The Student Room Group

Free The Nipple

Summer is coming. I am seeing more and more of this Free The Nipple nonsense in articles and on Facebook.

I don't know what to make of it. Part of me feels that it's very trivial, and that there are far more important feminist issues globally, that need attention, rather than a campaign like this?
But then again, equality and all that, "Men can do something we can't!". We can take off our tops and reveal our chest/nipples where as women 'can't'.

The more and more I think about it, the more I believe that women should be able to take off their tops without 'the stigma attached'. Having said that, female breasts should not be desexualised and reduced to 'just a bit of flesh'. They, if anything, should be celebrated. The female form is incredibly beautiful, exceptionally sexy and just pure art. Breasts are attractive. Men will look. Women will look. Female breasts are not the same as mens, even biologically. (They may have been at birth, but I meant post-puberty females).

A woman can be made to reach orgasm through her breasts. They serve a sexual purpose. (The same could be said for men, but this is far less common)

I do believe the female form should be celebrated in a way that empowers women of all shapes and sizes. But I think that desexualisation is almost just as bad as oversexualisation.

Scroll to see replies

Is it Free the Nipple or Ban Page 3?

They can't have it both ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's a good thing, I rarely agree with feminism but this is certainly good.

I just wish all women would feel the same that their nipples need to be free!
Reply 3
Original post by JD1lla
Summer is coming. I am seeing more and more of this Free The Nipple nonsense in articles and on Facebook.

I don't know what to make of it. Part of me feels that it's very trivial, and that there are far more important feminist issues globally, that need attention, rather than a campaign like this?
But then again, equality and all that, "Men can do something we can't!". We can take off our tops and reveal our chest/nipples where as women 'can't'.

The more and more I think about it, the more I believe that women should be able to take off their tops without 'the stigma attached'. Having said that, female breasts should not be desexualised and reduced to 'just a bit of flesh'. They, if anything, should be celebrated. The female form is incredibly beautiful, exceptionally sexy and just pure art. Breasts are attractive. Men will look. Women will look. Female breasts are not the same as mens, even biologically. (They may have been at birth, but I meant post-puberty females).

A woman can be made to reach orgasm through her breasts. They serve a sexual purpose. (The same could be said for men, but this is far less common)

I do believe the female form should be celebrated in a way that empowers women of all shapes and sizes. But I think that desexualisation is almost just as bad as oversexualisation.

Desexualisation is not likely in the slightest. Not at all. I don't even believe that most people in society are mature enough for any woman topless to walk around the place with minimal issues.

You can't just change things and not anticipate the consequences, or expect everyone to simply, change how they act and take you into account overnight
Original post by JD1lla

People can be brought to orgasm by many things, it doesn't necessarily mean that body part is inherently sexual and should be covered. Breasts are meant for nursing. That's it. From an African perspective, western men's obsession with breasts is hilarious. We tend to associate them with babies first.

As someone with breasts, I want desexualisation. The way we (in the West) treat breasts is ridiculous. You can use breasts to sell a product, but breastfeeding mothers are vilified. You can show 90% of the breast with barely a comment, but show a nipple on television and you could be sued. And wearing bras isn't actually the most comfortable thing in the world believe it or not, but we feel obliged to because people get brought to the brink of hysteria by the slightest silhouette of a nipple.

Actually, even better, I want female sexuality to not be seen as the equivalent to a moral transgression when male sexuality does not receive the same treatment. Many women find male chests attractive, but that attraction hasn't been used to dictate what men can and can't do with their bodies. Meanwhile, in many places wearing a vest top in summer will get you disapproving looks when you have breasts. And wearing shorts if you have legs (that have also been sexualised to a ridiculous degree for some reason???). Many have even been told off for having visible bra straps, as if the very suggestion that you have breasts somewhere on your person is enough to send straight men into a frenzy. You all sound incredibly fragile, coming from a woman.

You can't honestly believe that there is empowerment in having a non-sexual part of your body so comprehensively controlled by the desires and misconceptions of heterosexual men.

Posted from TSR Mobile
:h: Free what???

Do you mean like a nipple extraction, removal (like the dude on telly who cut them off and pickled them or something) or the natural response to a crying baby... if you still produce your own milk instead of feeding your baby something from a cow's udder ....:colondollar:
I fully support this campaign.
I say we scrap clothing entirely. That's how people walk their dogs around... I don't want to be prohibited from doing what even a dog can do.

I'm serious BTW.
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
People can be brought to orgasm by many things, it doesn't necessarily mean that body part is inherently sexual and should be covered. Breasts are meant for nursing. That's it. From an African perspective, western men's obsession with breasts is hilarious. We tend to associate them with babies first.

As someone with breasts, I want desexualisation. The way we (in the West) treat breasts is ridiculous. You can use breasts to sell a product, but breastfeeding mothers are vilified. You can show 90% of the breast with barely a comment, but show a nipple on television and you could be sued. And wearing bras isn't actually the most comfortable thing in the world believe it or not, but we feel obliged to because people get brought to the brink of hysteria by the slightest silhouette of a nipple.

Actually, even better, I want female sexuality to not be seen as the equivalent to a moral transgression when male sexuality does not receive the same treatment. Many women find male chests attractive, but that attraction hasn't been used to dictate what men can and can't do with their bodies. Meanwhile, in many places wearing a vest top in summer will get you disapproving looks when you have breasts. And wearing shorts if you have legs (that have also been sexualised to a ridiculous degree for some reason???). Many have even been told off for having visible bra straps, as if the very suggestion that you have breasts somewhere on your person is enough to send straight men into a frenzy. You all sound incredibly fragile, coming from a woman.

You can't honestly believe that there is empowerment in having a non-sexual part of your body so comprehensively controlled by the desires and misconceptions of heterosexual men.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Men are literally criminalised as flashers if they expose their sexual parts in public. Swollen breasts signal sexual availability. They are self-mimicry of the buttocks. Nipples are not a sexual display organ but breasts are.

Even if you downgrade them to merely a secondary sexual characteristic, they would still be expected to be subject to changing cultural norms on whether they are acceptable or not, same as beards on men and leg hair on women. Challenge the cultural norm if you must but don't pretend it's all a conspiracy to oppress you: particularly not a conspiracy by men, whom I think would be quite happy for women to walk around with their tits out all the time.

I think you will find that much of the opprobrium against things like bare legs, bra straps and plunging necklines comes from older women who are jealous that they can't command that sort of attention any more, or else it's in an institution like a school which deals with teenagers and is therefore ambivalent about whether they should preserve their charges' innocence or let their sexuality bloom unhindered.
Reply 9
Original post by TurtleberrySoup

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, am I missing something?

"People can be brought to orgasm by many things, it doesn't necessarily mean that body part is inherently sexual and should be covered."

Really? Such as what? What magical body parts are these?

"Many women find male chests attractive, but that attraction hasn't been used to dictate what men can and can't do with their bodies."

Do you mean muscular chests? I.e. muscle? Pretty normal to be attracted to a muscular physique.

"You use breasts to sell a product"

What products are they?

Breasts are sexual by their very nature. To suggest otherwise would be silly. Do you honestly feel like your body is comprehensively controlled by the desires and misconceptions of heterosexual men?

That statement doesn't make much sense anyway. I'm sure the vast majority of men, straight or not, would love for women to be able to go topless in public.
Reply 10
This reminds me of when I lived in Sydney and the local council tried to ban topless sunbathing on Bondi Beach.. There was uproar! A lot of support for the 'Keep Bondi Topless' campaign :biggrin:
Nonsense. it's not a double standard for men, becuase we do not have breasts. And "female nipples" are "teets".
In fairness, I don't think there are many men who are against this.
i'm against it because the same people would castigate me for staring.
I think women should be topless in public as well. I don't understand the comparison to genitals because they're aren't genitals.
Thought experiment; would you be okay with guys touching your exposed breasts? Guy's chests get touched casually. If you want to be treated the sake you should accept acquaintances touching them for no reason like male chests are.
Original post by DiddyDec

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be silly. Women should be allowed to show off their breasts but men shouldn't be allowed to look. What part of that is hard to understand.
I'm against it because the breast is seen as inherently sexual. The vagina and penis also have a function of reproduction as the nipple is for breastfeeding but I'm not sure many would support men being allowed to walk around outside with their bits hangin out. I'm not against breastfeeding in public though.
Reply 18
Bad idea!

Us men won't be able to control our rape urges!

Original post by JD1lla
I'm sorry, am I missing something?

"People can be brought to orgasm by many things, it doesn't necessarily mean that body part is inherently sexual and should be covered."

Really? Such as what? What magical body parts are these?

One of my mates once told me that he brought his girlfriend to orgasm by sucking on her toe. He maintains it, but I'm still not sure if srs...

Original post by DiddyDec

While I'm inclined to agree with you on this, I think context is important.
Someone could make the argument that Page 3 was sexual objectification, whereas someone getting their baps out at the beach shouldn't be seen as controversial because the breasts aren't an inherently sexual bodypart (although that in itself would make Page 3 a non-issue; either breasts are universally sexual [at which point The Scums objectification of them is morally dubious), or they aren't [therefore making said objectification awks for everyone involved]. I can see both sides of the argument).

Though seeing as this is a social issue, it's difficult to see it in such black and white terms. I think the whole point of both movements (Ban Page 3/Free The Nipple) is to remove the way society sees breasts (ie; as purely sexual devices aimed to titillate. Pardon the pun :colone:). Page 3 definitely sexualised them, and the reason that breasts being out in public is so controversial in some social circles is because of this open sexualisation (not saying that The Scum is the main cause of this "stigma", but they certainly didn't do much to say otherwise).

Apologies for the brackets :h:

Quick Reply

Latest