The Student Room Group

Complex Exponentials

Need some help here with this question

I know the exponentials required, cos=1/2(e^ix+e^-ix) and sin=1/2i(e^ix-e^-ix) but Im not certain really what to do. I assume I have to multiiply the cos exponential by 4 and then cube it? But I cant seem to get the correct answer after taking just ther real parts.

Anyone able to help me?
Original post by Eremor

I know the exponentials required, cos=1/2(e^ix+e^-ix) and sin=1/2i(e^ix-e^-ix) but Im not certain really what to do. I assume I have to multiiply the cos exponential by 4 and then cube it? But I cant seem to get the correct answer after taking just ther real parts.

Anyone able to help me?

Cube then multiply.

Post some working. I can imagine where you're going wrong but I'd like to see your working before commenting further.
What do you get when you work it:
4(12(eix+eix))34 \cdot (\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix}))^3?
Reply 3
Original post by Eremor

I know the exponentials required, cos=1/2(e^ix+e^-ix) and sin=1/2i(e^ix-e^-ix) but
Anyone able to help me?

No. cos and sin do not equal anything, but
cosx=eix+eix2\displaystyle \cos x=\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}
and so for sin x
Reply 4
Original post by Eremor

Anyone able to help me?

quote me if help is still needed
Reply 5
Original post by TeeEm
quote me if help is still needed

Hey Know its been a while since I posted this but I'd spent time practicing for other exams and have just got back to This problem.

Here's what ive done 11251563_10155557813565414_1496897598_n.jpg

Im really close with what ive done but get the whole thing multiplied by 2 for some reason, any ideas?
Reply 6
Original post by Eremor
Hey Know its been a while since I posted this but I'd spent time practicing for other exams and have just got back to This problem.

Im really close with what ive done but get the whole thing multiplied by 2 for some reason, any ideas?

you got me in a very busy spot

look at similar solved questions, 31, 33, 49, 57, 61, 67 ...
in this link
http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/various/complex_numbers_part_2_exam_questions.pdf
Original post by Eremor

Going from line5 to line6 your multiplying fraction should have changed from 1/8 to 1/4. Look back at your formula of cosθ\cos\theta

Also note that your formula of sinθ\sin\theta is incorrect, you're missing an "i".
Reply 8
Original post by ghostwalker
Going from line5 to line6 your multiplying fraction should have changed from 1/8 to 1/4. Look back at your formula of cosθ\cos\theta

Also note that your formula of sinθ\sin\theta is incorrect, you're missing an "i".

Sorry am sure im missing something obvious but why does it go from 1/8 to 1/4?
Original post by Eremor

2cosθ=eiθ+eiθ 2\cos\theta = e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta}
Original post by Eremor
Because e3θi+e3θi=2cos(3θ)\displaystyle e^{3 \theta i}+e^{-3 \theta i}=2cos(3\theta) so you have 18×2cos(3θ)=14×cos(3θ)\displaystyle \frac{1}{8} \times 2cos(3\theta)=\frac{1}{4} \times cos(3\theta) This is because if you look for your formula for cos theta you will notice it has a 2 in the denominator which I'm guessing you have forgotten about.
Reply 11
Ah I see now. Thank you both!
Original post by Eremor
Ah I see now. Thank you both!

No problem. Good luck in your exams.

Quick Reply

Latest