Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    x^2/3 - x^1/3 - 6 = 0

I tried to solve it but got X^2 - X -216 = 0 which i couldn't solve so i assume thats completely wrong. Am i the only one who struggled here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicnessNinjaa)
    x^2/3 - x^1/3 - 6 = 0

I tried to solve it but got X^2 - X -216 = 0 which i couldn't solve so i assume thats completely wrong. Am i the only one who struggled here?
    You were supposed to use the substition of k=x^1/3 and you'd be able to factories, find k and then cube it to find your values of x. Should have gotten -8 and 27

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicnessNinjaa)
    x^2/3 - x^1/3 - 6 = 0

This is a sneaky disguised quadratic:

x^\frac{2}{3} - x^\frac{1}{3} - 6 = (x^\frac{1}{3})^2 - x^\frac{1}{3} - 6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizard54142)
    This is a sneaky disguised quadratic:

x^\frac{2}{3} - x^\frac{1}{3} - 6 = (x^\frac{1}{3})^2 - x^\frac{1}{3} - 6
    If you look at the previous mark schemes for these kind of questions, they want you to specifically use substitution of some sorts. It's said before that if you factorise it immediately, you don't get method marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    If you look at the envious mark schemes for these kind of questions, they want you to specifically use substitution of some sorts. It's said before that if you factorise it immediately, you don't get method marks
    Why? It shows that you can deal directly with fractional indices. I don't believe this.

ReputationRep:
    Why? It shows that you can deal directly with fractional indices. I don't believe this.
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58512-m...ics-1-june.pdf

Question 6

"No marks unless evidence of substituion"

I know, I couldn't believe it either too but it's because they want you to use specific techniques.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58512-m...ics-1-june.pdf

Question 6

"No marks unless evidence of substituion"

I know, I couldn't believe it either too but it's because they want you to use specific techniques.
    Use a substitution to obtain a quadratic or factorise into 2 brackets each containing x^\frac{1}{4}

So they should give you the mark. Although there is conflicting information in the far right column, "no marks unless evidence of substitution (quadraticseen or square rooting or squaring of roots found).= 0 may be implied". Not too sure, it's a poor mark scheme.

If you wouldn't get the mark then that is disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    Use a substitution to obtain a quadratic or factorise into 2 brackets each containing x^\frac{1}{4}

So they should give you the mark. Although there is conflicting information in the far right column, "no marks unless evidence of substitution (quadraticseen or square rooting or squaring of roots found).= 0 may be implied". Not too sure, it's a poor mark scheme.

If you wouldn't get the mark then that is disgraceful.
    When I did my core1 mock,I had a question like this and my teacher didn't give me any marks due to not substituting, so I base it off that. At worst, youd probably only lose 2 marks

ReputationRep:
    When I did my core1 mock,I had a question like this and my teacher didn't give me any marks due to not substituting, so I base it off that. At worst, youd probably only lose 2 marks
    Losing any marks at all would be a joke.

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.