Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I've been watching the forums for a while, but haven't seen a thread specifically for people heading to Brookes in September to study for a Primary PGCE. So I thought I would start this off for anyone who wanted to say hi, has any queries about accomodation etc that people could help with, or just for general chat to get to know each other a little bit prior to September.

Personally, I can't wait to get started!

Simon

ReputationRep:
    HI Simon,

I am also off to Brookes this September - PGCE Primary 5-11 years. I too am looking forward to it very much, but also a little anxious as it has been a while since I was last a student. Have you heard anything from them yet other than the DBS and health qnnrs?
    Lisa

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lisa,

The only other thing I have had through so far is the accommodation application. I guess they may send some more stuff when I get my degree class confirmed in June. Are you local to Oxford?

Simon 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'll be doing the 5-11 Primary PGCE in September and commuting in from where I live in Aylesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Yasmin, that's great to here. Are you a student at the moment? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i have been given a conditional offer for Primary PGCE 2015-2016 (5-11). However, I have not received any letter or any next steps on what and how I will get the DBS done and I need to complete ten days experience before I start the course and I have that sorted out but do I request the school to write a report or reference on the time I was there? Or do I just fill in the school experience form? Abit confused. I got the offer 2 weeks ago but not received a letter or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Simon I graduated last year have have been a teaching assistant for the year, what's your route into the PGCE been like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm graduating from a Geography degree this summer and heading straight into PGCE at 21. I've always wanted to be a teacher and have done a fair bit of experience over the last few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

(sorry Simon i did try and reply earlier, but my login wouldn't work. I'm from Didcot BTW - just down the road, so a local. I did go to Brookes in 1999-2002).

I have just received my pack today with forms for bursary and student info. Also the book list containing about a million titles!! I kind of really need to pull my finger out now to read them before Sept! I have a head start in that I have already got (and read) Diary of a Wombat - which I read to my kids often, but that is all. As this is virtually two words per page, I think I need to progress to something more challenging. I have to admit that I am a little nervous of starting the course as I have not studied for 15 years.

Has anyone organised their first placement yet? I have verbally arranged to go to a local school, but not sure what I have to do it formally. Brookes told me about a form, but I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

congrats on your offers, I just found out I got accepted by Brookes for a PGCE (3-7) starting in September.
    I also did Geography at uni, Simon. I've done two terms as an unqualified Year 1 teacher so happy to answer any questions anyone has about teacher training and teaching in general.

Is anyone interested in setting up a facebook group for our cohort? I need a friend to invite before it will let me create one!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, yes, I would be happy to join group. I'm doing 5-11 pathway.
    Lisa

ReputationRep:
    I made a fecbook group but mods won't let me post the link
    So how is everyone preparing for September?

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting there. Read quite a few of the kids books, but not quite so enthusiastic about the more academic ones. Need to start the sock investigation soon. :-)

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone doing about the Primary Professional Studies book by Hansen (2015); the specified edition for pre-course reading is not due to be published until 12th September 2015? I've e-mailed Caroline Westell but not had a response.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi simon, ive ordered it too. I did speak to caroline ages ago and she was aware of it. She was going to look into it and email everyone. She did mention about the previous edition, but surely that has the old curriculum. I guess were all in the same boat. Have you received any other info than the book list etc info? I havent heard back about the bursary, which i need to sort out my funding with.
    Lisa

ReputationRep:
    I pre-ordered the new version and read some of the most recent, 2012 version. I've attached my notes in case it's any use to anyone - although not sure my notes will make sense. The first chapter (the required reading) is really just an overview of the history of schooling and the curriculum, but obviously doesn't say anything about the new National Curriculum.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Hanson PPS notes chapter 1.docx (14.1 KB, 129 views)

ReputationRep:
    Join the fb group, hopefully someone might be able to answer your questions on there

facebook.com/groups/1385844451725477/

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else applied for Westminster Halls for accommodation? Just found out that I've been allocated room L2F.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am doing 5-11 pathway! Is there a Facebook group to join? If so what's the name of it?

Also looks like we are flat mates Simon I am L2D

ReputationRep:
    Hey Coleen, that's great to here. I am not aware if there is a Facebook group yet.

What info have you had about the accommodation, I've only received my PIP log in details, nothing about when I have to pay each instalment etc? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.