brianlmerritt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My daughter discovered that after resetting her calculator in an IB Maths test, she had it in the wrong mode, which probably means 85% of her answers are wrong. This is the second of two tests, she did well on the other test apart from missing a few points due to time, and is getting a very good grade for work handed in.

She wants to do Natural Sciences or an Ecology related degree, but now believes she is doomed because no one will accept her doing so badly on the Math Studies (easy IB maths)

Relevant info:

She is doing International Baccalaureate
She is taking a gap year, and can resit or take other Maths subjects to A2 level
She ideally wants to go to Cambridge, or at least one of the top Natural Sciences Unis.

Should she:

1. Re-sit the IB exams?
2. Ignore that, and just take A2 Maths for the year?
3. Do both?
4. Do something else?

Thanks for your help!!
IFoundWonderland
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by brianlmerritt)
My daughter discovered that after resetting her calculator in an IB Maths test, she had it in the wrong mode, which probably means 85% of her answers are wrong. This is the second of two tests, she did well on the other test apart from missing a few points due to time, and is getting a very good grade for work handed in.

She wants to do Natural Sciences or an Ecology related degree, but now believes she is doomed because no one will accept her doing so badly on the Math Studies (easy IB maths)

Relevant info:

She is doing International Baccalaureate
She is taking a gap year, and can resit or take other Maths subjects to A2 level
She ideally wants to go to Cambridge, or at least one of the top Natural Sciences Unis.

Should she:

1. Re-sit the IB exams?
2. Ignore that, and just take A2 Maths for the year?
3. Do both?
4. Do something else?

Thanks for your help!!
This happened in my cohorts Maths Studies group.

My IB coordinator said that a candidate can only be penalised for having the calculator on the wrong setting once. Apparently in the mark scheme it says that you'd only lose one mark in the entire exam for this.
brianlmerritt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks Pancakes! Unfortunately it wasn't something simple like degrees and radians, but we have an appointment to see the school and find out what the options are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads