The Student Room Group

Sky Graduate Job

So I've managed to get the graduate job. But I've also managed to leave my degree in the balance. Realistically if I got a 2:2 instead of a 2:1 would they fire me? I read the contract and nowhere does it say I need a degree or a 2:1. But it does when applying for the job so am confused.

I also have to resit an exam in July, but at that point I will of been working for them for a month. I told them about it and they said it was fine.

Anybody any ideas?
Reply 1
If it wasn't mentioned in the contract or while you applied I highly doubt they would suddenly throw it at you. All graduate jobs will make it very clear throughout the process you need a 2:1 or a 2:2. If that hasn't popped up I would worry at all.

I would of course aim for a 2:1 if possible but as it hasn't been stated I wouldn't worry about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Its on there website when applying but not on the contract. All it says and I quote, "Undergraduate degree in any discipline".

Its my last exam tomorrow and am just having a bit of a panic because I want to move out, and don't fancy signing a house and handing over a deposit to be told you don't have a job anymore.
Reply 3
Original post by mgrover93
Its on there website when applying but not on the contract. All it says and I quote, "Undergraduate degree in any discipline".

Its my last exam tomorrow and am just having a bit of a panic because I want to move out, and don't fancy signing a house and handing over a deposit to be told you don't have a job anymore.

By on their website do you mean: "we require a 2:1 in any discipline"? If so just contact them and play out the scenario to them.

Say you are planning on getting a 2:1 but in case that doesn't happen you want to make sure you can put contingency plans in place. They wont fire you over that.

I wouldn't leave it to chance. As you said you could be turned away and be stuck with a house. Just ring them and cover yourself. No one is gonna fob you off for asking.
Reply 4
Original post by apd123
By on their website do you mean: "we require a 2:1 in any discipline"? If so just contact them and play out the scenario to them.

Say you are planning on getting a 2:1 but in case that doesn't happen you want to make sure you can put contingency plans in place. They wont fire you over that.

I wouldn't leave it to chance. As you said you could be turned away and be stuck with a house. Just ring them and cover yourself. No one is gonna fob you off for asking.

Probably will have to, but checking their brochure it seems more important to them to be enthusiastic about Tech than the degree itself so hopefully thatll count for something
Reply 5
Probably will have to, but checking their brochure it seems more important to them to be enthusiastic about Tech than the degree itself so hopefully thatll count for something

They have obviously seen something in you to get this far. I can imagine they must have some flexibility in the grading. Good luck and post us how the phone call goes!
Reply 6
I ended emailing the guy that takes care of it all. Hopefully its not a sign of weakness but I don't care, I don't fancy leaving my mates having to paying off my share of rent cause something like this happened.
Reply 7
I ended emailing the guy that takes care of it all. Hopefully its not a sign of weakness but I don't care, I don't fancy leaving my mates having to paying off my share of rent cause something like this happened.

It's good that you have contacted them at least. It will save you so much grief in the future. As I said before good luck and hope it goes well for you!
There is nothing wrong with a Desmond. All the best people in this world have 2.2's! :smile:

Job adverts often specify a 2.1 or above as a means of limiting the number of applications. It is a crude way of doing this but it is what they do. As long as your contract makes no mention of it, you have nothing to worry about. They were clearly impressed enough with you at interview to give you a job so that is all that really counts. Some of the best developers I know have no degree. It is one of the few professions where merit and ability counts for more than academic achievement or who you know.

Good luck!
Is it for their Leeds Software Graduate Scheme?
Reply 10
Yes it is, I've had no reply on the matter? Maybe the email got lost?
I wouldn't worry too much about it, mate. In reality, the recruitment process for companies like Sky is incredibly time consuming, expensive and resource intense. If they like you- take that as a huge compliment. If they've let you get to the final stage, they like who you are, and what you'll be capable of in the future. Sure, your degree holds weight, but I'm 90% certain if you got a 2.2 they wouldn't get rid of you. And who knows, you might still nab that 2.1 :smile:

P.S. Don't worry if they haven't emailed back yet- recruitment is a ridiculously fast paced environment, so give it a week, and then give them a polite nudge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
who knows tbh my final exam went pretty well, I assume it was just some last minute nerves. ill let you guys know how I get on.

cheers for the replies
i know that the recruitment process for companies like Sky is incredibly time consuming, expensive and resource intense. Some of the best developers I know have no degree. It is one of the few professions where merit and ability counts for more than academic achievement or who you know. As long as your contract makes no mention of it, you have nothing to worry about. They were clearly impressed enough with you at interview to give you a job so that is all that really counts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending