The Student Room Group

Help with OCR (not MEI) fp1 specimen paper, question 6

Could someone please show me how to work out question 6 part iii part b. I have my exam tomorrow!

https://3ed6c47c6c1ead854571a830aabac4d23871f1f4.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQ0ZBTlpRSFI0eTA/Specimen%20QP%20-%20FP1%20OCR.pdf
Original post by Beckyboo308
Could someone please show me how to work out question 6 part iii part b. I have my exam tomorrow!

https://3ed6c47c6c1ead854571a830aabac4d23871f1f4.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQ0ZBTlpRSFI0eTA/Specimen%20QP%20-%20FP1%20OCR.pdf

Ill give you a hint first, it is the point at which the line made by arg(z) intersects with the line made by arg(a).
Reply 2
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Ill give you a hint first, it is the point at which the line made by arg(z) intersects with the line made by arg(a).

Ah ah I thought it might have been that, but I don't know how to find the line made by arg(z)? Am I just being really stupid and this is actually really easy
Reply 3

Isnt that hat just a point on the circle?
Ah ah I thought it might have been that, but I don't know how to find the line made by arg(z)? Am I just being really stupid and this is actually really easy

Isnt that hat just a point on the circle?

Say

z=a+bi[br][br]arg(z)=tanθz = a+bi[br][br]arg(z) = \tan \theta

Where

tanθ=ba \tan \theta = \frac{b}{a}

Extend this line segment you get into a line and you get:

arg(z) arg(z)

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5

Say

z=a+bi[br][br]arg(z)=tanθz = a+bi[br][br]arg(z) = \tan \theta

Where