Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas on what could be a likely essay title that may come up for Jane Eyre this year? I know you can never really predict it, but what do you think or have been told may come up, my teacher said religion hasn't popped up in a while? Thoughts?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by yazdro)
    Anyone got any ideas on what could be a likely essay title that may come up for Jane Eyre this year? I know you can never really predict it, but what do you think or have been told may come up, my teacher said religion hasn't popped up in a while? Thoughts?
    Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazdro)
    I was thinking religion as well but with the secondary text (The Magic Toyshop) I'm doing, there isn't much I could say to compare or contrast. What secondary novel are you doing?
    I'm hoping for Role of Men or even the Supernatural!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farawayfromnowhere)
    I was thinking religion as well but with the secondary text (The Magic Toyshop) I'm doing, there isn't much I could say to compare or contrast. What secondary novel are you doing?
    I'm hoping for Role of Men or even the Supernatural!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I'm dong the magic Toyshop too and I hope as you say that something on patriarchy or gothicism comes up because there are so many pertinent links to be made with Jane Eyre!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazzaaa)
    Yeah I'm dong the magic Toyshop too and I hope as you say that something on patriarchy or gothicism comes up because there are so many pertinent links to be made with Jane Eyre!
    Yep!! For Gothic, you could bring in Rochester, Bertha, Fairytales & the Supernatural elements surrounding them both. Also about Thornfield and how it's described & identifies with it's inhabitants Rochester & Bertha but not Jane. You'd link this to TMTS by talking about the role of Uncle Phillip, his general dark presence, his oppressive rules & temper etc. Agree?
    I'm retaking this from last year so I might be completely wrong. Lol 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep!! For Gothic, you could bring in Rochester, Bertha, Fairytales & the Supernatural elements surrounding them both. Also about Thornfield and how it's described & identifies with it's inhabitants Rochester & Bertha but not Jane. You'd link this to TMTS by talking about the role of Uncle Phillip, his general dark presence, his oppressive rules & temper etc. Agree?
    I'm retaking this from last year so I might be completely wrong. Lol 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Funnily enough I'm retaking this too as I got a B last year and I'm hoping for an A so that I can get an A overall.I agree with you yes, that when it comes to all things gothic you can talk about uncle phillip and even the severed hand Melanie finds in the cupboard. You could also link it to the idea of bluebeard and the bloody chamber also by angela carter!

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough I'm retaking this too as I got a B last year and I'm hoping for an A so that I can get an A overall.I agree with you yes, that when it comes to all things gothic you can talk about uncle phillip and even the severed hand Melanie finds in the cupboard. You could also link it to the idea of bluebeard and the bloody chamber also by angela carter!
    Ahh! Didn't even think of the hand, nice one!

I'm trying to find some examples of magic realism in The Magic Toyshop but I've come to a loss. What do you think?

Ah, I got a C. I'm hoping for a B overall. Kinda pessimistic about the exam tomorrow 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh! Didn't even think of the hand, nice one!

I'm trying to find some examples of magic realism in The Magic Toyshop but I've come to a loss. What do you think?

Ah, I got a C. I'm hoping for a B overall. Kinda pessimistic about the exam tomorrow 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well you can talk about the mystical qualities of the moon and the idea of lunacy in the garden on chapter 1 where melanie puts on the wedding dress. The moon almost signifies a sense of supernatural and witchcraft.

have a close look at that section

ReputationRep:
    How did people find the exam?

ReputationRep:
    How did people find the exam?
    The unseen I found a bit tricky but overall I thought it was quite good. The desire question threw me when I first read it but I understood it after a couple more reads you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did the Home poetry and the first one was quite tricky and weird in my opinion.
    But overall, the desire question was quite good and also the unseen poetry. Easily to understand for me.

ReputationRep:
    What was the named poem for the thematic question for the home poetry?

ReputationRep:
    I think the only named poem for Home was My Father Played the Melodian. I did the one on poets writing about a stereotypical view of home, and the Jane Eyre one on desire

ReputationRep:
    Section A - Calm
    Section B - Calm
    Section C - did intro - p1 - p2 - p3 - p4 - conclusion so 6 paragraphs and ran out of time so rushed conclusion...
    17 + 34 + 25 = 76.
    Got 76/80 in CW.

I'll either scrape A or miss A.
    I pray to god its the former.

ReputationRep:
    Did the poem for the unseen section and found it fairly tricky to understand.

I did the question on stereotypes of poetry about home which was good I guess and did the extract question for Jane Eyre which was on suspense

ReputationRep:
    got carried away doing the prose question as i had too much to say, so i rushed the poetry essay and couldn't manage to do the last unseen question. considering the fact that i was retaking it and i need an overall A, i'm sorta disappointed in myself. it was fairly easy though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ctreloar)
    What was the named poem for the thematic question for the home poetry?
    It was 'My father played the melodeon', I compared it to 'The House of Hospitalities'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marinaetc)
    got carried away doing the prose question as i had too much to say, so i rushed the poetry essay and couldn't manage to do the last unseen question. considering the fact that i was retaking it and i need an overall A, i'm sorta disappointed in myself. it was fairly easy though
    This was a retake for me too and I'm hoping for at least an A overall for English!

I assume you're also doing unit 3 on war texts and poetry - the exam being on the 11th of June - how you preparing for that?

ReputationRep:
    This was a retake for me too and I'm hoping for at least an A overall for English!

I assume you're also doing unit 3 on war texts and poetry - the exam being on the 11th of June - how you preparing for that?
    unit 3 im doing relationships! just doing essays and giving them in for marking. also trying to memorise critic quotes. i've kinda dropped the studying though because i was focusing on unit 1 revision the past few weeks. you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marinaetc)
    unit 3 im doing relationships! just doing essays and giving them in for marking. also trying to memorise critic quotes. i've kinda dropped the studying though because i was focusing on unit 1 revision the past few weeks. you?
    I'm just getting back to revision for unit 3 after weeks of doing unit 1.
    I'm mostly looking for links across my texts and the poems and trying to memorise quotes from critics and learning the context around each text.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.