The Student Room Group

OCR FP1 (Non-MEI) 14th May 2015

Surprised I couldn't find a thread for tomorrow's paper!

I'm retaking it as I got 67UMS last year, hoping to bump it to an A now though.

Scroll to see replies

I'm hoping to get a high A, to so I don't have to do as well with S2 and D1 :')
Reply 2
good luck everyone
let's hope for a good paper
:biggrin:
good luck guys :smile:)))))))))
Reply 4
I was worried, because I didn't prepare as much as I ought to have. But I found the exam a morale boost after that difficult M2 yesterday. I was lucky with the last question because a couple of hours before I flicked through an example showing the completing the square method, so I got a cubic no problem, but everyone in my class got different answers for the very last part so I'm looking forward to see an unofficial mark scheme (also to see where I dropped marks like an idiot).
Reply 5
Hey!
Just back from doing ocr's fp1.
Can someone please say they also got 29 for the very last question? 10)ii
UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME
1) 2x^2 +2y^2
2) n/2(2n-3)(n+3)
3) matrix:

inverse of A = 1/2 * (1 -a)
(0 2)
3ii) P matrix:

P = ( 1 0 )
( 2 1-2a)

4) Proof by Induction
5i) circle center -2,0 radius 2 and a halfline from the point -2, 0 with an argument of 5pi/6 with positive x axis.
5ii) -(2+ root3) +i
5iii) shaded within the circle in between the line and the negative x axis
6i) diagram, cant show here
6ii) rotation of 3pi/2 anticlockwise followed by a stretch scale factor 2 parallel to the x acis
( 0 1 ) ( 2 0 )
(-1 0 ) ( 0 1 )

7i) + or - (3+2i)
7ii) x= 5+2i or -1-2i

8i) QED
8ii) 7/2 -2/n -1/n -1/n+1
8iii) 5/4

9i) a= 1 or 5
9ii) yes a solution
9iib) no solution and equations are inconsistent

10i) 0= u^3 +8u^2 +16u -9
10ii) 29

let me know if you have any corrections, some answers may be incorrect!
Reply 7
Those all seem correct from what I remember. I double checked all of my answers on my calculator at the end, but I couldn't check the last 2. That looks like exactly what I got, if I remember correctly.
Reply 8
Original post by Qwerty1996
UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME1) 2x^2 +2y^22) n/2(2n-3)(n+3)3) matrix: inverse of A = 1/2 * (1 -a) (0 2)3ii) P matrix: P = ( 1 0 ) ( 2 1-2a)4) Proof by Induction 5i) circle center -2,0 radius 2 and a halfline from the point -2, 0 with an argument of 5pi/6 with positive x axis. 5ii) -(2+ root3) +i5iii) shaded within the circle in between the line and the negative x axis6i) diagram, cant show here6ii) rotation of 3pi/2 anticlockwise followed by a stretch scale factor 2 parallel to the x acis ( 0 1 ) ( 2 0 ) (-1 0 ) ( 0 1 )7i) + or - (3+2i)7ii) x= 5+2i or -1-2i8i) QED8ii) 7/2 -2/n -1/n -1/n+18iii) 5/49i) a= 1 or 59ii) yes a solution9iib) no solution and equations are inconsistent10i) 0= u^3 +8u^2 +16u -910ii) 29let me know if you have any corrections, some answers may be incorrect!
Wow thanks so much!
Got all those (I think)!!
However on 8ii they wouldn't penalise for simplifying (-1/n -2/n) to -3/n would they?
Reply 9
Original post by andygeor
Wow thanks so much!
Got all those (I think)!!
However on 8ii they wouldn't penalise for simplifying (-1/n -2/n) to -3/n would they?

They shouldn't. They usually put oe in the mark scheme for those questions. As long as you showed your cancelling they should give you the mark.
UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME
1) 2x^2 +2y^2
2) n/2(2n-3)(n+3)
3) matrix:

(0 2)
3ii) P matrix:

P = ( 1 0 )
( 2 1-2a)

4) Proof by Induction
5i) circle center -2,0 radius 2 and a halfline from the point -2, 0 with an argument of 5pi/6 with positive x axis.
5ii) -(2+ root3) +i
6ii) rotation of 3pi/2 anticlockwise followed by a stretch scale factor 2 parallel to the x acis
( 0 1 ) ( 2 0 )
(-1 0 ) ( 0 1 )

7i) + or - (3+2i)
7ii) x= 5+2i or -1-2i

8i) QED
8iii) 5/4

9i) a= 1 or 5
9ii) yes a solution

10ii) 29

Got all of them apart from 5ii and 10ii

You're right with 5ii - I foolishly got -root15 + i so I'll probably get one of the two marks there
For 10ii. I somehow got 53 but that was quite a horrific question so I'm not dwelling too much on it!

Any thoughts as to how this paper compared to last years? I think the grade boundaries might be a little similar but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by URSvAir14
They shouldn't. They usually put oe in the mark scheme for those questions. As long as you showed your cancelling they should give you the mark.
brill, thanks again. Also, instead of rotation followed by x stretch, would it have been possible to do y stretch followed by rotation?
Reply 12
Guys for 10i I got a different wrong equation u^3 -16u^2+24u-9 due to a silly mistake in my expansion and I used those values in my answer to question 10ii but my working is correct for 10ii, do you think my error will be carried forward and how many marks do you think I would have lost. Thanks
brill, thanks again. Also, instead of rotation followed by x stretch, would it have been possible to do y stretch followed by rotation?

Yes, as long as you made sure to state which was P and which was Q. As in, if you said P (the first one) was a rotation and then Q was an enlargement in y you wouldn't get it, it'd need to be the other way around.
Original post by Wawasan
Got all of them apart from 5ii and 10ii

You're right with 5ii - I foolishly got -root15 + i so I'll probably get one of the two marks there
For 10ii. I somehow got 53 but that was quite a horrific question so I'm not dwelling too much on it!

Any thoughts as to how this paper compared to last years? I think the grade boundaries might be a little similar but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Much nicer than last years IMO- the cubic polynomial question in June 14 was awful. Probably similar grade boundaries I reckon.
Much nicer than last years IMO- the cubic polynomial question in June 14 was awful. Probably similar grade boundaries I reckon.

Funny that - I actually nearly scored full marks on last year's paper when I did it as a practice test a week ago :tongue: I suppose they were about the same difficulty overall though - my estimate is that I've dropped a few marks on 10ii for getting 53 and then I dropped one mark on the loci intersection - where I got -root15 + i - so at least I have the i part :wink:
Original post by Sahil_
Guys for 10i I got a different wrong equation u^3 -16u^2+24u-9 due to a silly mistake in my expansion and I used those values in my answer to question 10ii but my working is correct for 10ii, do you think my error will be carried forward and how many marks do you think I would have lost. Thanks

I'm not sure about the error carried forward; I haven't seen a question like that before. But I can guess that you'd get all of the method marks in part 1, and you'd get them all in part 2 as long as you made your reasoning clear.
Original post by URSvAir14
Yes, as long as you made sure to state which was P and which was Q. As in, if you said P (the first one) was a rotation and then Q was an enlargement in y you wouldn't get it, it'd need to be the other way around.

For the rotation it can also be expressed as a rotation 90 clockwise, centre the origin right?
Original post by Wawasan
For the rotation it can also be expressed as a rotation 90 clockwise, centre the origin right?

Yep
UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME
1) 2x^2 +2y^2
2) n/2(2n-3)(n+3)
3) matrix:

(0 2)
3ii) P matrix:

P = ( 1 0 )
( 2 1-2a)

4) Proof by Induction
5ii) -(2+ root3) +i
( 0 1 ) ( 2 0 )
(-1 0 ) ( 0 1 )

7i) + or - (3+2i)
7ii) x= 5+2i or -1-2i

8i) QED
8iii) 5/4

9i) a= 1 or 5
9ii) yes a solution

10ii) 29

I'd say i completely agree with ur answers:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending