Turn on thread page Beta

Would you date someone with a poorly paid job? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you?
    yes
    87.50%
    no
    12.50%

ReputationRep:
    E.g. working in retail for close to minimum wage?

No butthurt comments about "people are lying if they say they would" plz

ReputationRep:
    No way. People with poor paid jobs means lower levels of intellect, means stupid, means poor whilst i'm super intelligent and will be earning lots. Maybe date them like a king dates his servants, and they can earn a bit more being my PA.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a man who prefers to be 'the man' of the relationship so while i do expect the girl to work, i don't much care if it's low paid so long as she earns above say £1k per month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Strong)
    No way. People with poor paid jobs means lower levels of intellect, means stupid, means poor whilst i'm super intelligent and will be earning lots. Maybe date them like a king dates his servants, and they can earn a bit more being my PA.
    People with poorly paid jobs do not necessarily have lower intelligence! I work at McDonalds for minimum wage to be able to afford to study my degree course and more than half the people I work with are in the same boat.

ReputationRep:
    No woman of mine has to work if she doesn't want :proud:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, I would like them to be ambitious and work their way up to something or have that sort of job to help fund their education or to save up as they decide what to do but not as a lifetime job

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDarcy)
    People with poorly paid jobs do not necessarily have lower intelligence! I work at McDonalds for minimum wage to be able to afford to study my degree course and more than half the people I work with are in the same boat.
    If your smart then getting a job at McDonalds is not the worst option by far, the fact that it hires idiots and people don't want to work there means that your more likely to stand out and gain promotion.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, have done. She now earns more than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If your smart then getting a job at McDonalds is not the worst option by far, the fact that it hires idiots and people don't want to work there means that your more likely to stand out and gain promotion.
    Yeah but all the jobs you can get promoted to suck ass as well.

ReputationRep:
    No I won't.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest- I'd feel wrong to judge people in that way to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Yeah but all the jobs you can get promoted to suck ass as well.
    True, but i imagine once your in management things will be better.

I did know a school friend who got a job there at 18 and got a promotion within 6 months, not seen him since though so can't comment on progress further.

Not that i intend to go anywhere near retail.

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell wouldn't I?

I can't think of many things sadder than basing a relationship on the amount of money somebody earns.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, people who I tend to gel best with are easy-going people who don't put all emphasis on money. As long as I am financially comfortable myself, then why should I care what my partner earns? It matters more that they're enjoying their job and not coming home in a **** mood every night.

To all of you saying people in minimum wage jobs are stupid- At the moment I'm not earning much above minimum wage, because I am going back to uni in September. Regardless of that, it is no reflection of my intellect or ambition. I love what I do. I work in a mental health facility caring for people in dark times of their lives...it's incredibly rewarding and challenging. Once I am qualified to be a nurse I'll be earning more but it's not for the money I chose this career.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if they're a student or just graduated and are having this job until they get a secure one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a terrible person

(Original post by Mr Strong)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to get so much hate.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    First note that I'm going to make a few generalisations on realism relative to ME.
    The average low paid worker is as you said, highly likely to be found in an environment like retail. My generalisation is that it is likely a person unfortunately hadn't much luck or they made the choices to end up there.

If it's now, at this age, it's possible and I'm ok with it because it's more likely the person is compatible. However when I'm older I'll be working towards my own needs which will probably limit my interaction to people, especially those in this kind of employment and so I don't imagine it happening and if it did, there'd be a certain interaction gap (again the assumption said person isn't compatible because of the chances involved).

Don't get me wrong. I've gone through school with this outlook - most people have unfortunately not stimulated me in ways I'd have considered worthwhile and so it's not against these people; it is my fault and my loss - my compatibility issues. It can be said I'm unfair in that someone else who's been disadvantaged shouldn't be generalised like this but then I would reason - would they want to put up with myself? This little monologue in itself would probably turn on a few sour looks at the screen and most of you guys are probably slightly above the average citizen.
    I know, I know. Who would want to be with someone so vain anyway? I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, so long as I liked the person of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittyAnneR)
    Generally, people who I tend to gel best with are easy-going people who don't put all emphasis on money. As long as I am financially comfortable myself, then why should I care what my partner earns? It matters more that they're enjoying their job and not coming home in a **** mood every night.

To all of you saying people in minimum wage jobs are stupid- At the moment I'm not earning much above minimum wage, because I am going back to uni in Septemeber. Regardless of that, it is no reflection of my intellect or ambition. I love what I do. I work in a mental health facility caring for people in dark times of their lives...it's incredibly rewarding and challenging. Once I am qualified to be a nurse I'll be earning more but it's not for the money I chose this career.
    I know there's no way I can say this without sounding creepy but people like this would be who I'd make the exception for but like I said with the chances involved - good luck trying to gauge that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.