many of their staff havr a NVQ in dentistry in oppose to an actual doctrate or masters

Hi thanks for the quick reply! What do you mean by NVQ? Is it like a level 3 course at college?If so do you think Bradford or Leeds College will do it?

Kind regards.
asifa129
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sayfi)
Hi thanks for the quick reply! What do you mean by NVQ? Is it like a level 3 course at college?If so do you think Bradford or Leeds College will do it?

Kind regards.
I think its something similar, i just read up on it somewhere and thought it would be good if i shared it. Its worth googling...im not too sure whether Bradford or Leeds college offer them but its worth having a look on their websites. Bradford may offer it as they do offer many vocational courses.
asifa129
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just looked it up:
Bradford College
--Dental Nursing: NVQ
1+5t
Rep:
?

Hi thanks for the quick reply! What do you mean by NVQ? Is it like a level 3 course at college?If so do you think Bradford or Leeds College will do it? Also I would like to know if there is a scinece related degree w***** accept L3 btec applied science double?

Kind regards.
asifa129
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
https://www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/co...ingor-sep-2015

That is the link to the Bradford college course...
Sorry for being extremely vague...im very bad when it comes to explaining
it is like a level 3 or may involve working at a dentist, etc and training.
is that a GCSE or A-level award...
1+5t
Rep:
?
https://www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/co...ingor-sep-2015

That is the link to the Bradford college course...
Sorry for being extremely vague...im very bad when it comes to explaining
it is like a level 3 or may involve working at a dentist, etc and training.
is that a GCSE or A-level award...
Aww thanks will this help me become a dentist? Also what other medical/sciency jobs can you get with Btec L3 applied science double?

Thanks!
asifa129
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im not too sure about these types of courses...you might want to google it or ask someonr ekse.
all the best
University of Bradford
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Sayfi, I’ve stumbled across your thread and thought I’d make a quick post.

In terms of the Level 3 BTEC Diploma (12 units) it’s equivalent to 2 full A Levels and the highest grades a student can achieve is D*D* (280 UCAS tariff points). Please note there are various BTEC qualifications and levels and you would be best speaking with the specific provider of the course.

NVQ qualifications can vary in terms of Levels and if they equate to UCAS tariff points. As mentioned already, I would recommend you contact the specific supplier of the course.

I can see you’ve been given a link to visit Bradford College’s website. I would encourage you to contact them directly on 01274 433333 after viewing their courses.

In terms of careers advice I would recommend you speak with Bradford College about this (or whoever you are considering studying with), do some online research about what businesses are looking for and speak with your current tutor or careers advisor.

If I can be of any further assistance or if you would like any specific information about the University of Bradford and the courses we offer please do PM me or post below. Best of luck and I hope this information helps!
1+5t
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Bradford)
Hi Sayfi, I’ve stumbled across your thread and thought I’d make a quick post.

In terms of the Level 3 BTEC Diploma (12 units) it’s equivalent to 2 full A Levels and the highest grades a student can achieve is D*D* (280 UCAS tariff points). Please note there are various BTEC qualifications and levels and you would be best speaking with the specific provider of the course.

NVQ qualifications can vary in terms of Levels and if they equate to UCAS tariff points. As mentioned already, I would recommend you contact the specific supplier of the course.

I can see you’ve been given a link to visit Bradford College’s website. I would encourage you to contact them directly on 01274 433333 after viewing their courses.

In terms of careers advice I would recommend you speak with Bradford College about this (or whoever you are considering studying with), do some online research about what businesses are looking for and speak with your current tutor or careers advisor.

If I can be of any further assistance or if you would like any specific information about the University of Bradford and the courses we offer please do PM me or post below. Best of luck and I hope this information helps!
Thank you so much! Do you know of and medical/sciency realted degrees that accept Btec L3 science
University of Bradford
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sayfi)
Thank you so much! Do you know of and medical/sciency realted degrees that accept Btec L3 science
We do offer a Foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine BSc (Hons) course which you may be interested in.This Foundation course provides students the option of progressing onto the first year of Clinical Sciences BSc (Hons) whilst also allowing up to 20 students the option of progress onto the year 1 of the MBChB at the University of Leeds Medical School.

Applicants interested in applying for the course are required to achieve DMM from the Level 3 Extended BTEC Diploma (18 units). In addition to this all applicants are asked to have a GCSE English, Maths and a Science at grade C or above.

If this course is not really what you’re after you may find it useful visiting the UCAS website. By visiting their website and using the Search Tool you can find other institutions that offer courses related to your area of interests.

I hope you find this information useful and do let me know if I can be of any further help!
schmuur
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sayfi)
Hi, I want to go into a science/medical related career when I grow up. I am currently in my exam stage for my GCSE's and I have chosen BTEC Level 3 applied science (double award) a language and I cannot decide between BTEC Level 3 I.T or Psychology. i am currently getting C's in my mock exams for my GCSE's and i want to go into a career which is similar to a doctor/dentist which has good pay but lower requirements as i am not hat clever. Thanks
you can get an apprentiship in dental nursing, or you could do general nursing at uni (which need specific a levels, like biology or sociology so check them out before deciding your a levels/btecs)
if you become a dental nurse and get some experience you may even be able to go to uni as a mature student to study dentistry, I'm not sure though so you'll have to check that out.
other jobs which are less similar but still in a medical environment include speech and language therapy, physiotherapy, occupational theraphy etc. I don't think you will have quite so much earning potential with these jobs though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise