Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I am revising the Watchmaker Analogy by Paley, I don't remember any criticisms and critics names for it though, can you help please?
    Thanks
    PS. This is for Unit 1 Religious Studies with the Design Argument section

ReputationRep:
    Hi! i was under the impression that there was no need to evaluate Paley's watchmaker analogy. We just need to be able to evaluate the teleological argument as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemmaMatthews)
    Hi! i was under the impression that there was no need to evaluate Paley's watchmaker analogy. We just need to be able to evaluate the teleological argument as a whole.
    Ohhh! Thanks I thought with the 9 mark question (after the 21 mark question) we normally have to evaluate what we said previously
    So what would you put as an evaluation for the teleological argument as a whole? Would you say what Hume said??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_dont_know_what)
    Ohhh! Thanks I thought with the 9 mark question (after the 21 mark question) we normally have to evaluate what we said previously
    So what would you put as an evaluation for the teleological argument as a whole? Would you say what Hume said??

You could use the general evaluations of the teleological argument to evaluate then i suppose. Id use mainly Hume (Many builders and Absent designer), Kant (restricted experience) Mill (Suffering and cruelty) Darwin (random chance and Adaption) and Dawkins (nature of god). Let me know if you'd like me to go into detail with any of these

ReputationRep:
    You could use the general evaluations of the teleological argument to evaluate then i suppose. Id use mainly Hume (Many builders and Absent designer), Kant (restricted experience) Mill (Suffering and cruelty) Darwin (random chance and Adaption) and Dawkins (nature of god). Let me know if you'd like me to go into detail with any of these
    Thanks can you go into detail with Kant please? I have never really understood that one

ReputationRep:
    Thanks can you go into detail with Kant please? I have never really understood that one

Basically, he just means that as humans we only know and are able to make conclusions about the world that is directly around us (things we can experience through our senses i.e things we can actually see). So, we can't make statements or come to any conclusions about what is beyond our senses (things we cant see i.e 'a designer' 'God') because we can't be 100% certain that what we are suggesting is accurate. Therefore, any statements that we make like ''the universe has a design'' for example can not be valid because we have no proof.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, he just means that as humans we only know and are able to make conclusions about the world that is directly around us (things we can experience through our senses i.e things we can actually see). So, we can't make statements or come to any conclusions about what is beyond our senses (things we cant see i.e 'a designer' 'God') because we can't be 100% certain that what we are suggesting is accurate. Therefore, any statements that we make like ''the universe has a design'' for example can not be valid because we have no proof.
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much
    No problem, good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    No problem, good luck!!
    And you! Tell me how you do

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.