Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My daughter discovered that after resetting her calculator in an IB Maths test, she had it in the wrong mode, which probably means 85% of her answers are wrong. This is the second of two tests, she did well on the other test apart from missing a few points due to time, and is getting a very good grade for work handed in.

She wants to do Natural Sciences or an Ecology related degree, but now believes she is doomed because no one will accept her doing so badly on the Math Studies (easy IB maths)

Relevant info:

She is doing International Baccalaureate
    She is taking a gap year, and can resit or take other Maths subjects to A2 level
    She ideally wants to go to Cambridge, or at least one of the top Natural Sciences Unis.

Should she:

1. Re-sit the IB exams?
    2. Ignore that, and just take A2 Maths for the year?
    3. Do both?
    4. Do something else?

Thanks for your help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brianlmerritt)
    My daughter discovered that after resetting her calculator in an IB Maths test, she had it in the wrong mode, which probably means 85% of her answers are wrong. This is the second of two tests, she did well on the other test apart from missing a few points due to time, and is getting a very good grade for work handed in.

She wants to do Natural Sciences or an Ecology related degree, but now believes she is doomed because no one will accept her doing so badly on the Math Studies (easy IB maths)

Relevant info:

She is doing International Baccalaureate
    She is taking a gap year, and can resit or take other Maths subjects to A2 level
    She ideally wants to go to Cambridge, or at least one of the top Natural Sciences Unis.

Should she:

1. Re-sit the IB exams?
    2. Ignore that, and just take A2 Maths for the year?
    3. Do both?
    4. Do something else?

Thanks for your help!!
    This happened in my cohorts Maths Studies group.

My IB coordinator said that a candidate can only be penalised for having the calculator on the wrong setting once. Apparently in the mark scheme it says that you'd only lose one mark in the entire exam for this.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Pancakes! Unfortunately it wasn't something simple like degrees and radians, but we have an appointment to see the school and find out what the options are.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.