Turn on thread page Beta
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Overview
    Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job with study.
    As an apprentice you’ll:Apprenticeships take 1 to 4 years to complete depending on their level.

Levels of apprenticeship
    An apprenticeship has an equivalent education level and can be:
    • Intermediate - equivalent to 5 GCSE passes
    • Advanced - equivalent to 2 A level passes
    • Higher - can lead to NVQ Level 4 and above, or a foundation degree
    Who can apply
    You can apply for an apprenticeship while you’re still at school. To start one, you’ll need to be:
    • 16 or over
    • living in England
    • not in full-time education
    How to apply
    There are 3 steps to applying for an apprenticeship.
    1. Search for an apprenticeship.
    2. Sign in or create an account.
    3. Complete and submit your application.
    The National Careers Service has advice on writing applications and what to do at interviews.If you’re unsuccessfulYou can ask for feedback if you don’t get selected for an interview or for the apprenticeship.

You can complain if you think you weren’t successful because you were discriminated against, or your treatment in the interview or application process was unfair.

Apprenticeship helpline
    Telephone: 0800 015 0400 or 0247 682 6482
    [email protected] .gov.uk

If you need more experience, or If you feel you’re not ready for an apprenticeship, a traineeship is a course designed to prepare you for one.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I want to apply for an apprenticeship but I see that all apprenticeships require GCSE, A levels or UCAS point. I think I have neither of them because I didn't study in the UK, so is there any way so I can gain these qualifications? I have a bachelor degree in engineering with GPA 2.96

Thanks in advance
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by nad89)
    Hello,

I want to apply for an apprenticeship but I see that all apprenticeships require GCSE, A levels or UCAS point. I think I have neither of them because I didn't study in the UK, so is there any way so I can gain these qualifications? I have a bachelor degree in engineering with GPA 2.96

Thanks in advance
    Hi nad89
    An Apprenticeship is a qualification lower than a degree.Although you could still do an apprenticeship (providing you are a UK resident)it will not be funded by the government.
    In terms of qualifications, as you already have a Bachelor’sDegree you must also already have the equivalent of GCSEs and A levels. (againproviding they are valid in the UK)
    If you do decide apply for an apprenticeship, all this willbe explained in further details by the training provider.
    I hope this answers you question.

Amina

ReputationRep:
    Hi Amina thank u for ur reply and help , what is an internship? Is it also lower than a degree? In my case i don't have experience and any graduate job requires minimum 1 year experience, so what can I do? Is there any companies that provide training or volunteering jobs to gain experience?
    Thanks
    Nada

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nad89)
    Hi Amina thank u for ur reply and help , what is an internship? Is it also lower than a degree? In my case i don't have experience and any graduate job requires minimum 1 year experience, so what can I do? Is there any companies that provide training or volunteering jobs to gain experience?
    Thanks
    Nada
    Yeah you can do interships with out being Uk resident. It mainly depends on what area did you study, some has more to offer than others. Google will give you the best answers. Just type "Intership and job type" You will get tons of result.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by nad89)
    Thanks
    Nada

Hi Nad89,

I sent you a private message answering all your questions above. I hope it was helpful and that your search for a placement is going well.

Amina
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Is anyone thinking of becoming an Apprentice? Here is some key information!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.