Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have my english lit exam on monday on pip and i dislike the book so can't bring myself to re read it (we did it in class last year) so i sort of just remember main bits... i can't find any revision guides or anything to help does anyone know where i can get one/ or give me some advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen199)
    i have my english lit exam on monday on pip and i dislike the book so can't bring myself to re read it (we did it in class last year) so i sort of just remember main bits... i can't find any revision guides or anything to help does anyone know where i can get one/ or give me some advice
    The internet is your friend

ReputationRep:
    This really helped me - I haven't even read the whole book (I've been off school since the end of year 10!) and I'm taking the exam on Monday too.. good luck!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Mr Pip Revision notes.docx (22.0 KB, 268 views)

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same exam on Monday and I wasn't in school when my class finished the book so my teacher told me it'd be a good idea to watch the movie (you can find it online). She also mentioned that it's good to remember the AO1, AO2 and AO4 as all of them need to be addressed in order to get a high mark.

AO1 - respond to texts critically and imaginatively; select and evaluate relevant textual detail to illustrate and support interpretations
    AO2 - explain how language, structure and form contribute to writers’ presentation of ideas, themes and settings (many students lose marks here because they don't discuss the language; e.g. metaphors, adjectives etc.)
    AO4 - relate texts to their social, cultural and historical contexts; explain how texts have been influential and significant to self and other readers in different contexts and at different times
    So when you go in the exam make sure you speak about each of these things so you don't limit yourself in terms of the marks you can get.

http://www.revisionbox.net/video/eng...atildas-mother - I found this one quite useful

Hope this helped at least a little bit. I hate the text and especially the fact that there isn't much information about it online.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kally_g)
    I'm doing the same exam on Monday and I wasn't in school when my class finished the book so my teacher told me it'd be a good idea to watch the movie (you can find it online). She also mentioned that it's good to remember the AO1, AO2 and AO4 as all of them need to be addressed in order to get a high mark.

AO1 - respond to texts critically and imaginatively; select and evaluate relevant textual detail to illustrate and support interpretations
    AO2 - explain how language, structure and form contribute to writers’ presentation of ideas, themes and settings (many students lose marks here because they don't discuss the language; e.g. metaphors, adjectives etc.)
    AO4 - relate texts to their social, cultural and historical contexts; explain how texts have been influential and significant to self and other readers in different contexts and at different times
    So when you go in the exam make sure you speak about each of these things so you don't limit yourself in terms of the marks you can get.

http://www.revisionbox.net/video/eng...atildas-mother - I found this one quite useful

Hope this helped at least a little bit. I hate the text and especially the fact that there isn't much information about it online.
    Good luck
    how do i structure it please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fishmonger-uk)
    how do i structure it please?
    I'm not sure to be fair, i haven't been give a plan to follow so really I just write what comes to mind, as long as you do it in chronological order or for (a) you start explaining from the beginning of the passage to the middle then the end. I was also told that they should be in the form of a PEE paragraph but then again, i don't know if any of this is for sure. Sorry

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Mister Pip, I haven't read it all but I know a hell of a lot of context, themes, symbolism and that's all you need. Mister Pip is weighted majorly on how you link to context. My teacher says that you for part a) pick two quotes from the passage and part b) two quotes again but from anywhere in the book. You can also add additional quotes throughout your essay in to emphasise a point.

Structure of a PEE paragraph
    1. Point i.e Jones presents Matilda's thoughts and feelings about home as the epitome of
    inconsolability
    2. Evidence/ This is demostrated in the line/ when (character name) says "......"
    3. Explanation. e.g this suggests the desolation the small island has conflicted upon Matilda/ this highlights the harsh contrasts on how barren the island is for matilda
    4. Structure/Language: The use of the word "constant" represents there is continous infliction of agony as Matilda has been left to feel alone. Structure shows us the contrast between the forge vs Matilda through the opposing words "embraced" and "horrible"
    5. Alternatively: the jungle could be a symbol for the contrast between matilda and jungle; otherwise known as a symbol for the reskins oppresion.
    6.Context- This represents the harsh reality under the time of the civil war, where anarchy and violence were an eminent issue.
    7. Writers Intention
    8. Readers effect
    9. link to question (optional)

My english is kinda sucky but I hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsamor)
    I'm doing Mister Pip, I haven't read it all but I know a hell of a lot of context, themes, symbolism and that's all you need. Mister Pip is weighted majorly on how you link to context. My teacher says that you for part a) pick two quotes from the passage and part b) two quotes again but from anywhere in the book. You can also add additional quotes throughout your essay in to emphasise a point.

Structure of a PEE paragraph
    1. Point i.e Jones presents Matilda's thoughts and feelings about home as the epitome of
    inconsolability
    2. Evidence/ This is demostrated in the line/ when (character name) says "......"
    3. Explanation. e.g this suggests the desolation the small island has conflicted upon Matilda/ this highlights the harsh contrasts on how barren the island is for matilda
    4. Structure/Language: The use of the word "constant" represents there is continous infliction of agony as Matilda has been left to feel alone. Structure shows us the contrast between the forge vs Matilda through the opposing words "embraced" and "horrible"
    5. Alternatively: the jungle could be a symbol for the contrast between matilda and jungle; otherwise known as a symbol for the reskins oppresion.
    6.Context- This represents the harsh reality under the time of the civil war, where anarchy and violence were an eminent issue.
    7. Writers Intention
    8. Readers effect
    9. link to question (optional)

My english is kinda sucky but I hope I helped!

Yes you helped sooo much !!! So I only need four quotes over all ?!! and that can get me an A*
    Also what have you used to revise please?

thanks you so much
    also what about the play part , how do i approach and structure it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fishmonger-uk)
    Yes you helped sooo much !!! So I only need four quotes over all ?!! and that can get me an A*
    Also what have you used to revise please?

thanks you so much
    also what about the play part , how do i approach and structure it
    Yes, well that's my teacher advice as long as you explain throuroughly two quotes for each section then you'll be on the top bands. If you follow thesteps for a PEE you are already guranteed a B if you explain it craply (like I dID IN MY MOCK for short stories xD

eHH I just read my past essays and stuff.
    Well I don't study any plays but we did do a CA on one last year, I just did the PEE paragraph but commenting on structure was commenting on stage directions.

ReputationRep:
    How was the exam everyone?]
    I hated the passage E.E

For B)
    I talked about the setting and how it reflected the civil war/the oppression the redskins caused/the isoslation of the island/ and a tiny paragraph section on the ignorance between cultures and the outside world, did I talk about the right thing?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=physicsamor;55930697]How was the exam everyone?]
    I hated the passage E.E

Didn't have enough time, only had 5 minutes to complete b) :/

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=kally_g;55933221]
    (Original post by physicsamor)
    How was the exam everyone?]
    I hated the passage E.E

Didn't have enough time, only had 5 minutes to complete b) :/
    As long as your a) was good it'll balance off. I timed myself well but it meant not writing as much that I was supposed to write, I hope I pass I need a C ;-;

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 18, 2015

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.