The Student Room Group

Talk about your town [German]

I have to write an essay on my town in german and here are my list of guidelines:

-Description of town
-Reason why you like/dislike your town
-Reason why young people should visit the area
-What you and your friends have done in the town (past tense)
-What you will do in summer holidays in your town with your friends(future tense)
-What will your currently doing to improve the area and the environment of the town (present tense)
-What your going to do improve the area (imperfect)

You must:
-Use all tenses
-Use modal verbs
-Comparatives and superlatives (Don't know what they are)
-Variety of sentences to show you understand word order

All I need is a brief introduction to each point and how I will join it together. Thanks.

P.S
I'm in year 9
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
So I'll give you some suggestions for each paragraph:
-Description of town - State where your town is in relation to other areas, what kind of size it is and what is nearby. You could say how long you have lived there. Maybe say where you used to live - it's another tense!
-Reason why you like/dislike your town - Begin with an opinion such as Ich Denke, as it is always good to get a lot of these in, they will get you marks. Try to think of some obscure words to use, not too difficult but the teacher will look for a wide range of vocabulary. For example, instead of using near cognates such as schwimbad, try to use more interesting places like Grünflächen
-Reason why young people should visit the area - Try using the second person here if the question allows it (man kann) as it looks good to the teacher. Try using some conditional tense here (there's a great article about this on BBC Bitesize - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/german/grammar/verbsconditionalrev1.shtml)
-What you and your friends have done in the town (past tense) - Get more opinions in here, don't make the anecdotes too long and use some good vocabulary again - think of some interesting things that the teacher will be interested in and will want to keep on reading.
-What you will do in summer holidays in your town with your friends(future tense) - Again think of some interesting things that aren't to predictable, like 'kino' or 'schwimbad' - these are used all the time and don't make for very interesting reading.

Comparatives are when you are comparing one thing to another - 'it's as big as a house' or 'my house is bigger than yours' - usually featuring the word 'as' or 'than'
Superlatives are when you are saying one thing is the best/worst/etc., but not comparing it to anything - 'my house is the coldest' or 'I am the happiest person'

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by JackHarrison
So I'll give you some suggestions for each paragraph:
-Description of town - State where your town is in relation to other areas, what kind of size it is and what is nearby. You could say how long you have lived there. Maybe say where you used to live - it's another tense!
-Reason why you like/dislike your town - Begin with an opinion such as Ich Denke, as it is always good to get a lot of these in, they will get you marks. Try to think of some obscure words to use, not too difficult but the teacher will look for a wide range of vocabulary. For example, instead of using near cognates such as schwimbad, try to use more interesting places like Grünflächen
-Reason why young people should visit the area - Try using the second person here if the question allows it (man kann) as it looks good to the teacher. Try using some conditional tense here (there's a great article about this on BBC Bitesize - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/german/grammar/verbsconditionalrev1.shtml)
-What you and your friends have done in the town (past tense) - Get more opinions in here, don't make the anecdotes too long and use some good vocabulary again - think of some interesting things that the teacher will be interested in and will want to keep on reading.
-What you will do in summer holidays in your town with your friends(future tense) - Again think of some interesting things that aren't to predictable, like 'kino' or 'schwimbad' - these are used all the time and don't make for very interesting reading.

Comparatives are when you are comparing one thing to another - 'it's as big as a house' or 'my house is bigger than yours' - usually featuring the word 'as' or 'than'
Superlatives are when you are saying one thing is the best/worst/etc., but not comparing it to anything - 'my house is the coldest' or 'I am the happiest person'

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Here is what I have done so far:

This is a basic translation:

Hello I live in Ilford. Ilford is in North London. The town has 50000 people and is over 1000 years old. Ilford has a cinema, a swimming pool, a fitness studio, a library and much more. Ilford is a great town for young people. I like the town because there are a lot of resources for students but i don't like the transport in the town as the bus can be slow at times.

It's not finished. I'm still working on it, it would be great if you can correct any mistakes or give me tips on how to improve it (we are taking the test tomorrow and we have had a supply teacher for a month). Thank you!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kartheyan
Here is what I have done so far:

Hallo! Ich wohne im Ilford. Ilford ist im Norden London. Die Stadt hat 50,000 Einwohner und ist über 1000 Jahre alt. Ilford hat ein Kino, ein Schwimmbad, ein Fitness-Studio, eine Bibliothek und viel mehr. Ilford ist eine tolle Stadt für Jugendliche. Ich mag die Stadt weil es eine Vielzahl von Ressourcen für Studenten aber ich weiB nicht wie die Verkehrsmittel in der Stadt, weil die Busse kann manchmal et was langsam sein

This is a basic translation:

Hello I live in Ilford. Ilford is in North London. The town has 50000 people and is over 1000 years old. Ilford has a cinema, a swimming pool, a fitness studio, a library and much more. Ilford is a great town for young people. I like the town because there are a lot of resources for students but i don't like the transport in the town as the bus can be slow at times.

It's not finished. I'm still working on it, it would be great if you can correct any mistakes or give me tips on how to improve it (we are taking the test tomorrow and we have had a supply teacher for a month). Thank you!

A few tips - try to combine your first two sentences, it will look a lot better to the teacher and remember that 'weil' is a subordinating conjunction - it sends the verb to the end of the sentence. Therefore I would change the last sentence to - 'Ich mag die Stadt, weil es eine Vielzahl von Ressourcen für Studenten hat aber ich weiB nicht wie die Verkehrsmittel in der Stadt, weil die Busse kann manchmal et was langsam sein kann

(add text in bold, ommit text in red)

BTW don't take my word as law, I'm only a year 11 German student :tongue:
Reply 4
A few tips - try to combine your first two sentences, it will look a lot better to the teacher and remember that 'weil' is a subordinating conjunction - it sends the verb to the end of the sentence. Therefore I would change the last sentence to - 'Ich mag die Stadt, weil es eine Vielzahl von Ressourcen für Studenten hat aber ich weiB nicht wie die Verkehrsmittel in der Stadt, weil die Busse kann manchmal et was langsam sein kann

(add text in bold, ommit text in red)

BTW don't take my word as law, I'm only a year 11 German student :tongue:

Thanks! How would I join the 2 sentences?

-Ich wohne im Ilford und Ilford ist im Norden London
-Ich wohne im Ilford, ein Stadt im Norden London

I think the second one sounds better, but I'm not sure which one is correct.

Also, how would I say 'Yesterday me and my friends went to the library, the library has a variety of books'
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Yeah the second one sounds good :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you!

Can you please check if this is right?

Letztes Wochenende sind meine Freunds und ich in die Bibliothek gegangen. Die Bibliothek hat viele Bücher die mich mit meinem stadium zu helfen. Gestern bin ich in den Museum. Es war spaB. Später hat ich gegessen. Es war gut täg.

Basic English Translation:

Last weekend me and my friends with to the library. The library has loads of books which help me with my study. Yesterday I went to the museum. It was fun. Later I ate. It was good day.

I'm not sure if this is right, at the end there are a lot of short sentences, is there anyway I can change the sentence structure because it says I have to use a variety of sentences to show understanding of the rules id word order.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Kartheyan
Thank you!

Can you please check if this is right?

Letztes Wochenende sind meine Freunds und ich in die Bibliothek gegangen. Die Bibliothek hat viele Bücher die mich mit meinem stadium zu helfen. Gestern bin ich in den Museum. Es war spaB. Später hat ich gegessen. Es war gut täg.

Basic English Translation:

Last weekend me and my friends with to the library. The library has loads of books which help me with my study. Yesterday I went to the museum. It was fun. Later I ate. It was good day.

I'm not sure if this is right, at the end there are a lot of short sentences, is there anyway I can change the sentence structure because it says I have to use a variety of sentences to show understanding of the rules id word order.

Just remember, these don't have to be true, you can make up as many things as you want. I would personally put an opinion in, thus creating the sentence 'Gestern war ich in den Museum, das ich denke sehr spaß war'
Also you could extend the 'later I ate' statement with a bit more detail, i.e. where did you eat, what did you have for dinner
Reply 8
Just remember, these don't have to be true, you can make up as many things as you want. I would personally put an opinion in, thus creating the sentence 'Gestern war ich in den Museum, das ich denke sehr spaß war'
Also you could extend the 'later I ate' statement with a bit more detail, i.e. where did you eat, what did you have for dinner

I would use 'ich denke' but I want to use the imperfect (es was), if I wanted to add opinions I would use 'weil', but I'm unsure on how to use it.

How would I add more detail to my last sentence?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Currently this is all I have wrote:

Hallo! Ich wohne im Ilford, ein Stadt im Norden London. Die Stadt hat 50,000 Einwohner und ist über 1000 Jahre alt. Ilford hat ein Kino, ein Schwimmbad, ein Fitness-Studio, eine Bibliothek und viel mehr. Ilford ist eine tolle Stadt für Jugendliche!

Ich mag die Stadt, weil es eine Vielzahl von Ressourcen für Studenten hat aber ich weiß nicht wie die Verkehrsmittel in der Stadt, weil die Busse kann manchmal et was langsam sein kann.

Letztes Wochenende sind meine Freunds und ich in die Bibliothek hat viele Bücher die mich mit meinem Stadium zu helfen. Gestern bin ich in den Museum. Es war Spaß. Später hat ich gegessen. Es war gut Tag.

Nächstes Jahr möchte ich nach Spain fahren weil ich das interessant finde. Wenn ich genug Geld hatte würde ich nach Barbados geflogen

It is still not finished I still have to do:
-What will your currently doing to improve the area and the environment of the town (present tense)
-What your going to do improve the area (imperfect)
-Reason why young people should visit the area

I have no idea on how to write the other 3, can you please help me? I know what to write in English, but I don't know how to write it in German, my teacher hasn't taught us 'improvements' yet (if there is such a topic on it). Please tell me if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes.
Reply 10
Ich mag die Stadt, weil es eine Vielzahl von Ressourcen für Studenten hat. Jedoch weiß ich nicht wie die Verkehrsmittel in der Stadt laufen, weil die Busse manchmal langsam sein kann.

Letztes Wochenende sind meine Freunds und ich in der Bibliothek mitgegangen. Es hat viele Bücher, die mich mit meinem Stadium helfen. Gestern bin ich im / in dem Museum. Es machtet Spaß (Es hat Spaß gemacht). Später habe ich viel gegessen. Es war ein guter Tag.

Nächstes Jahr möchte ich nach Spanien fahren, weil ich mich dafür interessiere. Wenn ich genug Geld hätte, würde ich nach Barbados fliegen.

My first correction was made just because it sounds much nicer.
Transport services 'run' like in English (run -> laufen).
Weil is a subordinating conjunction, that last bit just needed clearing up.
Corrected the casing of Bibliothek, this is accepted not expected at GCSE. If you're interested look up cases and prepositions.
(mitgegangen -> went with) - just a missing verb here.
Split the sentence as required.
Sorted the Museum for case reasons. Im is a contraction of in dem, either are acceptable.
In German, you don't say that something is fun, you say that it makes fun. machtet is the 2nd person imperfect of machen. If you prefer the perfect tense, you can use the alternative.
Habe goes with ich.
Sounds better to include viel, or perhaps name a food substance
Spain in German is Spanien.
You COULD say that it was interesting, or you could stretch and challenge yourself and say that it interests you. Lit. translation: because I interest myself in that.
Missing umlauts on hatte to push it to the conditional.
Similarly, infinitives are used in the conditional, not past tense.

Quick Reply

Latest