The Student Room Group

Edexcel History Unit 2 6H102 20/05/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AJC1997
Hey man, how did you find the Womens suffrage questions overall? Haha yeah the punch source was nice but I tried to see if there was a more complex message behind it.....some of the phrases were quite weird but I guess thats just because its a satirical magazine, I kind of assumed they were saying womens work improved during the war since they are pro-suffrage.

Did you do the b question on the property acts?

Alright mate! The B question sources were extremely generous, the A question had a lot of evidence and pieces of information we could have used, i think Edexcel were very generous this time. I agree, I came to the same conclusion as you with the Punch source: Not entirely useful as it's likely they would express such views of approval due to supporting women's cause.

I did 2 B ii - I thought it was easier and I remembered all the information required in terms of female involvement in public life. How'd you find it? For the 2 b ii question the sources practically gave the answers for the own knowledge bit! Lol

On my counter for the A question I did use the quote from the Punch source - It said "Mr. Punch did and was still teasing women about their odd ways" (Something like that). I suggested that despite being important and despite their status improving women were essentially held back and their progress was limited due to ingrained notions that existed in an entirely male dominated patriarchal society as such activity within the field of work was not apparent nor usual!
Original post by Crozzer24
That's impressive! I struggle to write that fast and by the end my handwriting is virtually unreadable! I only did around 2 for part A, spent too much time on B and left myself with 10 mins for A

You did part B first? Interesting strategy. I did kinda waffle for the part B about Gandhi, I wrote a lot about his impact on the Indian masses, felt a bit like I was writing a biography at times; quality > quantity.
Guys what did you talk about for the Attlee 40 mark?
In terms of own knowledge I talked about Gestapo Speech , Appeasement , Land Fit for Heroes , Jarrow Crusade March and Beveridge Plan. Is this enough? :/
Original post by faux pas
You did part B first? Interesting strategy. I did kinda waffle for the part B about Gandhi, I wrote a lot about his impact on the Indian masses, felt a bit like I was writing a biography at times; quality > quantity.

I also did Gandhi.

Wrote only intro 4 main p's and conclusion.

Struggled to find more points within the time-range of 19-30.
I forgot to talk about the bevridge report! For the first Attlee question
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by j5994
thank god!!!

omg i had like half a page agreeing with the question
i put how the war cost 200 million pound, supported fact that 800 million national debt
said how the conservatives who won a landslide victory in khaki election (own knowledge haha) had to pay the debt off, meant that even if they wanted to they couldn't implement social change (****)
also said that i knew that taxes did increase throughout the war

then like 4 pages for agruing w question
put how source 5 mentioned the 'unhealthy' state of recruits, mentioned how 37% were rejected from army
then mentioned how it led to the medical inspections act 1907 (written about in source 6)
then mentioned the school meals act providing 150,000 meals
then mentioned the National Insurance act of 1911 that showed that even tho they had such a huge national debt, it didn't stop the govt from social change
then mentioned how in early 1900s old age pensions act was passed contrary to the view in source 4

conclusion
obvs boer war encouraged social reform

what did you write? felt i was repeating myself over and over haha

I did pretty much the same.

To support that the boer war discouraged social reform I had about a page of writing and I said about the 200 million cost, and quoted that with source 4. I also said about 40% of soldiers who signed up for war being unfit. And I briefly spoke about rowntree and his two types of poverty.

To disagree with the claim I had about a page and 3/4. I spoke about the school meals act, national insurance, welfare state and medical inspections and also said about how the government became aware of the poor health of the army due to 40% of men being unfit etc

In my overall judgement I said that it encouraged social reform rather then disagree with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
I forgot to talk about the bevridge report! For the first Attlee question
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shouldn't matter too much - its just one point.
Original post by faux pas

Yeah felt as if it was easier to get marks quickly in part A! Yeah I wrote about how his strategies increased membership to congress and therefore made them more powerful! Did you mention anything about Ghandi's devotion to his methods limiting their effectiveness?
Did anyone do the ww1 question on tactics? My friend did it and wants to know what others put:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by legolas_09
In terms of own knowledge I talked about Gestapo Speech , Appeasement , Land Fit for Heroes , Jarrow Crusade March and Beveridge Plan. Is this enough? :/

I brought in Beveridge, appeasement, interwar unemployment, Let us Face the Future/New Jerusalem etc., and quite a bit about what the Labour politicians did during the war.

Basically little details of the campaign vs fundamental changes that meant Labour would win whatever.
Original post by katiejardine
Haven't even touched Attlee or Thatcher, guess I better get a move on:eek:

I hope you did, both 40 markers on them...
Original post by legolas_09

Talked about:

Gestapo Speech, trying to label them as communists, Labour and the Home Front, Beveridge Report (and how various acts like Nation Insurance and education changes etc fulfill minimizing the 5 aspects highlighted)

Seems like you talked about a lot. I'm hoping mine is enough!:s-smilie:
Original post by Windies
I also did Gandhi.

Wrote only intro 4 main p's and conclusion.

Struggled to find more points within the time-range of 19-30.

Yeah there was only really 1920-22 non-cooperation and the Salt March to really talk about, however neither are properly mentioned in the sources so talking about them in depth will get some marks for own knowledge I guess so all good.
Original post by Crozzer24
Yeah felt as if it was easier to get marks quickly in part A! Yeah I wrote about how his strategies increased membership to congress and therefore made them more powerful! Did you mention anything about Ghandi's devotion to his methods limiting their effectiveness?

I didn't say that specifically, though its a valid point - I spoke more about the effectiveness of his campaigns being more symbolic than getting direct power from the British, and how they moved the nationalist campaign from the educated elite to the masses.
Original post by Michael_student
I hope you did, both 40 markers on them...

Did half of each, focused more on Attlee so did that in the exam. Thankgod I did at least something otherwise I would have been screwed:s-smilie:
Anyone do the Thatcher question. I spoke about the poll tax, Northern Ireland, Cabinet and party opposition, and the economy.
Original post by Gunnarsunn
Alright mate! The B question sources were extremely generous, the A question had a lot of evidence and pieces of information we could have used, i think Edexcel were very generous this time. I agree, I came to the same conclusion as you with the Punch source: Not entirely useful as it's likely they would express such views of approval due to supporting women's cause.

I did 2 B ii - I thought it was easier and I remembered all the information required in terms of female involvement in public life. How'd you find it? For the 2 b ii question the sources practically gave the answers for the own knowledge bit! Lol

On my counter for the A question I did use the quote from the Punch source - It said "Mr. Punch did and was still teasing women about their odd ways" (Something like that). I suggested that despite being important and despite their status improving women were essentially held back and their progress was limited due to ingrained notions that existed in an entirely male dominated patriarchal society as such activity within the field of work was not apparent nor usual!

Haha yeah I think the sources were quite reasonable overall. Yeah same here for the punch source. I also tried to find a way to use it to agree with the statement (that little improvement was made) and to support source 11/12 (can't remember) and used the quote that involved 'teasing englishwomen' or something like that to suggest maybe there is a deeper message and a hint of sarcasm so maybe supporting that the improvements might have been short lived and temporary, but I made it clear this was questionable.

I did the first (b) question about the married women's property acts of 1870/1882 which I quite liked because I had gone over those acts a few times so managed to bring in some own knowledge about the acts and what they involved, overall I said the 1882 act was an important policy that blurred the distinction of seperate spheres and gave women a legal independence of their husbands in marriage - also discussed prior to 1870 and the rights they had then and what led to the acts a bit - but my overall answer was that the acts had limited true physical impact on the rights of women as a whole - because it had no impact on unmarried women and also the financial side benefited little women as many received low incomes or didn't work anyway + the bigger movement for votes/suffrage was at the core of women's rights and this had limited impact on it.....etc etc
Did half of each, focused more on Attlee so did that in the exam. Thankgod I did at least something otherwise I would have been screwed:s-smilie:

Yeah that would have been tragic, luckily for me I only revised Thatcher so I was happy
I did 2bi. On the women's paper. I just finished on time and didn't manage to read over it. I'm not sure whether I added the right/ enough own knowledge. now I'm sad and scared.
Original post by Michael_student
Yeah that would have been tragic, luckily for me I only revised Thatcher so I was happy

Bet you was! Was it about her downfall or something? I only learnt her first term so wouldn't have been able to do it at all haha.
Retaking? Oh god, lets hope it's not as bad as we hope! Maybe low grade boundaries? Because it seems like alot of people have found the paper difficult across the different topics.

Timing went horribly, I knew nothing so I ended up sitting for 10 minutes not writing trying to remember, then having to rush:s-smilie:

I did Attlee. I was praying Attlee or Thatcher didn't come up and they both did, I must have jinxed it. I only learnt half of Attlee this morning as well:eek: You? What did you think about the Alec Douglas-Home question?x

My class were told that either Attlee or thatcher always come up on at least one question so I went over both this morning and then I did the Attlee question and was happy to see the Gestapo speech and inter-war depression under the conservatives for own knowledge on the election so I completely forgot I could have put about attlee's 'new Jerusalem' society for the housing bit and the five giants in the beveridge report - squalor for housing!! Disappointed cause I literally revised that beforehand :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending