i_dont_know_what
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello!
I am revising the Watchmaker Analogy by Paley, I don't remember any criticisms and critics names for it though, can you help please?
Thanks
PS. This is for Unit 1 Religious Studies with the Design Argument section
JemmaMatthews
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! i was under the impression that there was no need to evaluate Paley's watchmaker analogy. We just need to be able to evaluate the teleological argument as a whole.
i_dont_know_what
Rep:
?
(Original post by JemmaMatthews)
Hi! i was under the impression that there was no need to evaluate Paley's watchmaker analogy. We just need to be able to evaluate the teleological argument as a whole.
Ohhh! Thanks I thought with the 9 mark question (after the 21 mark question) we normally have to evaluate what we said previously
So what would you put as an evaluation for the teleological argument as a whole? Would you say what Hume said??
JemmaMatthews
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by i_dont_know_what)
Ohhh! Thanks I thought with the 9 mark question (after the 21 mark question) we normally have to evaluate what we said previously
So what would you put as an evaluation for the teleological argument as a whole? Would you say what Hume said??

You could use the general evaluations of the teleological argument to evaluate then i suppose. Id use mainly Hume (Many builders and Absent designer), Kant (restricted experience) Mill (Suffering and cruelty) Darwin (random chance and Adaption) and Dawkins (nature of god). Let me know if you'd like me to go into detail with any of these
i_dont_know_what
Rep:
?
You could use the general evaluations of the teleological argument to evaluate then i suppose. Id use mainly Hume (Many builders and Absent designer), Kant (restricted experience) Mill (Suffering and cruelty) Darwin (random chance and Adaption) and Dawkins (nature of god). Let me know if you'd like me to go into detail with any of these
Thanks can you go into detail with Kant please? I have never really understood that one
JemmaMatthews
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks can you go into detail with Kant please? I have never really understood that one

Basically, he just means that as humans we only know and are able to make conclusions about the world that is directly around us (things we can experience through our senses i.e things we can actually see). So, we can't make statements or come to any conclusions about what is beyond our senses (things we cant see i.e 'a designer' 'God') because we can't be 100% certain that what we are suggesting is accurate. Therefore, any statements that we make like ''the universe has a design'' for example can not be valid because we have no proof.
i_dont_know_what
Rep:
?
Basically, he just means that as humans we only know and are able to make conclusions about the world that is directly around us (things we can experience through our senses i.e things we can actually see). So, we can't make statements or come to any conclusions about what is beyond our senses (things we cant see i.e 'a designer' 'God') because we can't be 100% certain that what we are suggesting is accurate. Therefore, any statements that we make like ''the universe has a design'' for example can not be valid because we have no proof.
Thank you so much
JemmaMatthews
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much
No problem, good luck!!
i_dont_know_what
Rep:
?
No problem, good luck!!
And you! Tell me how you do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (75)
14.94%
1 (69)
13.75%
2 (65)
12.95%
20.52%
20.32%
5 (88)
17.53%

Watched Threads

Latest