Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am coming to the end of Y033 access module, EMA is next week and going by my TMA's I should get good marks on it, I am not going to lie some of it was quite challenging as I have been away from education for 20 plus years but it has spurred me on now and can't wait to start my degree in September still not decided what to do tho.
    Chemistry seems to be the one I am leaning towards, I would love to do physics as it fascinates me but I feel the maths may be to much even more so than the chemistry degree. Computing is another subject that I am interested in but just not as much as the 2 sciences. I honestly don't know what to choose as the description of the degrees on the OU website are very brief at best. So if anyone can share experiences of any of the above degrees and what kind of career prospects they can lead too especially for someone who will be in their 40's when they pass it would be very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Start with S104 which will give you an intro to all the sciences and that will help you decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    Start with S104 which will give you an intro to all the sciences and that will help you decide.
    Do you suggest just starting off with the one module and taking it from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS-1)
    Do you suggest just starting off with the one module and taking it from there.
    You could always do that and a maths one to see how you feel about maths too. It depends how fast you want to study really. S104 is definitely a good place to start if you're unsure what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    You could always do that and a maths one to see how you feel about maths too. It depends how fast you want to study really. S104 is definitely a good place to start if you're unsure what you want to do.
    I work full time as well is 90 credits doable in year as i have set myself 6 years to complete my degree but if i could do it quicker all the better.

ReputationRep:
    If your interest mainly lies in Chemistry/ Physics then you will have to do a Natural Sciences degree and all the different subject pathways start off at level 1 with the compulsory modules S104 and a maths module (whose code I can't remember at this point in time). Unless you do an Open degree where you can pick whatever you want (to a certain extent....). S104 is supposed to be a collection/taster of the sciences as a whole to give a rounding before you pick a subject for level 2.

I've done a joint in maths & computing but the computing modules I've done have all been replaced now with newer ones and I wouldn't really be able to comment on those I'm afraid. The maths I've enjoyed but even though the modules have been replaced the content usually stays pretty similar in maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laalNick)
    If your interest mainly lies in Chemistry/ Physics then you will have to do a Natural Sciences degree and all the different subject pathways start off at level 1 with the compulsory modules S104 and a maths module (whose code I can't remember at this point in time). Unless you do an Open degree where you can pick whatever you want (to a certain extent....). S104 is supposed to be a collection/taster of the sciences as a whole to give a rounding before you pick a subject for level 2.

I've done a joint in maths & computing but the computing modules I've done have all been replaced now with newer ones and I wouldn't really be able to comment on those I'm afraid. The maths I've enjoyed but even though the modules have been replaced the content usually stays pretty similar in maths.
    Thanks for your reply yes it looks like i will go the natural science route and see how i feel at level 2 maybe i am just a bit apprehensive since I have only done an access course in 20 odd years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS-1)
    Thanks for your reply yes it looks like i will go the natural science route and see how i feel at level 2 maybe i am just a bit apprehensive since I have only done an access course in 20 odd years.
    Considering you've done an access course I would say you are reasonably prepared. Don't think access courses were about when I started my degree (or at least not known/advertised as much) so you've got a taster. Level one with the OU are designed to start off relatively 'easy' usually at GCSE/A level standard as they cater for people with no prior qualifications then it ramps up for level 2. The only issue I would imagine is how you will manage with time organisation and self discipline more than actual subject content as it can sometimes be hard getting back into the swing of studying after long breaks. But as you've done the access that should have been a gentle start into a routine again.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.