The Student Room Group

Wjec as biology by1 - 12 marker predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supergirlxxxxxx
Same I said the chromosomes condense and become visible as 2 chromatids joined at the centromere. Centrioles replicate and move to the opposite ends, spindle formation and nucleolus and nuclear membrane disappears! BUT ITS WRONG because they asked for plant cells :frown: never learn it in plant cells ffs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crap but why would they put something on that we have never learnt (it's not on the syllabus for plant cells) so I reckon what we put will still be right.
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
ScreenHunter_21 May. 21 16.42.jpg

Can anyone see mitosis in plants? Cause I can't

Me either, WJEC actually sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile
But plant cells don't have centrioles so how would it take place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The spindle still forms but not from centrioles. I think it's because of microtubules in the cytoskeleton but it's not on the WJEC syllabus so I think they'd just accept spindle fibre formation.

-----

Screw that, apparently they form from the nuclear envelope.
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought that was a very difficult paper and even harder than last year. Questions that threw me included the one on proteins and how they fused, solute potential one and prophase in an animal cell. Any suggestions?
Reply 104
ScreenHunter_21 May. 21 16.42.jpg

Can anyone see mitosis in plants? Cause I can't

Dont over complicate things wjec wont ask stuff beyond our knowledge, mitosis does take place in plants it takes place in the meristems!
Grade boundaries for A
Original post by Aylaar
Dont over complicate things wjec wont ask stuff beyond our knowledge, mitosis does take place in plants it takes place in the meristems!

Grade boundaries for a? Do u think it was harder then last yr
Reply 107
No I got 55 but I could be wrong as 3.4/0.34=10 so that's how many gaps there were in one complete turn not how many base pairs then you have an extra base on the end gap so that's 11 then 11x5=55

As if you had one gap you would have one at begining and one at end of gap making 2
That paper was awful. What did you put for the virus question?
Original post by Ollie.H
No I got 55 but I could be wrong as 3.4/0.34=10 so that's how many gaps there were in one complete turn not how many base pairs then you have an extra base on the end gap so that's 11 then 11x5=55

As if you had one gap you would have one at begining and one at end of gap making 2

Grade boundaries?
There were a few tricky questions, but the relatively pleasing essays compensate for that. So as a result I regret to believe that the grade boundaries will be looking higher than last year. Possibly 53-54 for an A?

It's hard to tell with Biology, it depends how harsh they are with their mark schemes.
Would be really helpful if someone could post an unofficial mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought this was a super hard paper, hopefully grade boundaries will be low
by the looks of things many people found it very hard, the upper 6th people at my school who re took it said it was of equal difficulty to last year so id expect low 50's/high 40's for grade boundaries
Original post by Matthew1345
by the looks of things many people found it very hard, the upper 6th people at my school who re took it said it was of equal difficulty to last year so id expect low 50's/high 40's for grade boundaries

Yep I retook this now 3 times and this was the hardest paper, goodbye offer to KCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep I retook this now 3 times and this was the hardest paper, goodbye offer to KCL

may the grade boundaries be in your favour
Original post by All_TheCyanide
That paper was awful. What did you put for the virus question?

RNA, as RNA is a single stranded molecule the bases do not pair up, whether thats true or not is beyond me
Original post by Matthew1345
RNA, as RNA is a single stranded molecule the bases do not pair up, whether thats true or not is beyond me

That's what I put, it's certainly true.

I knew what I wanted to say for that question, but found it surprisingly difficult to put it into words that would satisfy the examiners.

I knew what I wanted to say for that question, but found it surprisingly difficult to put it into words that would satisfy the examiners.

I found I had that problem throughout the exam, I think the thing that threw people this year was the style/wording of the questions, they required longer answers and there were less short 1 mark answers

Same I had to say that the percentage amount of cytosine did not match guanine because it is single stranded and hence the complimentary base pairs doesn't need to be matched up compared to the yeast which is double stranded

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending