The Student Room Group

wjec c1 maths 13th may

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PrimeLime
How did you manage to use right-angled triangle trigonometry with a right-angle?? XD
You won't lose all the marks.

I know I was so stupid 😂 I just put it in between AC because I couldn't think where else it would go ( not thinking about d) silly mistake as I didn't read the question properly as per usual with me
So we're both applying for Cambridge maths?

No man, i'm applying for medicine, and it's so competitive that the average ums last year for successful applicants was 96ish %
Original post by Firestartc
No man, i'm applying for medicine, and it's so competitive that the average ums last year for successful applicants was 96ish %

Wow, I guess you still need massive UMS for maths then!!
And definitely Chemistry, which I only need 80 in! :colondollar:
Are you doing WJEC Chemistry?
Wow, I guess you still need massive UMS for maths then!!
And definitely Chemistry, which I only need 80 in! :colondollar:
Are you doing WJEC Chemistry?

Don't you still need a high average UMS for all your subjects though? yeah, I'm doing wjec chemistry as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mr rump
I know I was so stupid ������ I just put it in between AC because I couldn't think where else it would go ( not thinking about d) silly mistake as I didn't read the question properly as per usual with me

Most people got weird surd (and pretty absurd) answers to that question anyway like 2root5/root10. (Excuse the pun, it was just so appropriate.)
I guess it helps to take subtle hints from the question like "simplifying your answer". If you can't simplify it, then it's wrong! But yours might have simplified, I dunno.
I hope you at least tried to draw it out! I had to draw it out!
Original post by Firestartc
Don't you still need a high average UMS for all your subjects though?

Nah not really chemistry... I don't like chemistry...
That's not to say I won't get high UMS in chem because I am putting a lot of work in and CH1 is very easy (I haven't even started CH2 papers).
Physics is fairly important in terms of UMS, I guess, but I'm very good at the 'mathsy' module PH1 and PH2 needs a LOT of work.
Maths and FM I would like 600/600 total UMS (ideally!). Just to really make Cambridge want me.
That's not to say I won't get high UMS in chem because I am putting a lot of work in and CH1 is very easy (I haven't even started CH2 papers).
Physics is fairly important in terms of UMS, I guess, but I'm very good at the 'mathsy' module PH1 and PH2 needs a LOT of work.
Maths and FM I would like 600/600 total UMS (ideally!). Just to really make Cambridge want me.

Do Cambridge accept Welsh bacc? haha
Original post by Mr rump

I don't know much about Welsh bacc :confused:
You'd have to find out by looking them up.
I don't know much about Welsh bacc :confused:
You'd have to find out by looking them up.

Don't you do Welsh bacc in your school?
Original post by Mr rump

They must do otherwise it would be unfair.
Original post by Mr rump

No, but I don't know what it is...
I go to a private school; maybe that has something to do with it?
Original post by Mr rump
That's what I did, I didn't show it as 1/20 though, I just said if you put 40 into the equation you get a positive value so therefore it's a minimum. Will I still get full marks?

I dunno, I calculated it just in case but as long as you state what the reason was you should be ok.

They aren't ever going to 'really want you' for your grades. Those are expected.
They look at so much more than that.
Original post by WhisperingTide
They aren't ever going to 'really want you' for your grades. Those are expected.
They look at so much more than that.

All they expect is 90+ UMS. Anything more puts you ahead of the pack. There's not that much more than they look at, since the admissions test is part of the offer. UMS is the main factor and definitely the biggest reason why they'd interview you. They don't even care about your extra-curricular activities!! The only other factor is what kind of interest you've taken outside of the curriculum and whether you actually have a passion for maths. That's all you need for an interview. To do well in the interview you just need to show that you're good at problem solving and very teachable. And for the admissions test when you've got your offer you just need to be good at problem solving.
For maths, there's not much that they look at. They want you to be good at maths and want you to be easy to teach in supervisions etc. Of course, for other subjects, there are many other important factors, but not for maths.
All they expect is 90+ UMS. Anything more puts you ahead of the pack. There's not that much more than they look at, since the admissions test is part of the offer. UMS is the main factor and definitely the biggest reason why they'd interview you. They don't even care about your extra-curricular activities!! The only other factor is what kind of interest you've taken outside of the curriculum and whether you actually have a passion for maths. That's all you need for an interview. To do well in the interview you just need to show that you're good at problem solving and very teachable. And for the admissions test when you've got your offer you just need to be good at problem solving.
For maths, there's not much that they look at. They want you to be good at maths and want you to be easy to teach in supervisions etc. Of course, for other subjects, there are many other important factors, but not for maths.

Sorry, were you the guy for maths or medicine?
Original post by Mr rump

Most universities (unless they're Welsh universities) don't accept Welsh Bacc. because they haven't heard of it, and it's just something that applies to Wales.

My school don't do Welsh Bacc., but they're starting to do so next year. My year miss out since it'd be useless to have half a Welsh Bacc.
Sorry, were you the guy for maths or medicine?

Maths? I thought I made it pretty obvious...
Maths? I thought I made it pretty obvious...

Thought you were someone else, my bad.
Thought you were someone else, my bad.

At least now you now a bit more about the Cambridge maths application process XD
At least now you now a bit more about the Cambridge maths application process XD

What private school are you in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending