Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've got Edexcel General Studies tomorrow as my school signed me up, I haven't even looked at a paper, if I fail will it look bad on my UCAS or do unis not care about it?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j5994)
    Hi,
    I've got Edexcel General Studies tomorrow as my school signed me up, I haven't even looked at a paper, if I fail will it look bad on my UCAS or do unis not care about it?

thanks
    Well it depends on whether your offers exclude General Studies from their requirements or not. If they DO need it for you to have met your offer, then it might just be a problem. But if it's just an extra qualification, then I don't think it'll be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly ANY uni's accept General Studies as a qualification. It's mainly just for additional UCAS points. I've got my OCR GS exam tomorrow and I know I'm going to do awful. We've done two mocks and I got a D and an E but I get A's in my proper subjects (Bio, chem, psych, politics) so it doesn't really mean anything, I wouldn't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    All the best! I have general studies too and i have no idea what i will do. Plus i am not even a UK born so i already know i will flop it. I even asked my teachers to remove my name but my Head of Sixth Form insisted so i had no choice. Even my english is not that good :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's compulsory at my school too. ugh. They've thrown us in blindly(no guidance) , pretty sure I'll fail but hardy any unis consider it so I've made my peace with it

ReputationRep:
    heya! I have general studies today with OCR and have been so so busy with my other subjects I just haven't had the time to revise for it! It shouldn't be an issue as like others have said not many universities take it anyway. I was forced to do it so will be dropping it next year and I'm sure you will do the same. The biggest thing I was told was to one: have an opinion and two: use your common sense and most people pass anyway! Just think of it as topping up your UCAS points

good luck!

(Original post by j5994)
    Hi,

thanks

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter, unis won't care if you get a U or an A if you have 4 other AS subject or 3 A Level subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    heyyyyy me too :') honestly I wouldn't worry about it, having looked at the mark schemes you get an awful lot of marks for just being literate which I'd assume anyone who's taking A levels is. Other than that just bloviate and write absolute fluff for the essays and hope you pick up some points, make sure you can use a calculator for section B (seriously GCSE maths was the bane of my life but even I can do the maths on here), and above all don't worry because most universities really don't care. I've heard about one or two people that got literally Es and Us and they were asked about it at interviews, but they still got the offers. Basically as long as you do okay-ish it'll be fine and nobody cares.
    (having said that, watch out if your school's one of those ones which makes you take A2 general studies if you drop another subject after AS, mine does that so yea)
    good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    No universities even acknowledge it in your application or admission offers. Plus you should be able to do a good bit of it if you have decent general knowledge and common sense.

I got a B in the A-level which really annoyed me because I got 4 As in my main proper A-levels!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot everyone! Good luck to anyone having to do it I guess hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    The majority of Uni's don't seem to count it but it goes on your UCAS application anyway, so if you get a U that could ruin a nice string if A's. And if you get an A, it won't really count for much but o guess it does show your admissions tutor you're well rounded and world aware. I don't know why we still do it though, the negatives seem to outweigh the negatives. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to structure a general studies essay?

ReputationRep:
    *edexcel unit 1 and 2 if that makes a difference

ReputationRep:
    well that was easily the most pointless exam ive ever done, how'd everyone find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j5994)
    well that was easily the most pointless exam ive ever done, how'd everyone find it?
    agreed! first question was on comparing kitchens for god's sake ( I do OCR) Literally wasted 2hrs of my time doing that exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j5994)

I thought it was ok. I did the 2013 and 2014 papers as revision and they were actually easier compared to this one, especially on the multiple choice.
    I memorised the text book I bought for it for a week. The nuclear question was piss easy for me as I do Geography.

I entered it privately for extra UCAS points. I'm doing A2s now but completely failed my 4th AS last year but did well and ok in my other ones. Doing general studies is making it easier to get into uni.

Load of people say no one accepts it but most points based unis will allow you to add it on to your overall UCAS score.
    The uni of Liverpool will actually accept it as one of your main subjects in some departments. When I went they said anyone with an A in General Studies meant that they were a good scribe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdixie)
    agreed! first question was on comparing kitchens for god's sake ( I do OCR) Literally wasted 2hrs of my time doing that exam.
    Oh my god! yes exactly... i was like whaaat ?!? And there were all sorts of pointless questions. I kept writing tho as much as i could. Btw which essays did you do ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wajeeha Qureshi)
    Oh my god! yes exactly... i was like whaaat ?!? And there were all sorts of pointless questions. I kept writing tho as much as i could. Btw which essays did you do ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Um the media one and the HS2 advantages and disadvantages. To be honest, i can't even remember what i wrote it was just paragraph after paragraph of BS - i was just so bored at this point , mindless writing you know. You?

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.