Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently applying for student finance, but my parents are taking a long time to do their bit for student finance. I've nagged them on and on about it and they keep telling me they'll do it later which is really annoying as I wanna get all my finances out the way before exams.

Anyway, would I still be able to apply for accommodation even though I haven't finished my student finance? Even if I do apply for accommodation, I don't know how much money I'll get from my maintenance loan or maintenance grant (if I get one), so how would I apply for accommodation without knowing how much money I'll get? I don't want to apply for accommodation and later find out that I won't have enough to fund my accommodation.

what should I do? shall I just go ahead and just apply? Btw, I'm on a gap year so I can't ask a teacher or anything. Any help or guidance would be appreciated
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Bustamove)
    Hi, I'm currently applying for student finance, but my parents are taking a long time to do their bit for student finance. I've nagged them on and on about it and they keep telling me they'll do it later which is really annoying as I wanna get all my finances out the way before exams.

Anyway, would I still be able to apply for accommodation even though I haven't finished my student finance? Even if I do apply for accommodation, I don't know how much money I'll get from my maintenance loan or maintenance grant (if I get one), so how would I apply for accommodation without knowing how much money I'll get? I don't want to apply for accommodation and later find out that I won't have enough to fund my accommodation.

what should I do? shall I just go ahead and just apply? Btw, I'm on a gap year so I can't ask a teacher or anything. Any help or guidance would be appreciated
    Hi there,

Your situation is indeed tricky. However, I'd advise you to try and get a rough idea of how much you can budget for accommodation, (you can find our prices and the halls' banding here:
    https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/stud...ndsug15-16.pdf). Also, the deadline for guaranteed accommodation is 7 June, so I recommend you apply by this deadline even if you have not completed your student finance by then.

Best wishes,

Emily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
    Hi there,

Your situation is indeed tricky. However, I'd advise you to try and get a rough idea of how much you can budget for accommodation, (you can find our prices and the halls' banding here:
    https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/stud...ndsug15-16.pdf). Also, the deadline for guaranteed accommodation is 7 June, so I recommend you apply by this deadline even if you have not completed your student finance by then.

Best wishes,

Emily
    Thank you. My application was completed last week, I just completely forgot I made this thread, sorry for the late response

I'm not sure if student finance is going to tell me how much money I have for my maintenance loan before the deadline for student accommodation at RH.

I want to apply for accommodation before my A2 exams,(get it all out the way so I can focus on revision). I'm just wondering, if I apply for a type of accommodation now but then it turns out in the future that my maintenance loan will not be enough, would I be able to change my application? how does the application process work?

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Bustamove)
    Thank you. My application was completed last week, I just completely forgot I made this thread, sorry for the late response

I'm not sure if student finance is going to tell me how much money I have for my maintenance loan before the deadline for student accommodation at RH.

I want to apply for accommodation before my A2 exams,(get it all out the way so I can focus on revision). I'm just wondering, if I apply for a type of accommodation now but then it turns out in the future that my maintenance loan will not be enough, would I be able to change my application? how does the application process work?

Thanks
    Hello there,

That's perfectly fine, I'm glad you managed to get your application sent!

Yes it is possible to amend your accommodation choices but I strongly advise you to please read this page (particularly the bottom three paragraphs) so you fully understand how the accommodation allocation process works:
    https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/stud...owtoapply.aspx

Best wishes,

Emily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
    Hello there,

That's perfectly fine, I'm glad you managed to get your application sent!

Yes it is possible to amend your accommodation choices but I strongly advise you to please read this page (particularly the bottom three paragraphs) so you fully understand how the accommodation allocation process works:
    https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/stud...owtoapply.aspx

Best wishes,

Emily
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.