The Student Room Group

Stricter laws against "Islamist extremist ideology" in UK

Scroll to see replies

It's about time we took the hard approach rather than taking the weak p**** approach
We could just 'allow' them to do whatever in East London, it's so chavvy no one would want to go there anyway...

Since it's Islam I'm not too bothered by the laws - it's as important to me as Africa is. But for the future, I disagree in general with restricting freedom of speech. Since this doesn't seem to be stopping (look at our government's runaway data collection program :rolleyes:), I think one option is copy China and allow these people to speak any controversial issues 'publicly' in special 'forums', with the aim at attracting opposition who can debate the subject at hand. However no limitations should be made on speech or conversation in private.

My support for how Dutch subsidse their media using a media fund also supports establishing fourms as in such a situation funds would be made available to record and broadcast forum talks with the speaker consent.

As a person who generally supports diversifying how we choose governors, it could even become another arm of government as a type of open direct democracy. A similar debating forum exists in Switzerland, and is lauded there as a form of direct democracy.

This reminds me of the UK vs Russia thing that happened during the Cold War, or even people who are blinded by religions that ban freedom of sexuality. It's generally not progressive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending