Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I really need some help! Sorry about the essay...
    I am in the process of applying to student finance as I'm meant to be starting a social work degree in September. I have a certificate of higher education through the open university which is 120 credits (equivalent to one years full time study). I did this qualification to meet the entry requirements of the social work course instead of an access course/ a levels as i needed to continue working full time. Before I enrolled on this course I spoke to several different people from student finance who advised me that my funding for a social work degree would not be affected by a CertHe because it only counts as one years study, therefore i'd be entitled to 3 years full funding for my degree. So I went ahead and did the qualification and got accepted onto a social work degree... I have now received a letter which says I won't be entitled to tuition fee loans or a maintenance grant for the first year of my degree. I phoned student finance about it and have had a lot of conflicting advice - half the people i speak to tell me that this is correct- I've had two years previous study and this will be deducted from my 4 years entitlement- regardless of whether those two years study were on a part time basis. Others say they just need confirmation from the Open University that i have only studied 120 credits and that when they have received this my application will be amended and i'll receive 3 years funding. I just need some clarification on the guidelines on previous study as i'm getting a lot of misinformation ? Thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

We take 'years' of previous study into consideration so if your previous course was studied over 2 years and you achieved a qualification then this would count as a 2-year deduction to your entitlement.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think i'd have a chance if i appealed this decision because i was misinformed on this by several people from student finance. I only did this course because they said it would not affect my entitlement. If i knew i'd have to fund one year myself i would have done an access instead.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

Every adviser you speak to will leave a note with what they've told you and, of course, all calls are recorded. If there's evidence on your account that you have been misinformed which has resulted in you applying under false pretences then you may have grounds for appeal.

Any appeals can be directed to [email protected].

Thanks

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.