The Student Room Group

Edexcel History Unit 2 6H102 20/05/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gunnarsunn
When will they be published, any ideas?

Regards - G.

You can say the Punch magazine within that context is questionable because it supports female emancipation and the feminine cause, therefore such views are likely and deem such a source to be questionable. So you're not wrong mate, your right.

So you're saying its reliability is questionable because it supports women's suffrage, so how does it undermine itself in terms of reliability if it supports women's suffrage, that's a complete fallacy, supporting women's rights was the message of the source which has no effect on it's integrity ?
Original post by Praveen101
Your performance in one question will never affect how your examiner markas the next question, better answers would have clearly differentiated between Status (Pay and respect by men) and Opportunities (In the tertiary section and more choice) however this might set you back to about level 3 but no to the point of a C or D.

In the sources which were given, status would be explicitly linked to the fact that M. Bondfield in Source 11 encouraged conscripted employment into industries on the variable condition that women would be organised and unionized as a clause.

That's what I used as evidence in order to back my point up that women's status improved. They didn't really include pay within the sources but respect by men and ingrained discriminatory notions were apparent in the sources.
So you're saying its reliability is questionable because it supports women's suffrage, so how does it undermine itself in terms of reliability if it supports women's suffrage, that's a complete fallacy, supporting women's rights was the message of the source which has no effect on it's integrity ?

The view it expresses which supports the notion that women's status and opportunities did improve is questionable. WHY it is questionable would be due to the fact that they support female emancipation and are pro-feminism, henceforth such views are likely to be depicted from punch magazine, which one can question in terms of its usefulness.

When weighing the evidence that's what I found and interpreted, all 3 were questionable in their expression and how they emphasized and supported their views because, ultimately, they all derived from one specific belief and that was either pro or anti emancipation.

What did you think about the exam? What'd you comment when evaluating?

I hope you understand now, if not quote me again and I'll be more than happy to correct you.

Good day!
The view it expresses which supports the notion that women's status and opportunities did improve is questionable. WHY it is questionable would be due to the fact that they support female emancipation and are pro-feminism, henceforth such views are likely to be depicted from punch magazine, which one can question in terms of its usefulness.

When weighing the evidence that's what I found and interpreted, all 3 were questionable in their expression and how they emphasized and supported their views because, ultimately, they all derived from one specific belief and that was either pro or anti emancipation.

What did you think about the exam? What'd you comment when evaluating?

For the one on Punch, I wrote that they were in favor of women's suffrage therefore exaggerated women's work during the war in order to persuade the general public to support women's suffrage (described events during the war)

For the source by that committee, I said it describes events before women 'flooded' the work place but it anticipated events such as women entering in large numbers but being paid less and for long hours, however these precautions taken may have circumvented it and protected Opps and Pay
(desrcibes events before the war)

The third source was from a working men's newspaper with strong trade union ties, they were unhappy with women diluting and substituting men's jobs therefore published that in an attempt to get the public to expect women to leave and this speculation would force them to give their jobs back to men.
For the one on Punch, I wrote that they were in favor of women's suffrage therefore exaggerated women's work during the war in order to persuade the general public to support women's suffrage (described events during the war)

For the source by that committee, I said it describes events before women 'flooded' the work place but it anticipated events such as women entering in large numbers but being paid less and for long hours, however these precautions taken may have circumvented it and protected Opps and Pay
(desrcibes events before the war)

The third source was from a working men's newspaper with strong trade union ties, they were unhappy with women diluting and substituting men's jobs therefore published that in an attempt to get the public to expect women to leave and this speculation would force them to give their jobs back to men.

That's cool but did you mention whether they were useful in answering the question? So like I said for all 3 sources their usefulness is questionable because each of the Sources author's have a specific agenda.

Source 10 was during the midst and pinnacle of female war recruitment into industries in 1916, and was produced by Punch a pro-feminist magazine and article. Moreover Source 12 would be driven by the fact that demobilization of 3 million men was occurring and of course, newspapers and mass forms of publication were generally opposed to female emancipation and would express such attitudes to the contention in the question. Additionally, Source 11 was written by M. Bondfield who as the secretary of the Women's Labour league would express such opinions due to the principle that she herself was a member whom supported equal opportunities within workplace environments.

That's what examiners want to see... Evaluation. Not a narrative description.
Grade boundaries tend to be published 2-3 days before results day.
question: if you get a date wrong, but the point is still valid and applicable, will they ignore the date being wrong?
Original post by AJC1997
question: if you get a date wrong, but the point is still valid and applicable, will they ignore the date being wrong?

I believe it depends on the examiner. I was told because there's over 50 topics, your examiner is unlikely to know all the exact details, and also because they have many many scripts to mark it's unlikely too that they'll read it in depth. If they did see it, I only think they'd knock one or two marks off your band
Original post by AJC1997

I won't be too fussed about it mate, as long as the detail and factual evidence is correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's cool but did you mention whether they were useful in answering the question? So like I said for all 3 sources their usefulness is questionable because each of the Sources author's have a specific agenda.

Source 10 was during the midst and pinnacle of female war recruitment into industries in 1916, and was produced by Punch a pro-feminist magazine and article. Moreover Source 12 would be driven by the fact that demobilization of 3 million men was occurring and of course, newspapers and mass forms of publication were generally opposed to female emancipation and would express such attitudes to the contention in the question. Additionally, Source 11 was written by M. Bondfield who as the secretary of the Women's Labour league would express such opinions due to the principle that she herself was a member whom supported equal opportunities within workplace environments.

That's what examiners want to see... Evaluation. Not a narrative description.

What they want to see is cross referenced sources used to back up a argument and counter argument (which supports then disagrees with the question), integrated with the provenance which assess its reliability (Nature, Origin, Purpose and audience) , and then coming to an overall judgement in the conclusion.
What they want to see is cross referenced sources used to back up a argument and counter argument (which supports then disagrees with the question), integrated with the provenance which assess its reliability (Nature, Origin, Purpose and audience) , and then coming to an overall judgement in the conclusion.

Yes they want to see that but they want you to evaluate and weigh up the sources. They don't want candidates to describe the provenance, they want you to see if it's useful or not through assessing it's credibility and validity.
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
How did you get corruption of the church from the sources?

That was in source 1. it said that the pope's treatment of henry (referring to the great matter) lead to henry reforming the church because henry saw it to be corrupt.
The Grade Boundaries for last year's paper on Unit 2 History:

44 - A
40 - B
36 - C
32 - D
28 - E
"" - U

Overall, to get an A grade one is required to achieve 14 on a 20 marker and then 30 on the 40 marker.
A B grade would be 13 on a 20 marker and 27 on a 40 marker.
A C grade would be 12 on a 20 marker and 24 on a 40 marker.

However, to achieve a 'secure' grade attempt to gain 2 or 3 marks above the grade boundary set.

Good luck everyone!
Original post by muneebqureshi21
That was in source 1. it said that the pope's treatment of henry (referring to the great matter) lead to henry reforming the church because henry saw it to be corrupt.

Ah okay must have missed that!
Reply 735
I have a general question guys, all responses are welcome!

During my exam I noticed my handwriting went from okay to barely readable. Does anyone else find that this trend is also apparent when they do exams etc?

I hope the examiner is having a really good day the moment they mark my paper, he'd be in for a surprise!

Regards - G.

My handwriting went from "wtf" to medieval arabic. I wonder how those on the examiner reports keep their handwriting super neat. (And even then I still have a hard time reading them ...)
Original post by Uphigh
My handwriting went from "wtf" to medieval arabic. I wonder how those on the examiner reports keep their handwriting super neat. (And even then I still have a hard time reading them ...)

Aha! I think mine was worse... Egyptian hieroglyphics!

I've alway had pretty crappy handwriting guess those on the examiner reports just tend to write neat, although I do find it difficult to read.

I do wonder how we'll be judged by the examiner!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 737
Original post by Smithh98
You can just retake one unit if that's what you want to do, loads of people at my school retook unit 2 this year without having to do unit 1 again

Will I be redoing it next year in June then?

Thanks so much btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 738
The Grade Boundaries for last year's paper on Unit 2 History:

44 - A
40 - B
36 - C
32 - D
28 - E
"" - U

Overall, to get an A grade one is required to achieve 14 on a 20 marker and then 30 on the 40 marker.
A B grade would be 13 on a 20 marker and 27 on a 40 marker.
A C grade would be 12 on a 20 marker and 24 on a 40 marker.

However, to achieve a 'secure' grade attempt to gain 2 or 3 marks above the grade boundary set.

Good luck everyone!

Aghhhh. I managed to get a U last year as I got about 25 marks :frown: Hoping that I can get at least a C but I'm really worried that I ****ed up the 20 marker.
Original post by OhGod
Aghhhh. I managed to get a U last year as I got about 25 marks :frown: Hoping that I can get at least a C but I'm really worried that I ****ed up the 20 marker.

Hey! As long as you didn't mess up the 40 marker it shouldn't be too bad. The 20 markers are simple! Point, evidence from the source then a little explanation. Then a small comment on how useful the sources are. All you need to get a top marks! I'm sure you did all of these!

Don't worry about it too much!

Regards - Gunnarsunn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending