Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did you think the exam went for you?

Personally I couldn't answer question 5, the one about p and using the discriminant to find it.

I also struggled with question 10, the second part. I came out with a nasty quadratic that I couldn't factorise, complete the square, or use the quadratic formula on.

Other than that I managed to answer all the other questions!

ReputationRep:
    For p you had to get the values and put it into b^2-4ac then factorise it. I think I got a 16 somewhere. Then divded it by 2 an then 4 or something of that sort.

On one of them asking for the distance of A and B you had to get root 90= 3 root 10. Use the formula of distance.

Overall it was it was ok.

ReputationRep:
    Yea but the problem for the p one I know you had to do that. But the equation it wanted you to get included p^2. But B in that equation was 4 from 4x, so there was no way to get p^2 as far as I could see, since the only vaules of p were in the a and c parts of the equation.

And yea it wasnt that question i struggled with. It was the one about finding the x-coordinate on the curve with a parallel line, the very last question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam0410)
    Yea but the problem for the p one I know you had to do that. But the equation it wanted you to get included p^2. But B in that equation was 4 from 4x, so there was no way to get p^2 as far as I could see, since the only vaules of p were in the a and c parts of the equation.

And yea it wasnt that question i struggled with. It was the one about finding the x-coordinate on the curve with a parallel line, the very last question.
    I used the quadratic formula for that question and got something like x>3/2 + 2root2, and x<3/2 -2root2

ReputationRep:
    I found Q10 horrid too because long integration questions are horrid and I usually make a stupid, pathetic mistake like not carrying a power over and thus the entire question is ruined.

However, for 5 I did pretty well I think

I got p^2+6p-1>0

I used the quadratic formula to find p because it doesn't factorise and ended up with some okay looking surds.

ReputationRep:
    Think I used completing the square to solve p. (Don't remember using the quadratic formula at all.)

ReputationRep:
    Question 7?! y=2^x

ReputationRep:
    Q5 and Q10 I could hardly do. I attempted Q5 and then gave up, it was like WTF. Like nothing I have ever seen, I don't understand why the exam board don't just give us the questions in the format we learnt instead of making it all jumped up.

ReputationRep:
    y=2^x
    4^x=(2^2)^x=2^2x
    2y=2^2x
    right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeroShun)
    I used the quadratic formula for that question and got something like x>3/2 + 2root2, and x<3/2 -2root2
    Same here.

ReputationRep:
    What was the value of K from 5K ?

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to find the c in the f(x) question and integrating question 10 was pretty tricky. How many marks do you think it was to find the c and put it into the equation?

Second part of question 10 was really sneaky, you had to rearrange the equation they gave you into y=mx+c and then find the gradient. After that you had to use the dx/dy equation to find out what the x co-ordinate was by making it = 2 (-1/2) was the gradient of the normal. I managed to come to the conclusion that x^2 = 9 so i made x = + or - 3

4th question was 4^x = y^2 so you had to sub in y into the equation. Pretty sure that was a c2 question lol.

How did people find the other questions?

I'm not too sure about the money question, I worked out that k=11 so i used n=10 for the sum of the money from 1-10 years and then added 10x(her peak) to find the total for the 20 years

1st question confused me so i moved on and came back to it, managed to work out 3 + the root of 10

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 13, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.