The Student Room Group

Thinking about becoming an apprentice?

Overview
Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job with study.
As an apprentice you’ll:

work alongside experienced staff

gain job-specific skills

study towards a related qualification (usually one day a week)

Apprenticeships take 1 to 4 years to complete depending on their level.

Levels of apprenticeship
An apprenticeship has an equivalent education level and can be:

Intermediate - equivalent to 5 GCSE passes

Advanced - equivalent to 2 A level passes

Higher - can lead to NVQ Level 4 and above, or a foundation degree

Who can apply
You can apply for an apprenticeship while you’re still at school. To start one, you’ll need to be:

16 or over

living in England

not in full-time education

How to apply
There are 3 steps to applying for an apprenticeship.

Sign in or create an account.

Complete and submit your application.

The National Careers Service has advice on writing applications and what to do at interviews.If you’re unsuccessfulYou can ask for feedback if you don’t get selected for an interview or for the apprenticeship.

You can complain if you think you weren’t successful because you were discriminated against, or your treatment in the interview or application process was unfair.

Apprenticeship helpline
Telephone: 0800 015 0400 or 0247 682 6482
[email protected]

If you need more experience, or If you feel you’re not ready for an apprenticeship, a traineeship is a course designed to prepare you for one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hello,

I want to apply for an apprenticeship but I see that all apprenticeships require GCSE, A levels or UCAS point. I think I have neither of them because I didn't study in the UK, so is there any way so I can gain these qualifications? I have a bachelor degree in engineering with GPA 2.96

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by nad89
Hello,

I want to apply for an apprenticeship but I see that all apprenticeships require GCSE, A levels or UCAS point. I think I have neither of them because I didn't study in the UK, so is there any way so I can gain these qualifications? I have a bachelor degree in engineering with GPA 2.96

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi nad89
An Apprenticeship is a qualification lower than a degree.Although you could still do an apprenticeship (providing you are a UK resident)it will not be funded by the government.
In terms of qualifications, as you already have a Bachelor’sDegree you must also already have the equivalent of GCSEs and A levels. (againproviding they are valid in the UK)
If you do decide apply for an apprenticeship, all this willbe explained in further details by the training provider.
I hope this answers you question.

Amina :smile:
Reply 3
Hi Amina thank u for ur reply and help :smile:, what is an internship? Is it also lower than a degree? In my case i don't have experience and any graduate job requires minimum 1 year experience, so what can I do? Is there any companies that provide training or volunteering jobs to gain experience?
Thanks
Nada
Reply 4
Original post by nad89
Hi Amina thank u for ur reply and help :smile:, what is an internship? Is it also lower than a degree? In my case i don't have experience and any graduate job requires minimum 1 year experience, so what can I do? Is there any companies that provide training or volunteering jobs to gain experience?
Thanks
Nada

Yeah you can do interships with out being Uk resident. It mainly depends on what area did you study, some has more to offer than others. Google will give you the best answers. Just type "Intership and job type" You will get tons of result.
Original post by nad89
Thanks
Nada

Hi Nad89,

I sent you a private message answering all your questions above. I hope it was helpful and that your search for a placement is going well.

Amina :smile:
Is anyone thinking of becoming an Apprentice? Here is some key information!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending