Turn on thread page Beta

Hey guys i am stuck on two questions and i would appreciate it, if anyone can help me in these two questions:

1. Define the term lattice enthalpy illustrating your answer with reference to the oxide of a group 2 metal.

2 a. How does the solubility of hydroxides of group 2 metals change with increasing atomic number?
    b. Suggest an explaination for this trend.

If anyone can help i would appreciate it very much!!!!!!!!!!!

ezy peasy questions mate.
    try reading a book. Its so explicit in the bok you just gota open it!

1. Define the term lattice enthalpy illustrating your answer with reference to the oxide of a group 2 metal.

1. Lattice Enthalpy is the heat engery released when one mole of a crystal lattice is made from its gaseous ions. eg. Mg^2+ (g) + O^2+ (G) ---> MgO

Hope this helps

Originally posted by Unregistered
    2 a. How does the solubility of hydroxides of group 2 metals change with increasing atomic number?
    b. Suggest an explaination for this trend.
    Let me guess, you're a year 12 beginning the A2 course in Chemistry, Edexcel?

2 a: The solubility of hydroxides of Group 2 metals increases down the group.

b: The size of the hydroxide ion is relatively small compared to the size of Group 2 metal ions. Descending down the group, hence increasing atomic number would cause the sum of radii between them to increase which would significantly decrease the magnitude of lattice enthalpy. This is compensated for by the hydration enthalpy. Thus, the enthalpy of solution becomes more exothermic down with increasing atomic number, causing the trend of increasing solubility.

Thank you very much guys it helped me a lot and yes, i have just started the A2 course )

ReputationRep:
    Hey this is the person who asked the question, now that i am registered i just want to say thanks.

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.