Turn on thread page Beta

Who in your opinion deserves an England call-up? watch

ReputationRep:
    From the season we've just witnessed which Englishmen are in the best shape and deserve a call-up ahead of the 2016 Euro? Don't go for the obvious ones please. I'd go with Shelvey and Shawcross both very solid and integral for their teams

ReputationRep:
    Adam Le fondre

ReputationRep:
    Young on the left.

ReputationRep:
    Carl Jenkinson, Cresswell, Shawcross, Selvey, Grealish, Ryan Mason

ReputationRep:
    One of Dier or Stones. Cattermole since Carrick is our only natural holding mid. Possibly Bertrand.

ReputationRep:
    Garbutt & Cresswell

Quite surprised Cresswell hasn't been in the England picture more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The issue with Cresswell is that he's got Baines, Shaw and Bertrand all in front of him. The latter of which definitely warrants a call-up, especially if Walker keeps getting in.

I'd make a strong case for Shelvey being called-up, too, and Grealish. I'd personally have Mark Noble over Mason, though.

ReputationRep:
    Bertrand and cresswell are both more deserving atm than baines and shaw so they should be called up, I cant see too many spurs players getting in after their dismal performance at stoke

if cleverley keeps up his good form in the final few matches he has an outside chance and if Newcastle can perform better in their last two then I reckon colback is in with a shout.

if he continues to play like he did against Chelsea, I reckon Clyne will be replaced in the starting XI by Johnson

Possibly Jack Butland as a back up keeper (don't know if he was in squad recently) if stoke get clean sheets in either of their last two

ReputationRep:
    Additionally, if there is a game e.g. San marino I honestly think Woy should be looking at giving debuts to a few youngsters like Grealish as well as a few older players like Puncheon and Vardy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    The issue with Cresswell is that he's got Baines, Shaw and Bertrand all in front of him. The latter of which definitely warrants a call-up, especially if Walker keeps getting in.

I'd make a strong case for Shelvey being called-up, too, and Grealish. I'd personally have Mark Noble over Mason, though.
    Good point, Shaw hasn't come to his potential yet and this season was pretty average for him while Cresswell plays consistently week in week out.

Problem with mason is that he is still inexperienced and he plays in a position in which experience is one of the most important factors.. He still makes some pretty silly mistakes. I'd give him a year or two to mature his game before calling him in the national.

Also feel Shawcross would make an input due to his experience and good physical attributes overally

ReputationRep:
    The day that dross like Vardy plays for England will be a new low

ReputationRep:
    When you think how long it took Delph and that for 18 months he had been in very good form before he got a call up, the Grealish talk is actually madness. It's more to do with tying him to England than his performances.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    When you think how long it took Delph and that for 18 months he had been in very good form before he got a call up, the Grealish talk is actually madness. It's more to do with tying him to England than his performances.
    Agreed. We've also got that issue with Danny Rose, too, who could easily tie himself to another country so there is now talk of him being roped into the next squad.

ReputationRep:
    Charlie Austin deserves a cap. To have scored 17 league goals playing for the worst team is commendable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benjiP)
    Additionally, if there is a game e.g. San marino I honestly think Woy should be looking at giving debuts to a few youngsters like Grealish as well as a few older players like Puncheon and Vardy
    Vardy has scored 4 goals in 34 apps this season, fair enough he also has 8 assists but that's far from an impressive record. At 28 as well he really is not a long term option, something that should be significant when bringing in any new player, but especially so as England want to build a successful team for 2018/22.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Christ. If Puncheon and Vardy lined up for England at Wembley it would make my childhood seem so long ago.

Once upon a time Le Tissier, Fowler, and Andy Cole couldn't get near the squad, lads.

ReputationRep:
    Jonjo Shelvey, Charlie Austin, Mark Noble, Danny Ings and James Ward-Prowse all come to my mind

ReputationRep:
    As a Leicester fan I think that Vardy isn't ready yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew13)
    As a Leicester fan I think that Vardy isn't ready yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's 28 so safe to say he'll never be ready
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Livermore.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.