Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!
    So my driving test is in 2 days time and I'm pretty confident in my ability but still nervous at the same time. The main thing I'm concerned about is the t-junction leaving the test centre (Durham, Meadowfield).Approaching the t junction, your view is blocked by bushes on the right, but its normally pretty open on the left. However the last few times there have been parked cars within 10 metres of the junction to the left, blocking the view. The amount of parked cars carrys on quite far down the road, making it impossible to see anything smaller than a lorry etc. I know one should do the creep and peep method to deal with this, but that means coming off the give way line and practically using the parked as a new give way reference, meaning that ill be blocking the lane for cars coming from the right. Will this result in a fail since ill probably be causing a few cars coming from the right to stop while i try to get out, or are examiners lenient for mistakes made within the first few minutes (the junction is literally 30 seconds away from the test centre.
    Thanks!
    Liam
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    It's unfortunate that more and more junctions are becoming like the one you described. You're not alone and it really irritates me when drivers park so inconsiderately. I have to deal with junctions like that every day. In all major cities around the UK, you begin to get used to it.

From your post, it sounds like you have a reasonable knowledge and awareness, so let's look in detail at the points you raised:

(Original post by lilam691)
    I know one should do the creep and peep method to deal with this, but that means coming off the give way line
    Correct. If it has to be done, it has to be done. As long as you observe carefully and give way to anything that needs giving way to, that's fine. It should go without saying that you must observe the the right and check the right is clear before taking up your advanced protruding position. Driving straight out into the advanced position, then looking right to see the ensuing chaos is risky and unacceptable.

using the parked as a new give way reference,
    Again, correct. Whenever you cannot see, you can't just take a chance and jump out; you have to move forwards to a place where you can see, then make a fresh assessment. Tip of the day: open your window so you can hear traffic approaching, and when you decide it's safe to go, get a move on to get out of the way so you don't dilly-dally in the danger zone forcing traffic to brake.

meaning that ill be blocking the lane for cars coming from the right.
    Technically, yes.. but from the main road drivers' point of view, their lane will be blocked by the parked cars anyway, so your presence should make no difference to them providing you observe them and give way to them.

Will this result in a fail since ill probably be causing a few cars coming from the right to stop while i try to get out,
    As above, if the cars are already forced to stop by the parked cars and your presence hasn't made any difference to them, then you haven't done anything wrong. If they could have passed the parked cars and they pass you, no problem. If they choose to hold back to make your emerge easier, that's their choice, but you alone should not be forcing them to stop.

are examiners lenient for mistakes made within the first few minutes (the junction is literally 30 seconds away from the test centre.
    No. Assessment of a fault should be the same in the first 30 seconds as in the last 30 seconds and throughout the test. Running a red traffic light would be a fail no matter how soon or late it happens, so obstructing traffic unnecessarily will be assessed in the same way; on its merits, rather than based on some arbitrary timing.

Examiners do use their judgement and common sense. If they can see that your partial emerge was necessary under the circumstances, and that the traffic would be obstructed by the parked cars anyway therefore your presence made little difference, then they will assess that you have done the correct thing.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.