Turn on thread page Beta

Why is men's formal/business fashion so boring? watch

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for men who work in offices or attend formal events.

They all look like clones in their suits, ties or black tie suits if a formal event. The only tiny bit of creativity or customisation lies in wearing a grey suit instead of a black one, or a red tie instead of a blue tie.

ReputationRep:
    Suits are smart. What do you want them to wear?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I hate it in general. Nothing makes me feel like a drone than being in a suite. I also hate how smart clothes tend to be less practical and more uncomfortable, especially the ****ing shoes.

On the other hand I always stress about how the clothes I wear make me look stupid so the samey nature of it means I don't have to worry as much about what I am wearing. **** knows what women are supposed to wear.

Basically I don't like the fact it kills individuality and creativity but I don't actually have any individuality or creativity so wouldn't know what to wear.

My default mode of clothing makes me look like a climbing bum. But you can't wear that when you need to look smart :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    They all look like clones i
    I suspect that was the intention.

ReputationRep:
    This is such a big bear of mine. Mens formal fashion is so prescribed, so narrow and so closed to personal flair. For every occasion there is a correct way to dress if your a man while if you are a woman you just have to stick to' look pretty'.

ReputationRep:
    It's ****e. After being a suit drone for years in my old job in the Defence industry, the novelty of getting up and dressing sharply wore very thin. I now wear what i like to work and feel so much more comfortable.

My biggest gripes with suits are that theyre utterly miserable in the summer. Women get such an easy ride when it's baking hot because apparently flowery summer dresses are "smart".
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    It's ****e. After being a suit drone for years in my old job in the Defence industry, the novelty of getting up and dressing sharply wore very thin. I now wear what i like to work and feel so much more comfortable.

My biggest gripes with suits are that theyre utterly miserable in the summer. Women get such an easy ride when it's baking hot because apparently flowery summer dresses are "smart".
    I'm sure you would have looked smart in a flowery summer dress yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinfarts)
    I'm sure you would have looked smart in a flowery summer dress yourself.
    I threatened my previous employer with this and said there was nothing they could do about it. They said "you can lose the tie if it's warm".

Small victories.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for us as well, were expected to where suits to everything from prom to weddings and working in an Office to formal events, its just so boring with no personality and frankly I feel jealous of girls in the sense that they can present themselves as individuals without people making a comment about it. If a guy put something different on, people be like what the heck is he wearing and you get weird looks.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like wearing a suit, It is actually quite practical and very comfy.

There is loads of things that you can change about how you dress to stand out from the crowd. Also it is all about the brightly coloured socks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2015
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.