Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys find unit 1?
    I personally am so frustrated nothing in the 1920s came up, both the new deal and the second world war were my weakest areas but thank God for the immigration question.
    Messed up in the Second question forgetting that WW2 was a policy of Roosevelt. Realised in the end and switched the order but now worried that my structure is bad now but I couldn't cross it out after spending so long writing it!
    Structure was
    Successful
    Roosevelt boosted optimism of public after affects of unemployment of public
    TVA and CWA as evidence for alphabet agencies
    The war

Wasn't successful
    Roosevelt recession
    Didn't spread to African Americans as scared of republican senators (I'm a little worried this point isn't valid as not mass unemployment idk I was running out if time and couldn't think anything!)

Also not entirely sure but think I might have forgotten to write question 4 in the margin- should I be freaking out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatthehellie)
    How did you guys find unit 1?
    I personally am so frustrated nothing in the 1920s came up, both the new deal and the second world war were my weakest areas but thank God for the immigration question.
    Messed up in the Second question forgetting that WW2 was a policy of Roosevelt. Realised in the end and switched the order but now worried that my structure is bad now but I couldn't cross it out after spending so long writing it!
    Structure was
    Successful
    Roosevelt boosted optimism of public after affects of unemployment of public
    TVA and CWA as evidence for alphabet agencies
    The war

Wasn't successful
    Roosevelt recession
    Didn't spread to African Americans as scared of republican senators (I'm a little worried this point isn't valid as not mass unemployment idk I was running out if time and couldn't think anything!)

Also not entirely sure but think I might have forgotten to write question 4 in the margin- should I be freaking out?
    The war wasn't really Roosevelt's policy anyway - it was after 1941 but the question only went up to 1940. What was important was the allies buying US goods, leading to workers being hired in manufacturing industries. I had a simple why it was, why it wasn't, and the war as my main paragraphs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midgemeister7)
    The war wasn't really Roosevelt's policy anyway - it was after 1941 but the question only went up to 1940. What was important was the allies buying US goods, leading to workers being hired in manufacturing industries. I had a simple why it was, why it wasn't, and the war as my main paragraphs
    Question definitely went up to Dec 1941 and thought war is part of foreign policy?

ReputationRep:
    Question definitely went up to Dec 1941 and thought war is part of foreign policy?
    Hmm I thought it was 1940 but can't remember for sure. Either way it was about reducing unemployment and selling goods to allies as well as building up their army did that well. The war is foreign policy in part but I explained how I think the war was the single biggest factor in reducing unemployment long-term.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so so worried that I have completely screwed up a 24 Marker D: Does anybody know what the full question, or just what the time period was for Question 2 Part 4 on the influence of mass immigration. I wrote about the 1920s and I'm very doubtful that this was actually within the time period afforded to the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddiee)
    I'm so so worried that I have completely screwed up a 24 Marker D: Does anybody know what the full question, or just what the time period was for Question 2 Part 4 on the influence of mass immigration. I wrote about the 1920s and I'm very doubtful that this was actually within the time period afforded to the question
    Question 1 part 2 you mean? Time period for the influence of mass immigration on society was 1890 to 1920

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midgemeister7)
    Question 1 part 2 you mean? Time period for the influence of mass immigration on society was 1890 to 1920
    Yes Question 1 Part 2 sorry 😁 oh gosh I talked about their contribution to the economic prosperity that climaxed in the 1920s boom period! 😭 And the social influence on organised crime 😭 I'm so annoyed with myself 😭

ReputationRep:
    Yes Question 1 Part 2 sorry oh gosh I talked about their contribution to the economic prosperity that climaxed in the 1920s boom period! And the social influence on organised crime I'm so annoyed with myself
    Think It Will Depend How You Word It, Think You Should Get Credit For Mentioning They Resulted In Economy Growing Maybe Just Lose The Specific Detail By Saying It Was In The Twenties Rather Than Contribute To The Rise Of Big Business. Also Organised Crime Did Exist Before The Twenties It Just Thrived Then Because Of Prohibition, Italian Gangs In Particular Were Round For A While So You Might Be Better Than You Think (Sorry For All Words With Capitals My PhonIs Stupid)

ReputationRep:
    Think It Will Depend How You Word It, Think You Should Get Credit For Mentioning They Resulted In Economy Growing Maybe Just Lose The Specific Detail By Saying It Was In The Twenties Rather Than Contribute To The Rise Of Big Business. Also Organised Crime Did Exist Before The Twenties It Just Thrived Then Because Of Prohibition, Italian Gangs In Particular Were Round For A While So You Might Be Better Than You Think (Sorry For All Words With Capitals My PhonIs Stupid)
    Thank you so much that is really reassuring. I was so happy with the entire paper and how I had structured, answer and concluded all my questions and now this has completely thrown me off. I answered the question along these lines:

Question: How influential was Mass immigration on society between 1890 - 1920

Influential because of organised crime and media storm of Al Capone etc 1920s and 1929 V Day massacre - changed social expectations and persuaded usual non-law breakers to go against Volstead act of 1919.

Influential because 1900 - 1914 increasingly large work force to utilise benefits in USA such as the opening of the Great Plains that led to economic prosperity from 1920 onwards.

Not influential - other communities more influential such as WCTU from 1874 - 1919 - changed attitudes which led to watershed legislation volstead act in 1919 dominated social influence for a long period of time 1890 - 1920

Other more influential community = KKK re- born 1915 and reached height of popularity 1924, changed social attitudes - racism etc.

Conclusion - other communities fairly influential in affecting minor branches off socie but mass immigration more so and massively influential on society and provided the grounds for mass social and economic change.

I'm just super worried that they will give it 7/24 at the bottom of band 2 for inappropriate evidence. Only 2 direct references out of the period

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much that is really reassuring. I was so happy with the entire paper and how I had structured, answer and concluded all my questions and now this has completely thrown me off. I answered the question along these lines:

Question: How influential was Mass immigration on society between 1890 - 1920

Influential because of organised crime and media storm of Al Capone etc 1920s and 1929 V Day massacre - changed social expectations and persuaded usual non-law breakers to go against Volstead act of 1919.

Influential because 1900 - 1914 increasingly large work force to utilise benefits in USA such as the opening of the Great Plains that led to economic prosperity from 1920 onwards.

Not influential - other communities more influential such as WCTU from 1874 - 1919 - changed attitudes which led to watershed legislation volstead act in 1919 dominated social influence for a long period of time 1890 - 1920

Other more influential community = KKK re- born 1915 and reached height of popularity 1924, changed social attitudes - racism etc.

Conclusion - other communities fairly influential in affecting minor branches off socie but mass immigration more so and massively influential on society and provided the grounds for mass social and economic change.

I'm just super worried that they will give it 7/24 at the bottom of band 2 for inappropriate evidence. Only 2 direct references out of the period
    I think you have three points that are well supported like you said kkk was 1915 and although it's peak was 1924 this didn't mean it wasn't rising between 1915 to 1920, Womens temperance union is the right period and in your first point you made the point of the workforce. the only one that's slightly lacking is the prohibition point but maybe examiner can award for the point of organised crime. Definitely don't think you're limited to a seven, maybe you can even reach level four. Plus important to keep in mind last years paper an A was 54 which means you need an average of 9 on 12 marker and 18 on the 24. Obviously those can change but makes me feel better to know can gain marks elsewhere on the paper so if you're happy with everything else I wouldn't worry too much!

ReputationRep:
    I think you have three points that are well supported like you said kkk was 1915 and although it's peak was 1924 this didn't mean it wasn't rising between 1915 to 1920, Womens temperance union is the right period and in your first point you made the point of the workforce. the only one that's slightly lacking is the prohibition point but maybe examiner can award for the point of organised crime. Definitely don't think you're limited to a seven, maybe you can even reach level four. Plus important to keep in mind last years paper an A was 54 which means you need an average of 9 on 12 marker and 18 on the 24. Obviously those can change but makes me feel better to know can gain marks elsewhere on the paper so if you're happy with everything else I wouldn't worry too much!
    I couldn't be more thankful for that response! Thank you so much that truly has put my mind at rest and I feel much better about it now. I was frustrated that I had made such a silly mistake!

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't be more thankful for that response! Thank you so much that truly has put my mind at rest and I feel much better about it now. I was frustrated that I had made such a silly mistake!
    No worries, it's so easy to stress afterwards I know I have with my 24 marker. Good luck with the rest of your exams!

ReputationRep:
    The Q2 24 marker on successes on dealing with unemployment under Roosvelt definitely had the time period 1933-1940.

I remember specifically thinking not to do WW2 as it was 1941. However you could have included the fact that it was only WW2 which irradiated unemployment completely so it can be argued that Roosevelt was unsuccessful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethkendle)
    The Q2 24 marker on successes on dealing with unemployment under Roosvelt definitely had the time period 1933-1940.

I remember specifically thinking not to do WW2 as it was 1941. However you could have included the fact that it was only WW2 which irradiated unemployment completely so it can be argued that Roosevelt was unsuccessful.
    I definitely remember reading it December 1941 and thinking weird that they had put in December must be to do with war and friends think so too so I'm so confused :/ guess whatever has happened has happened but argued that was success of Roosevelt for exam same reason as ending employment so if in time period I read as hopefully that will be okay idk.

ReputationRep:
    That's so odd because I remember it being a set date and not mentioning any months but hey! Hopefully we all did really well on it! Tough paper if you hadn't revised the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The question was 1933-1940, so you couldn't include WW2

ReputationRep:
    Ok now I'm freaking out? Why are some of you saying the 02 new Deal 24 marker was till December 1941??? The paper I had 100% was from 1933-1940 because I realised I couldn't mention WW2 in arguing against the success of the policies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgie_lane)
    Ok now I'm freaking out? Why are some of you saying the 02 new Deal 24 marker was till December 1941??? The paper I had 100% was from 1933-1940 because I realised I couldn't mention WW2 in arguing against the success of the policies
    don't worry, the one I had was 110% to 1940! Not including WW2 was right!

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.