Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am sitting my AQA AS English Literature exam in two days, Friday 15th May. I understand the texts I am studying but I have trouble answering the questions, my teacher says I am not answering the question. Could someone please give me a rough structure for how to answer both section A and B like what do the examiners look for and how should I set out my essay? Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I got this from an 'advice from the principle examiner' sheet my college had for the context question:
    Intro - Find a central idea of the extract and write a purposeful paragraph establishing form, audience and the writers intentions.

Main body of the essay - Work through the essay chronologically, picking out key ideas, drawing attention to language, structure and form. Refer to wider reading as you go along, not all at the end.

End- Comment on the ending of the extract, this ties the essay up well but also makes a structural point.

Then for the poetry question I found advice on how to structure it from another user on here:

For whatever theme the question wants you to look at, pick 3 poems, 1 that agrees with the question, 1 that's a 'maybe', so it has some aspects which agree with the question and some that don't. Then structure your essay like this:

1st paragraph: Introduction, give a general sort of answer to the question
    2nd: Analyse the 'yes' poem and explain why is agrees with the question
    3rd: Same for the 'maybe' poem
    4th: Analyse the 'maybe' poem explaining how it disagrees with the question
    5th: Analyse the 'no' poem, comparing it to the other two.
    6th: Conclusion.

I hope this makes sense and helps

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I had a session today where our teacher told sous what to write. Apparently in section Aa it us on language form and structure, Ab is on context and arguments, hi use one text for these two questions. In section b you use the rest of the three texts and use all of it to answer the essay. Hope it was some help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cxptainrxgers)
    Hey! I had a session today where our teacher told sous what to write. Apparently in section Aa it us on language form and structure, Ab is on context and arguments, hi use one text for these two questions. In section b you use the rest of the three texts and use all of it to answer the essay. Hope it was some help
    are you doing lta1a?

section a is contextual linking and b is poetry

ReputationRep:
    I dont think so...new have two section as and a large section b.

ReputationRep:
    So section A is Language form and structure and section B is context and arguments, where does Wider reading come into this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moljane)
    So section A is Language form and structure and section B is context and arguments, where does Wider reading come into this?
    We basically have information on the author, society at the time etc. so then in Ab you use this context within your points to back them up. So say if it was a patriarchal society you could link it to male dominance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 13, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.