Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As I'm hoping to apply for a PGCE in Latin with Classics after my MA, I'm thinking about taking A level Greek to improve my chances and widen what I can teach.

Obviously I am well past A level age now but I did half the intensive course in Greek at my undergrad uni and am at an advanced postgraute level in Latin so the actual learning part I've mostly got down.

What I'm wondering is what textbooks are used?

I know that the Latin A level the specification is a little wishy washy so for things like the grammar, I assume I'm going to have to check the GCSE specification to make sure I get the correct grammar down.

Is there a primary textbook these days or do different schools use their own ones?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, there isn't any specification book for Greek - it has to be done through various resources, if you were to self-teach it. This includes university publications and stuff.

For the unseens, Greek beyond GCSE is a superb book to get you to grips with the requirements, though, if you're not familiar with the grammar, I'd recommend the two books FOR GCSE.

It's definitely challenging and whatnot, but it's also worth it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    What I'm wondering is what textbooks are used?

I know that the Latin A level the specification is a little wishy washy so for things like the grammar, I assume I'm going to have to check the GCSE specification to make sure I get the correct grammar down.

Is there a primary textbook these days or do different schools use their own ones?
    I am self-teaching A Level Greek at the moment, currently halfway through sitting my AS . Definitely get the John Taylor books - Greek to GCSE parts i and ii and then Greek Beyond GCSE. They're written with intensive courses in mind, and the grammar is v clear with accompanying exercises and longer passages of the appropriate difficulty. (Generally I think university courses use the JACT Reading Greek but I have no experience with this.)

I also have an unseen book - think it's just called 'Greek Unseens' - which has some for GCSE, A level and unadapted A2 verse and prose and some notes on scansion.

ReputationRep:
    North and Hillard Greek/Latin Prose Composition is the most detailed and extensive grammar book - you can't go wrong with it. Learning to write in Greek sounds difficult but it is the best way to learn!

ReputationRep:
    I am a GCSE Greek student and like you, I will be self-teaching Greek next year. I would agree, if you want to perfect your grammar the Greek beyond GCSE book is your best bet! John Taylor is very thorough and his books go to AS. After that it's pretty much practicing reading in the origional- have you read any Herodotus yet? I think he is one of the easiest authors to start with. I would also reccomend:
    -Athenaze (for reading practice, I think it takes you up to undergraduate level)
    -Greek for Beginners by L.A. Wilding (this is for the O Level but it's rigour is invaluble)
    -Greek Primer (also by Wilding, for Grammar reference).

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! I decided to go for the John Taylor books - I'm waiting for the first to arrive. I'm having a bit of difficulty tracking down the answer keys though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.