Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a graduate with a 1st degree in English Literature. I've always been passionate about education and have some experience with private tutoring. I'm seriously considering doing a Postgrad Education degree because I love it so much.

The only thing is the the numeracy skill test. I have a learning disability called Dyscalculia which means I have very low numeracy. I can't do mental maths. It's pretty embarrassing but it's my life. I have looked at mock skill tests online and I know that even if I had extra time on the test I would fail.

I know that to be a teacher you need to know how to calculate grades, etc. But I've seen my friend do this and she just does it with a spreadsheet and calculator. I can do that! But I can't do the mental maths!

I would fail the entry test. I feel so disheartened. I would make an great teacher, I know it. All I want to do is teach English but I'm held back by my stupid brain.

Are there any alternative paths I can take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missface)
    I'm a graduate with a 1st degree in English Literature. I've always been passionate about education and have some experience with private tutoring. I'm seriously considering doing a Postgrad Education degree because I love it so much.

The only thing is the the numeracy skill test. I have a learning disability called Dyscalculia which means I have very low numeracy. I can't do mental maths. It's pretty embarrassing but it's my life. I have looked at mock skill tests online and I know that even if I had extra time on the test I would fail.

I know that to be a teacher you need to know how to calculate grades, etc. But I've seen my friend do this and she just does it with a spreadsheet and calculator. I can do that! But I can't do the mental maths!

I would fail the entry test. I feel so disheartened. I would make an great teacher, I know it. All I want to do is teach English but I'm held back by my stupid brain.

Are there any alternative paths I can take?
    If you have been diagnosed with a condition like this then they will make adjustments for you. If you call the skills tests helpline they can go into detail, but you can have 25% more time etc

http://sta.education.gov.uk/professi...l-skills-tests

The test is very basic maths, maybe with enough practice and extra time you may pass. Try not to let it out you off before you have explored your options

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who sat their skills test for maths 11 times . They are now a successful teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry444)
    I have a friend who sat their skills test for maths 11 times . They are now a successful teacher.
    You are only allowed to take it 3 times now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I had to log in to write on this thread. I'm a teacher. When I was training I knew the numeracy test was going to be very hard for me, and I failed it twice by one mark. This was the year where I was already training but still only had three attempts. My uni put me forward to be assessed and I was 'diagnosed' as having dyscalculia. They were very supportive in helping me apply to Pearson for extra provisions. I had a paper-based test and double time (I think). I passed in the end, it was one of the best days of my life!

I trained in secondary history but I'm now doing supply teaching in primary schools, and I do find year 5 and 6 maths quite hard at the top end, but I'm only day to day supply so I can get by. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am struggling (so, so) hard with exactly the same problem. I'm on my 23rd consecutive day of practising. I bought the book and two online tests which are totally different from one another which is another difficulty on top of it all.
    I also have dyscalculia and would love to know how you, StarBabyCat managed to get the extra provisions. They only grant me 25% extra and I'm sitting here crying, because I'm trying so hard and know I will fail :'(.
    I too have a degree in English literature and got accepted for modern foreign languages at UCL.
    What can I do??
    Miriam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miri1983)
    Hello,
    I am struggling (so, so) hard with exactly the same problem. I'm on my 23rd consecutive day of practising. I bought the book and two online tests which are totally different from one another which is another difficulty on top of it all.
    I also have dyscalculia and would love to know how you, StarBabyCat managed to get the extra provisions. They only grant me 25% extra and I'm sitting here crying, because I'm trying so hard and know I will fail :'(.
    I too have a degree in English literature and got accepted for modern foreign languages at UCL.
    What can I do??
    Miriam
    Hi Miriam,

I was just wondering if you managed to pass the test.
    Im in the same boat as you but struggling to pass the Maths QTS.

Hannah

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I’m in the same situation. I’ve got a first Language degree and speak 5 languages. But I struggle to pass maths. I applied las year and missed my last attempt by one mark. I reapplied again this year and I missed it again 3 times by 1 mark ( the second time by3). I know I’ve got unlimited attempts but I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!!!!!!
    I’m afraid I’ve got Dyscalculia but how can I find out?

Thank you for answering
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by elizamaths)
    Hello

I’m in the same situation. I’ve got a first Language degree and speak 5 languages. But I struggle to pass maths. I applied las year and missed my last attempt by one mark. I reapplied again this year and I missed it again 3 times by 1 mark ( the second time by3). I know I’ve got unlimited attempts but I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!!!!!!
    I’m afraid I’ve got Dyscalculia but how can I find out?

Thank you for answering
    If you are very close to passing then I think you must be able to get there with a bit more practice. Could you invest in an hour or two of tutoring? If you make a list of topics you struggle with, you might find someone able to help with techniques etc.

To find out if you have dyscalculia I think you would need to see an educational psychologist. If you're out of education, you would have to pay for this, and it wouldn't be cheap. Would extra time help you on the test?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.