And so on

Opinions from students/former students would be greatly appreciated

Regards,

Asclepius TSR
    Personally:

Durham
    Nottingham (I'm going here )
    KCL (London is hella expensive)
    Newcastle (Their course is way too practical for my liking)
    Lancaster

Durham seems to be riding on its general prestige, more so, than on the actual strength of its department. Don't get me wrong, the course looks very interesting but the department isn't quite up there in terms of research.

Notts has a general brand cachet it has built over the past 20 years or so, this is evident in its strong relationship with employers. The course is varied with both practical and more theoretical elements - the best aspect would be the ability to do a year abroad and an MSci within 4 years.

KCL is very strong because of its location. They have one of the highest graduate salaries for CS because a lot of graduates choose to stick around London, entitling them to the London wage premium. In most cases I would peg it on par with (or even a bit higher than) Notts but the expense of living in London isn't very attractive.

Newcastle is great if you want to focus on games programming, web development etc. but I felt it lacked a truly strong theoretical offering.

Lancaster is the same as Newcastle there is a distinct lack of theoretical aspects to the course. It's also assessed mainly via coursework rather than exams - that might be attractive to some more than others.

I applied to most of these (except KCL and Durham) but chose Notts in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am going to share what I know about each university, but I know the most about KCL and Nottingham. I am a Nottingham firmer as well.

I am not going to comment about the individual courses - this is something you have to look up and decide for yourself. I can not possibly know your preferences and/or expectations. There is no such thing as "the best" course

1. Durham - Apart from prestige, it does not have a whole lot going for it. The dapartment is small and there are rumours floating around of it being underfunded. Can't comment about the actual environment of the actual deprartment and whether it is friendly/supportive or not.

2. Nottingham - Strong department and the university has a strong reputation among employers. The School of Computer Science in particular has won the student oscar awards for best department two years in a row, which poeple I have spoked to attribute to the friendly and supportive environment within the department. Not to mention the continuous lab/facilities and curriculum changes/updates according to student feedback. On the research side, the department's strenghts seem to revolve around mixed reality, computer vision, foundations of programming etc. If you want to see what some of the staff are like, I would recommend you check out the YT channel Computerphile. A lot of the CS School staff members are featured there such as: David Brailsford, Tom Rodden, Steve Bagley, Derek McAuley, even the head of the school has been featured in the latest video - Uwe Aickelin.

Another REALLY important thing that has to be considered about Nottingham - it is building one of the first University Enterprise Zones in the UK, based in its Innovation Park on the Jubilee Campus (where the CS school is based). Currently they are building a Technology Entrepreneurship Centre, which will incubate tech-based start-ups. Not a lot of universities have the luxury to provide office spaces for companies on their actual campuses.

3. KCL - Good department, but the main strength of KCL is its location (can't beat London). The starting salary is high and all of the great employers and tech scene are at the university's doorstep. The course is a good mix between theory and practice - similar to that of Notts. In terms of research, the department's strengths seem to revolve around AI/Intelligent Systems, if that is your thing. I've seen the CS open day videos for CS on King's' YT channel and I recommend you do the same. Andrew Coles seems like a really cool guy, I would assume the department has a good/friendly environment.

Another important thing about KCL is that the Strand campus (where the CS department is based if I am not mistaken) is to be redeveloped and expanded. Surely this means a lot of exciting stuff for everything based on the Strand Campus. Also, as far as I know, the university has made some really strategic acquistions in order to expand the Strand Campus, which is always good.

3. Newcastle - Good department, good university, excellent course if you want something more practical. Pretty much sums up my knowledge about it.

As far as I know there are plans to construct a new science and technology building, so that is some really exciting stuff as well. I assume it will house multiple schools, including the CS one.

4. Don't know much about Lancaster, did not even consider it when applying. Just seemed "meh" all around, in my opinion.

Sorry for the long post, I hope you do not mind. But that pretty much sums up what I know about the mentioned universities.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! I've made sure to give you +Rep for your replies!

What about Southampton, Manchester, Warwick? What's the general consensus on these in terms of CS courses?

Once again, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asclepius TSR)
    Thanks guys! I've made sure to give you +Rep for your replies!

What about Southampton, Manchester, Warwick? What's the general consensus on these in terms of CS courses?

Once again, thank you
    All of these are excellent universities. You will not go wrong with any of them.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any Unis notorious for offering a good c++/Java/good mix of languages during their degree programme?

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asclepius TSR)
    Are there any Unis notorious for offering a good c++/Java/good mix of languages during their degree programme?

Thanks guys
    I think the majority of the CS courses (if not all of them) are bound to offer Java in their programme. When it comes to C++, most of the time it is available as an option.

I think courses which focus on games programming will put more focus on C++. Newcastle is one of the few RG universities who seem to be quite good for this. They have both undergraduate and postgraduate CS courses, which are video game related.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.