Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm currently a student nurse on my first year. I have recently come to the conclusion that I am not enjoying my course. I have been trying to enjoy myself for a while but the course just isn't making me happy. Although I got through the interview, entrance exams and had the right grades I just feel out of my depth in my course and ultimately I'm not very good at it. I really enjoy placement but i don't feel overwhelmed by it to the point that i 1) want to stay until the 24th of July at uni and 2) do it for the rest of my life.

I chose nursing because I do love to help people and I loved the idea of traveling with my job as that is a real passion of mine.
    I do really enjoy uni and i have made some really good friends .. but none of them are really on my course.
    I have a house set up for next year with a few of my friends, which I am excited about but I don't think I can carry on being this unhappy with my course.
    I have always liked being creative and loved art and this year has really made me realise exams are not my forte... especially when I am not interested in the topic.

I have told my friends and family but i feel like i will disappoint them if i give up and change course. They have told me to stick the year out but i don't know if by the end of July i will have wasted too much time to make a decision about my next academic year.
    If you have any advice, I would be truly grateful.
    sorry for the essay haha.

ReputationRep:
    Just leave! I was doing biomed and realised I should be doing nursing. I left uni after Christmas and the first couple of weeks were tough but I got through it. My family understood how unhappy I was and that it was for my future. I'm in a full time job with a uni offer for September and I've never been happier. It's hard to make the first step in leaving and you might feel comfortable but if you're not really happy, you don't have to stay. Its your life and you don't owe anyone anything. Hope things work out for you xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Leave if you don't want to be a nurse, it's a very demanding job and you have to love it because of the long hours. If it's just the Uni work you don't like then stick at it, you've only just over 2 years left. Time flys

ReputationRep:
    It is very important you enjoy your subject otherwise you will ultimately fail next year I'd switch and switch now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovelyblossom)
    Just leave! I was doing biomed and realised I should be doing nursing.
    What a weird coincidence I was doing nursing and now going to do biomed lol.

Id say leave honestly I got into my second year of nursing and I was so miserable I had a complete mental breakdown. Even though it was hard it was the best decision I've ever made. I'm now nearly finished an access course and have a place to do biomed in September and ive never been happier albeit stressed but happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered another healthcare course, such as occupational therapy? I'm off to study it in September and am definitely looking forward to the severe lack of exams! It shares enough common ground with nursing that you probably wouldn't feel out of your depth, while at the same time is different enough that you'll feel like you've made a change. From what I hear the placements are the toughest part of the OT course, so if you can tough them out the rest of the course should be easy enough for you.

Try having a look on the NHS Careers site, and see if OT or anything else appeals.

You could also consider leaving uni for now and getting a healthcare-related job, to give you more of a taster of what it's like before committing to 3+ years of study. If you search for assistant roles on NHS Jobs then you should get a bunch of results that require minimal qualifications (although you'll still need commitment and a bit of experience for most).

ReputationRep:
    I'd really recommend going to your university's career service/support service to talk things through with them. They may also be able to contact other faculties within your uni to see if they'd be happy to take you on next year in a different course (Although for anything NHS funded you'd still have to go through UCAS and the entire application process, but perhaps you could apply 'internally' for arts subjects/subjects such as English).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that. I have made an appointment with student services but I feel like i should complete the year as I am so close. I hope you enjoy your next year thank you for your help. xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for everyone who offered help. i truly appreciate it. Good luck to all of you on whatever you do xxxxxxxxx

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.